Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I hear this game is awesome as gently caress. Dammit! Too many good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This game totally looks like my jam, but dammit DS3 is coming out in like 2 weeks and I don't game enough that I could beat this in that much time. :argh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I beat the first boss and an NPC told me to go back to where I started. Found the Village of Smiles but this Bronze Knight is destroying my poo poo and taking more damage than the actual first boss. I'm guessing he's like a Black Knight, but it's there some trick to bypassing him, because he's chasing me clear across the town and it's getting tiresome.

I also think I might have made a dumb choice going with the Hunter, but dammit I wanna look like Indy/Belmont! Should I bother upgrading this whip? It's really underwhelming.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I'm in the Sunken Keep now. Killed the Jester and the Queen of Smiles on the first try... starting to live the whip, mainly because it hits all around you and you can flat in the air to hover with it. Damage is meh, hope to find a better one soon. Using the soldier spear as my backup.

This game is great. Started dabbling in prayers, but not liking how they murder your stamina bar. It's there any way to respec? The Tree seems to indicate you can remove skills.

Also should I bother changing Creeds? Still following the Three, wondering if I switch and drop a Leader I might get some different quests... Having a permanent lightning buff is awesome, I'm kinda in love with this game's system.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Is there anything another Creed would offer me? Trying to go in cold, playing as a Belmont - whips and spears, prayers, and light armor. Small shield, just because.

I killed the Cyclops and am trying to figure out where his key goes... I have the flipping upside skill, it's there something else I should have had by now?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm in the Red Cage area now. Found a Tachi, on a whim tried using it... holy poo poo, even upgraded it's better than my level 4 Martial Flail, what the gently caress. Leveled it up to 4 and I am MURDERING everything in sight. Red Lord? Parry x2, dead. Split Swordsmen? Parry, then slash an extra time. Holy poo poo whips are terrible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I am sword and shield, I just want to use it as my interim until I can make that Flint and Steel gun since I rarely use Triangle for anything other than drop attacks and who doesn't want a sword that's also a gun?

I also have an option to transmute something called a Phoenix Tail with what appears to be endgame poo poo. I am curious what the hell it is since it says Swordwhip which has me really hoping it's like a crazy Threaded Cane and Triangle is a whip attack or something. That would be cool as hell.

As it stands, I'm saving up Gray Pearls to unspec all the dots I used to get Prayers level 2 because I pretty much never use them and Bless Weapon doesn't make it worth it. Going to go for the Souls style Quality build with more focus on Dex, since that's been working really well overall.

Good thing you only need Level 2 Shields if all you want is parry and the occasional 100% resists!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I started using the Steel Centipede and holy poo poo it's amazing. :allears:

Doesn't hurt that it looks awesome, too, but drat that whip -> leaping lunge combo is awesome. Basically has replaced my Tachi and I prefer it over my Flint & Steel mainly because I can rock a shield with it, though I'm finding I use my shield less and less now, just like a Souls game.

Just cleared the Ziggurat, have all (?) four traversal powers, and am now headed down into the Ruined Temple... I feel like I missed an area somewhere (other than Pinewoods below the Far Beach) but I'm not sure what. Beat the lower Ziggurat boss on my first try. :feelsgood:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's scratching both my Metroidvania and Souls itches at the same time. It's way too good.

My only complaint so far is that the vast majority of Light Armors are total trash and look bad, to boot. The whole point of Fashion Salt is to at least look good if you're using silly looking gear!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NT Plus posted:

Upgraded boatman set is what I'm rockin with Stella gauntlets. It looks okay. :shobon:

I'm using a mix of that, the Clay mask, and the Bloodbound set to look like a psychopath.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Got to Hägars Cave. Game went from medicore to superbad. What a wash.

