Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like a fun game, but coming from Dark Souls 3, I get a real strong feeling of deja vu in the sense of the first boss completely wrecking me. Yes, gitting gud and all that. Also getting used to the controls takes a while - I don't know if I should be blocking the Sodden knight or rolling. Seems like in the 2nd phase his combo is just too much to dodge, rarely giving me an opening.

e: Man, I really don't like getting comboed/hit while in the animation of getting up/ recovering. Not much I can do there. Is there a fast recovery mechanic?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Everything goes well until the final phase but then it seems like his combos are just all over the place. He can jump halfway across the screen and hit me or he can do his little electric attack, jump and then attack behind himself too. It's kinda hard to find a window for attacking there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I managed to beat him, but it was more frantic button-mashing than executing a well-thought counter attacking strategy.

Somehow I don't think this will get easier. But on the other hand, I had the exact same feeling starting DS3 some time ago, and I did manage to beat that one. So let's see how this one goes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've just beat the Mad Alchemist and I'm starting on the Sunken Keep (incidentally, already ran into the next boss down there!). Should I put some points towards the big-rear end greataxe, or keep using my Kureimoa?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can I dismiss an NPC from a sanctuary? I kinda would like a travel guide and a blacksmith in Bandit's pass but I already filled it leaders and magic NPC's which I'm not gonna use.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Platypus Farm posted:

For any of you new guys to the game thinking it's hard, the difficulty curve is sort of like a Souls game, but sort of not.

At the beginning, you're super loving weak and it's hard to get much done. But at the end, when you have an upgraded tier 3 weapon, you will demolish bosses in two hits and the entire game becomes a snooze fest of lovely level design.

Well, I'm sorta already feeling this. I'm using my upgraded .. want to say level 2? 3? Warhammer and the last two bossfights Kraekan Cyclops and the Wurm have basically been slugfests where I just try to hit them a lot before they kill me.

Also where do I find the amber thingie needed for transmutations?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really fed up with Hager's cavern. The lightning shooting witches and the teleporting skeletons can just stuff it. Is this place necessary for continuing on with the game?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I gotta say that slowly creeping my way through along the suggested progress route, the hardest boss so far is The Third Lamb. He just seems a bit unpredictable and pretty fast chaining his attacks. I'm trying to coat my weapon with the fire philter, but it only lasts for so long. I'm level 62, can use either Headtaker 2 or Obsidian pillar 3.

On another note, it feels like you really have to pump endurance to be able to wear even one part of the best heavy armor. Kinda makes me feel like putting points there was a waste since apparently ^^^^^^^Fashion Salts is in effect.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat The 3rd Lamb and a few other bosses too. Currently finished with Ziggurat, but looking at the map, I think I missed the Floating castle. So I guess I should head there next. I'm sporting the big-rear end anchor (Castaway's Greatadze) but even with highest tier in the weapon skill, you can't one-hand tier 5 weapons, right? It's a pain when you have a torch lit.

Also, something that bothers me: if you ride the elevator in the Red hall of Cages until the very bottom, there's a locked gate on the left and a lever on the other side. Now, I've been going all the way down on Hager's cavern but haven't been able to find that route. What do I need to do?

Incidentally, I followed a random path to the west of Hager's cavern, ended up in some church ruins, fought a huge armor guy and found out I'd been going under the Mire of Stench 'till the beach. I love secret corridors like that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, after being stuck at the Third Lamb for a while, I made some progress and now I'm stuck at the Witch of the Lake. It's hard to avoid her machine gun spell barrage if you're in the wrong spot. Maybe a 100% arcane shield would be good for this one? I'm still running my big rear end weapon build with a maxed out Bonecrusher and .. whatever it's called, the same tier greataxe.

I am pretty happy though to ace the Pitchwoods jump sections pretty fast. Guess my history with Mega Man disappearing blocks came in handy. (that boss was a cakewalk compared to the Witch.) F*k the unicorns though. Never managed to kill even one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I finally beat the Witch of the Lake. I didn't even know you could use the Mirror shield to parry magic attacks, which helped tremendously. Her purple arc attack still made things difficult, though.

• Locked thread