Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Started playing this game after beating Bloodborne and to be honest I feel a little buyers remorse. None of the game after reaching... whatever this wooded area is called seems fun. I just died to a jelly and killed him but the game refused to refund my salt. I honestly don't know how to progress from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Okay just beat the Alchemist. Gonna put this game down for a bit.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Redact my bitching earlier. The game "clicked" for me when I decidedly opted to NOT shoot my build in the foot by going Pauper -> Str/Magic build. That should just be a stickynote for Souls games and Soullikes: do not do goofy experimental builds in the first playthrough

Just beat Tower of Men and I am now feeling the SotN vibes.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I find that in this game, if you're having to run a nasty gauntlet to go back to a boss, chances are there's probably a Sanctuary or Mini-Sanctuary nearby.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Really enjoying it thus far, the only really bullshit boss was Tree Of Men which i beat by jusy retrying until i lucked out on not getting knocked into the pit-o-death.

Really, picking up on the game's natural "flow" is the real difficulty here. On ToM in particular, his difficulty is all about how quick you are to get out of "oh poo poo" mode in time to really navigate that bullshit arena.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

EC posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Salt & Sanctuary: Just Use Giant gently caress Off Weapons

Big gently caress Off Weapons™

Trivializing PVE souls content since 2009.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

If nothing else I'd say the success of this game will warrant some improvements made via updates.

I'm personally kind of :psyduck: over how none of the light armor is more protective than the Level 0 Hunter's Jacket.

Seriously my jacket is the most protective piece of heavy(?) equipment as a dexterity-focused character. You literally need no other armor except maybe the pale mask (which is still only slightly better than the hunter hat) if you're going light build. I just refunded my light armor spheres. Not worth.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Nothing like painfully running an agonizing gauntlet to happen upon a shortcut back to Bandit's Pass. Why yes, I'd like to chill at a sanctuary I unlocked 5 hours ago. Thanks game! :3:

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Pitchwoods are basically making me quit this. These death drops stink of fake difficulty.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

:psyduck: Okay I think I missed a brand somewhere. I'm at the fort beyond the beach or whatever and there's a red wall I can't get past. I thought Bitchwoods was where I get that.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I never ran into that boss.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I still havent found the mire. I don't really know where to go. I guess its near um... that blue cave place?

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

I feel like I've turned this place upside down and havent found the boss though. Sorry I suck at these metroidvanias.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

This game really needs a map.

Okay goons I might have screwed myself. I dunno what the standard way of getting to Hagers is, but I got in via the Red Hall. I did have some keys but not all. There is a door by the annoying skeleporters with swords (one has a cudgel). I don't have the key to that door.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Dude guys. loving hidden-rear end vertigo statue. I remember activating this a long time ago and getting killed. I'm probs overleveled as Hell for Mr. Stench.

E: Or huskman can just destroy me thats cool too.

NT Plus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Hm. So I'm not sure where to go now. I just beat Mal's Castle because I remembered "Oh yeah I have hard light and there's some spooky light platforms in the desert!" :v: But regardless, I'm pretty lost. I finished literally every zone I happened upon in a normal playthrough.

What I hate about these games is that, with how dark everything is, it's awfully too easy to miss little doors and such. So I'm almost 100% there's something I overlooked in one of the dungeons. I guess I could try exploring the Ziggurat more? I see a few people excluding that place from optional content.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You want to be heading downwards, primarily. There's a route you can take in the...I forget what it's called, the Sunken Ruins or something, the one that bridges all of the late-game areas underneath. You ultimately want to make your way down to the bottom of that area.

Say, weren't there some light platforms in the northeast part of the Red Hall of Cages? I think there's something there, you may want to go see if you can find any secrets.

I appreciate the advice. I'll go down into the Zig to check out what you mean when I get home.

Also Tachi Chat -- I can verify that the Tachi is an amazingly good weapon for people who went halfway into the dexterity side of the sphere grid enough to use the Stella set, then decided to use sword 'n' gun. Hopefully end-game won't render my +6 Tachi useless.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Same. Just killed the Ziggurat boss in time for work. gently caress those clayface leapers by the mimic though. Jerks.

This game is fun when you know the way forward.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Fuzz posted:

It's scratching both my Metroidvania and Souls itches at the same time. It's way too good.

My only complaint so far is that the vast majority of Light Armors are total trash and look bad, to boot. The whole point of Fashion Salt is to at least look good if you're using silly looking gear!

Upgraded boatman set is what I'm rockin with Stella gauntlets. It looks okay. :shobon:

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

So I found uhh... not-Seath. He's a jerk. Any GLG (Goon League Gaming) pro strats? I have a third tier gun, a shield, and a third tier sword sword.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Edit2: So if you die from poison (after the source of the poison is dead) and if there are no other monsters around you just lose your salt?

It... depends. It's not always a matter of poison but some enemies do wind up killing themselves and yourself in the process (I think those slimes in that one foresty area by the Mad Alchemist do one such attack). In such cases, yes you will lose your salt although the game will tell you otherwise. It's happened to me several times in the PS4 version and it was such a pain in the rear end.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Fuzz posted:

It's just like a Souls game. The salt is ultimately trivial.

Adding to this, yeah once you get over that initial separation anxiety from the splurge, it's not so bad losing enough salt to gain 1 or 2 levels. It happens and these games may have even been designed around it. Of course this doesn't mean shrug off every time you lose 100,000 salt / souls and just be bad. But if you really feel burned by that separation from your progress, the returns do improve the farther in the game you get where enemies just drop too much salt.

:darksouls:

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

^E: Also so much this. gently caress those things forever.

That is pretty much my only gripe for this game aside from the weird gear balance. The platforming has definitely made me just put the game down for a night. It's a bit easier when you get the air dash but only somewhat. I just hate having to trust the wonky cliff-grabbing mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

unless they're some supreme bullshit I would still much rather have hard enemies than punishing platforming.

Well. :staredog: They are more than eager to provide a healthy serving of supreme bullshit.

• Locked thread