Your username is appropriate! :smugbert:

Only got to play briefly last night, found the floating castle over the ginormous crater. Really love the design and vibe of the world, the island has a great sense of scale. So far the only lovely area was the mire, and mainly because of loving fall damage. The Mighty Boosh reference more than made up for it, holy poo poo. :allears:

I finished the Priestess and the Thief's storylines, haven't seen the Wandering Knight in awhile. The Steel Centipede is still the poo poo, and I'm starting to use my Flint and Steel more often, though the attack speed is still slow and lovely. I feel like I must be nearing the end,which makes me sad... overall a great game, but it could have been a little harder, I think. Maybe I'm just overleveled right now, though (62).

I do like the whole stat tree system, and in a lot of ways it's superior to the Souls game since looking at how the tree expands kinda gives you a solid idea of what stats to focus on, and giving you the option to level up each stat boost up to 3 times is nice if you want to focus on upping your damage without hunting around the tree for extra paths to branch into. Some may not like how you can't be flexible with your weapons, but I don't mind it.

The only option I could suggest adding would be a full respec NPC, unlike the Gray Pearls. That NPC would literally wipe all your Pearls completely so you can start over, but you'd still be limited by following the paths, giving the Gray Pearls some use.

Genocyber posted:

I liked Hager's although the boss run is p. bullshit.

There's a fast way to get to him, just go up from the Sanctuary, across the platforms with the bone archers and the blue disappearing ones, and then jump to the left. You'll take a little fall damage and then have to kill the shrieking ghosts, but then it's a straight shot to the boss.

Trick to him is to stay up in his grill and roll past him twice for most of his attacks since he does them mostly in pairs and will switch halfway. Just get away when he fires straight up.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 6, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Genocyber posted:

A cool combo you can do with any projectile attack (e.g. certain spells, xbows, and pistols) is firing right after doing a melee attack, which will immediately fire a shot and have you dash backwards quite a bit. It's useful and cool+fun to do. Makes being a spellsword sort of character much more fun.

Flint and Steel is pretty awesome for this, plus unlike a weapon and gun combo you can still equip a charm, which is huge.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Tomb of the Deadp Gods can go dick itself with some of the jumps.

On the topic of unreachable items, there's one above the Inversion stone in the Flying Castle that I can't figure out how to get to... You can't wall jump on the walls to left, no matter how hard I try.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just beat it. Pretty drat awesome game. Tempted to start again with another build until Tuesday...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The higher rank weapons aren't even necessarily better. Most of them are actually straight up worse than some of their Level 3 or 4 counterparts.

I started a new game trying to use Scythe + Magic + Heavy Armor as a nice change from Dex Sword + Light Armor + Shield, and I was facerolling the game early on when I was, ironically, using a Greatsword. Switched to a Haymaker and then managed to get a Red Lord ear early to make the Black Crescent (now IV), but holy poo poo I have hit a wall with Hager's/top of the Dome... I can probably kill the HUsk, gotten him down to almost dead, but the damage output is just not hitting that sweet spot even though I've been stacking Dex and Str where I can. The Lamb is just a dick and unless I get lucky and he spams the lightning attack, I can't get him below a quarter health, almost got him one time.

The problem is to not have the fatroll you need to have a STUPID amount of Endurance, and unlike DS Endurance doesn't boost anything other than carry weight. I'm stuck using a Split set mixed with a Warden Smock and no helmet for fire resist gear, and as it stands now I HAVE to wear an Endurance ring and a Str ring just to have decent damage output. I'm probably underleveled (42ish) but I don't remember having nearly this much trouble last time, and I feel like my damage output with the Steel Centipede was straight up better.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuligin posted:

Healing items technically differ by covenant, although I think they are all basically the same. Leveling up your covenant will grant you more consumables every time you spawn at a sanctuary (bonfire, basically), of which you can choose from this game's equivalents to pine resins or estus or whatever. It works pretty well, claiming sanctuaries for a particular covenant is an interesting evolution on the Souls formula imo. By the end of my first playthrough I had two lightning buff consumables guaranteed every time I spawned and it kicked rear end.

