Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This game is fun, but gently caress ugly. Does color ever get introduced to any of the environments? And on a more gameplay related note, am I supposed to be heading into the Village of Smiles after taking down Sodden Knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are great hammers/maces just really rare? I've cleared Red Hall of Cages and I'm still rocking the default warhammer. I mean, it's ridiculously effective as is, but I've unlocked up to level 3 great weapons and I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. I do have the option to transmute it into Obsidian Pillar but the scaling is awful (albeit I'm not sure if that even matters in this). This game is really good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cool, thanks for the info. Hopefully there's a boss transmute.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The run up to disemboweled husk sucks so bad.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Inquisitor's a chump, but his bird is pretty nasty; it seems impossible to dodge through his almost instakill lightning, and it's windup is too fast to run from.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Man I wish gold didn't despawn so quickly. This is like the third boss in a row in which I've been too busy exulting to pick up its poo poo. On which note, eat poo poo Husk. I've been too lazy to upgrade shields or armor but just shock buffing my warhammer and going to town has been a surprisingly effective strategy thus far.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Are iframes just a matter of your roll type?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's a merchant in the Red Cages that wants an ear from one of the scythe wielding guys. It seems like they never, ever drop though? Are her wares worth a drat?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Witch of the Lake is really dumb.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Digirat posted:

It's scary in there .

Get good !

I'll reiterate: the Witch of the Lake is really dumb.

Also it's a good thing gold is pretty much meaningless in this or else I'd be pissed as hell at this scummy, ambulance chasing cleric.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just had to memorize her attack patterns and get good about dodging. The homing attack is bullshit, you kind of just have to get loving lucky when she uses it--you can outpace it by running /air dashing to the other end of the arena, but every other attack you should dodge close to her. It's really easy to get behind her when she spams her magic bullets and thats' the best time to get in a bunch of jump attacks. Always stay close and behind her when not dodging the homing attack.

Yeah I've got most of the patterns down. What's really annoying is her tendency to drift off screen. When that happens I can't tell what spell she's preparing and I get nailed every time. C'est la vie.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

EC posted:

Any advice for end game stuff? I think I'm in the last area but don't want to be moved into NG+ before going through some clean up.

Have you hit up the flying castle? The ronin boss?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Woohoo, finally beat the witch, about an hour before I'm off to see... The Witch. It was actually a pretty fun fight once I figured out how to dodge all the different spells, very mobile. Is there anything down the huge pit east of Siam Lake or is it just a sanctuary for the evil creed? Trying to figure out whether its worth desecrating a sanctuary or not to gain access.

e; ahh gently caress it why not

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The final optional boss fight is fun for followers of the Three. Murdering your own gods just has that authentic Souls bleakness.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Feenix posted:

Ok I beat The Bloodless Prince on my first go but it did leave me wondering how you avoid his belly splash attacks. Or maybe my roll is just too fat? It's certainly not that overburdened flop, but I guess it could be more spry... Is that all there is to that?

You can't avoid his hitbox, as far as I can tell, but you can iframe through the damage. It's a little odd.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does the roll have iframes or am I just stupidly dodging into swords and getting plowed for no reason?

You can roll through attacks and it's definitely necessary for some of the later bosses. You have to get into the odd habit of running up right into someones grill and then rolling through them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wildtortilla posted:

How does healing work in this? Is it a system like Estus flasks or is healing a consumable?

Healing items technically differ by covenant, although I think they are all basically the same. Leveling up your covenant will grant you more consumables every time you spawn at a sanctuary (bonfire, basically), of which you can choose from this game's equivalents to pine resins or estus or whatever. It works pretty well, claiming sanctuaries for a particular covenant is an interesting evolution on the Souls formula imo. By the end of my first playthrough I had two lightning buff consumables guaranteed every time I spawned and it kicked rear end.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Amppelix posted:

Wow, the Cave of Whatever (starts with an H. Haeger?) is by far the worst area I've encountered thus far. The enemies are annoying, the boss is hard, and the run is way too long. The skeletons were bad enough when you're just trying to kill them once, what with the seemingly entirely random teleporting whenever they feel like it, but then it turns out they have infinite aggro range and will literally teleport into the boss arena if you didn't kill them. And also a few of the floating enemies will follow you in as well because why not.

And then the game has the audacity to follow this mess up with the forest 2.0, this time with more poison. Ugh. At least I can better equip myself against poison.

It's probably my least favorite area of the game. On the plus side, the run up is actually very short. It's been a while since I played through, so forgive the vagueness, but if you go out and to the upper left from the sanctuary, to some rickety platforms with skellingtons in midair, you can do a running leap into the unknown and you'll end up barely avoiding death and landing a lot closer to the boss door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Reviving this topic to say that Disemboweled Husk really is the dumbest fight and the worst bonfire run in the game thus far. The shittiest part is that you can't run past any of the enemies on the way to him. They're all capable of flying or teleporting and will just follow you all the way to Husk's arena. The boss itself deals horrifying amounts of unblockable damage and can chain pistol shots faster than your stamina can recover. I keep getting into this dance where he'll just keep doing the double pistol shot without pausing so even if I nail all the dodge rolls I'll eventually just run out of stamina and eat a bullet no matter what. Plus, he's so wide that if you're in heavy armor you can't fatroll past him (and without heavy armor he's capable of one shot kills).

He's not that bad. On a more helpful note, there's a shortcut. It's been a while, but if you go to the up and left path from spawn to a... Group of disappearing platforms I think? If you jump from the furthest possible point you'll skip most of the way there, and you can easily run past what's left. I'm sure you can find a video on youtube or something.

E: this is what i get for checking old bookmarks on mobile

• Locked thread