Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It took me way too long to figure out how to use the Stone Guide in this game. I thought I'd need one at any sanctuary I wanted to fast-travel to, so I wasn't placing them and agonizing over where the best places would be. Now I know I can just place one in whatever sanctuary I want and use cheap horns to warp to him, then travel elsewhere from there. It's making things a lot easier.

I'm still pretty early on--I just got the walk-on-the-ceiling brand--and I'm in love with the Infantry Pollaxe. Is this thing every going to peter out and/or are there even better polearms out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demtor posted:

I'm definitely in the Big gently caress Off Weapon camp. :black101: Beat my first play through with great hammers/axes and prayers. I would cast Divine Blessed Weapon, Ethereal Intervention and Divine Armor right before every boss and I never had any problems with any of the bosses really.

I'm heading in that direction myself, only with greatswords and prayers. I wasted a bunch of pearls on spear stuff, though, so I'm lagging behind on the prayer side of things pretty thoroughly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I ended up not enjoying Dark Souls 3 very much. This game looks rad and I want to buy it on my PC now. Is there a big weapon variety (that's worth using?). I thought the weapon selection was cool in DS3, but big weapons were a disadvantage in PvE and every weapon felt the same to me. Is that a problem in S&S?

Not even a tiny bit. Big weapons own in Salt and Sanctuary. I might even go so far as to say that greatswords in Salt and Sanctuary occupy the same spot as straight swords in Dark Souls 3, though of course without the PvP element.

It's worth noting that magic is also very viable in Salt and Sanctuary and quite a bit flashier than it is in most Souls games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree, Salt and Sanctuary feels harder than any Souls game to me, and I really do think it needs a map for all of the reasons everyone points out. Deaths by gravity are distressingly common for me, too--I wish it was possible to pan out and around a bit so you can at least consistently see if a drop has a bottom.

I had a lot of trouble with some of the bosses, too, mostly because I had a hard time getting a handle on the iframe timing on rolls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Uh, you can? Right analog stick, dude.

As for maps, there is one provided by the devs and labeled with area names on the wiki.

It's lacking details but it is accurate to the gameworld.

It doesn't pan that far, though, which is one of those things that isn't an issue in a 3D space and would be less of an issue with an accurate, in-game map like the post-SOTN Castlevanias have. Like, that map is cool, but I'm talking about a detailed map of each area that fills in as you explore like Castlevania has. It's harder to orient yourself in a 2D space, especially without really, really distinctive landmarks, which is why a game like Dark Souls has no need of an in-game map but Salt and Sanctuary would really benefit from one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone have tips for a mage build? I think I might do another run of this soon and magic looks fun and flashy. Is there a best creed (Fire and Sky vs. whatever the dark one is)? Is it worth it to make a hybrid build to use one of the magic-scaling swords?

Wildtortilla posted:

How does healing work in this? Is it a system like Estus flasks or is healing a consumable?

It's like Estus--you get refills by resting at sanctuaries. You can also level up your creed allegiance for extra heals or unlock more healing item slots in your skill tree. There are also healing consumables that are like DS2 Life Gems.

One cool thing is that you get a different healing item depending on the creed that a sanctuary belongs to. They all work the same (as far as I know), it's just a neat flavor thing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 18, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How worthwhile is Wisdom in this? I'm considering a Strength/Wisdom guy for my next playthrough and going all-in on both, but I'm curious if the high-rank prayers and the few Wisdom-scaling weapons are worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fuzz posted:

There are several guns later on that just poo poo out damage, including the Gunsword which requires skill in both Firearms and Swords, but is HILARIOUS with the right buffs and ammo. It's also one of two weapons in the game that lets you retain an offhand ranged attack while still being able to equip a Charm. The Charm also buffs the projectiles... :getin:

Welp, I guess I know what my next build is.

What buffs would you recommend in this case? Or are we just talking using Pages with the appropriate elemental damage types?

• Locked thread