Some of the covenants have weird effects attached to their healing items, and some have healing items that are straight up better than the others. Each Covenant gets access to 4 different items along with a healing item, usually one of these is a Mana Potion that is basically an Ashen Estus, but the other 3 vary drastically between covenants. As you do Quests for the Leader NPCs of a given Covenant (place a Leader in one of their Sanctuaries, somewhere. It upgrades all sanctuaries of that Covenant with the bonuses) you will get an option to pick one of the 4 items. Whichever one you pick you will ALWAYS get whenever you rest/respawn at a Sanctuary of that Covenant. Some Covenants have some really badass damage buff type items a la Resins in Souls games, while several have unique items like the Mage Covenant which has a few special magic boosting items and such.

Amppelix posted:

Next up, guns. I've been offhanding a pistol since I coincidentally picked up the skill for it, and it just seems really really bad. It does AoE damage and can be aimed, but the damage is like, not actually better at all than my melee weapons and the range is rear end. I can barely hit anything that I can't already reach otherwise, and the ammo is expensive as heck. Do guns suck? Or do I suck at using them?

There are several guns later on that just poo poo out damage, including the Gunsword which requires skill in both Firearms and Swords, but is HILARIOUS with the right buffs and ammo. It's also one of two weapons in the game that lets you retain an offhand ranged attack while still being able to equip a Charm. The Charm also buffs the projectiles... :getin:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 19, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Did this game ever get a balance patch? I remember being really disappointed when I tried a poison/dagger build and both of those things turned out to be terrible. It's kind of dumb to make a poison-centric creed when it seemed like the majority of consequential enemies are immune to it.

There's a good variety of strong builds though, so don't let that scare you off if you're on the fence...

Don't think it did, but supposedly the dev was going to patch in some more content at some point... I'm not sure if that ever panned out, but maybe if the PC sales are good we'll see some more life out of it. I think the main problem was that it came out on PS4 only around the same time as The Division and then it was just overshadowed by Dark Souls 3. The fact that they're releasing it now after a large number of people have chewed up DS3 and want more is probably a great move, and hopefully it gets a lot of visibility and people grab it because it's seriously a phenomenal game. I actually enjoyed it more than DS3, call me a shitlord.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Alright, that's as good a permission as any to ignore armor and play dressup instead.

Yeah, Fashion Salt wins out, though good fire and lightning resist will make some bosses hilariously easy vs poo poo-in-your-open-mouth hard.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Popelmon posted:

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Cost me the Alchemist reward salt :(.

It's just like a Souls game. The salt is ultimately trivial.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

Welp, I guess I know what my next build is.

What buffs would you recommend in this case? Or are we just talking using Pages with the appropriate elemental damage types?

I went with the Trinity because they get the Fire and Lightning buffs as rewards. Then took a few levels of Prayers to be able to use Holy weapon, though you could just as easily go Arcane instead.

Towards the end the gun does like 200+ damage a shot and you can really easily swap in a shield on the fly in the middle of combat to avoid eating attacks. It's a pretty hilarious playstyle that made the final boss in particular a complete joke, and the Tomb boss literally a trifle to deal with assuming you did a certain quest and picked the shield as your reward.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Everything goes well until the final phase but then it seems like his combos are just all over the place. He can jump halfway across the screen and hit me or he can do his little electric attack, jump and then attack behind himself too. It's kinda hard to find a window for attacking there.

Watch some videos.

Or focus on dodging his three hit combo and getting a hit in after, or wait for the lighting -> leap chain and punish him after it, since there a big window there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Wow, the Cave of Whatever (starts with an H. Haeger?) is by far the worst area I've encountered thus far. The enemies are annoying, the boss is hard, and the run is way too long. The skeletons were bad enough when you're just trying to kill them once, what with the seemingly entirely random teleporting whenever they feel like it, but then it turns out they have infinite aggro range and will literally teleport into the boss arena if you didn't kill them. And also a few of the floating enemies will follow you in as well because why not.

And then the game has the audacity to follow this mess up with the forest 2.0, this time with more poison. Ugh. At least I can better equip myself against poison.

Go up from the main sanctuary to where the bone throwing skeletons are and the vanishing blue platforms. Cross the platforms to the ledge that has some item on it. Equip whatever fall mitigating spells/items you have and running jump to the left.

Tada, you just skipped 80% of the run to the boss.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Is there some way to buy more phials of undersight? I'm using them faster than I'm getting them back for the invisible assholes.

e: nvm, figured out I could just grind the group of whispermen near the sanctuary without using phials.

If you level up a Covenant enough, you can buy them from the merchant.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Not every creed works though!

Well yeah, every Creed has its own sell list for the Merchant. Some of the weapons can only be gotten via a certain Creed at a certain level.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm another Steam late-adopter now that I'm almost done with DS3. I guess heavy armor and greathammers/axes are the way to go for a first playthrough? I just found the claymore and have an upgrading question: I know I can transmute this to other things, but do I lose the upgrade levels if I do that? I have a bunch of hair that I can use to make this +1, +2, etc, but will it go back to +0 if I transmute it to something else? Also, when do I find my first greataxe/greathammer? I'm only in the Village of Smiles so yeah, very early still.

Transmutation will lower the weapon level by 1. Always check to see if you can just transmute another weapon if you're not sure if you're going to like the new toy... you don't want to end up in a situation where you transmute your main weapon and then the new one has a different moveset you don't like or something. Generally speaking, weapons transmute based on type, so if your CLaymore can be transmuted, probably any 2handed sword can, which means you can just use some trash one you've found or just buy a new one from the merchant and transmute that.

EDIT: Quote!= Edit. Sorry for the double post.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Wiki tells me the class 2 greathammer is

I think there's another hammer that's in the same class in the Steel Creed's merchant tree... think it's at a lower devotion, as well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Can I dismiss an NPC from a sanctuary? I kinda would like a travel guide and a blacksmith in Bandit's pass but I already filled it leaders and magic NPC's which I'm not gonna use.

Not sure... you can try attacking them to kill them...

:unsmigghh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NT Plus posted:

^E: Also so much this. gently caress those things forever.

That is pretty much my only gripe for this game aside from the weird gear balance. The platforming has definitely made me just put the game down for a night. It's a bit easier when you get the air dash but only somewhat. I just hate having to trust the wonky cliff-grabbing mechanic.

There's a spell and a ring that mitigate fall damage slightly, but yeah... still pretty rough.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Hey, I beat it! At something like 25 hours played. Pretty meaty game for such a small studio (and price!). I don't think the level design really noticeably deteriorated towards the end, although I would have liked it if the final areas had like any small enemies. The only things there were huge hard to kill dudes which gets exhausting. Also, I literally had to look up a guide on what to do at one point in the crypt because one jump was so hard that I actually though I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.

Another nitpick I have is that I think, game balance wise, the game's a bit too short. I had no chance to actually use the highest tier of weapon because the game was over before I was able to grind my way to both upgrading one and getting the skill to wield it. This might have something to do with me beelining for rank 5 prayers first, but it still kinda feels bad when the big weapon I was eyeing for the whole game never actually got to do anything.

But other than that, great game! I'll probably do both NG+ and a new character at some point.

Try a mage, or try another Creed. Some of them are pretty drat different.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Is there any good fast weapon for use with a shield? So far I've been using the Haymaker and is better than the other 1h alternatives with it's reach and speed even with the lovely scaling.

Steel Centipede is your friend. It's a fast sword that turns into a whip for reach. So drat good. Phoenix Tail is also similar, plus it does fire damage, but it's hard to get.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, and it's a great deal for like $15-20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Reviving this topic to say that Disemboweled Husk really is the dumbest fight and the worst bonfire run in the game thus far. The shittiest part is that you can't run past any of the enemies on the way to him. They're all capable of flying or teleporting and will just follow you all the way to Husk's arena. The boss itself deals horrifying amounts of unblockable damage and can chain pistol shots faster than your stamina can recover. I keep getting into this dance where he'll just keep doing the double pistol shot without pausing so even if I nail all the dodge rolls I'll eventually just run out of stamina and eat a bullet no matter what. Plus, he's so wide that if you're in heavy armor you can't fatroll past him (and without heavy armor he's capable of one shot kills).

Good thing he's completely optional.

• Locked thread