Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I just grabbed this thing on a whim to keep myself sane while I wait for DS3, and I'm really enjoying it.

For the first hour of playing it or so, I really hated it. It just felt janky and lovely, and I hated the character designs. And then I got to the queen of smiles, and immediately fell into my "souls zen" where I was learning a little more, dying, and then repeating until she died. Now I'm completely hooked. Started with a paladin but I immediately stripped all his clothes off and now I'm rolling around with a pumpkin on my head and a claymore III shredding every goddamn thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game definitely clicked for me there too. It's a little hard to adjust and I think the game gets much better the further along you get and the more mobility options you unlock. You feel very weighed down at the start of the game, which does very well capture the Souls vibe, but the game feels and plays a lot better once you have a bit more freedom to do more than just roll and swing.

I think the biggest hump for me was the dodging/rolling mechanic. Like how in souls, you dodge to avoid a weapon, but in this one you can just dodge straight through it. I think I finally GOT IT when I accidentally rolled through QoS's "both swords on the ground, run at you" move and I was like "oh poo poo THAT is how it works."

The only other criticism I have is that I don't really like the secret doors. It feels too much like wandering around in Doom humping the wall by mashing spacebar until some random wall opens. I'd rather them open via hitting, but that's a pretty tiny whine.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Hate to break it to you but you've been playing Souls wrong. Dodging lets you pass through enemy weapons undamaged and is by far the most effective way to play.

I said "weapon" when I meant "enemy". It's weird to me that in this game you just roll right through the bad guy instead of just the weapon. I guess the best way to put my confusion is that the timing often seems strange or very picky. It's almost like the hitboxes on enemy attacks are very different than they are visually represented in the game.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

Actually, from the optional boss's salt, plus all the salt items I had stashed, plus blowing all my gold on salt pouches, I was 10k short from the transmuting the rank 5 greataxe, which I farmed and completed. Then killed the final boss in half a dozen hits. As people have said, the end of the game is very untuned. And I'm still annoyed that it's seemingly impossible to wear the entirety of the titan set you find early in the game and still be able to move. I wore the Sodden Knight's breastplate the whole game as a result.

Pretty solid game. I'm going to wrap up the last couple trophies and think it over some more.

I think it's pretty funny (ending spoiler) if you're the atheist creed and choose to take the helmet, the poem at the end starts with "superstition" and the hero willfully disbelieving any of the possible godly/supernatural things he's seen the whole game.

After finishing the game a few minutes ago, I think I agree with you completely.

It's a fun game, definitely a great start to the series if there is one, but holy gently caress were the bosses too easy. Seriously, if you're having problems with any of them, doesn't matter which, just push strength, get a fat loving 2 hander and run at them swinging. They just crumple.

Also I agree that the quality really dropped off as far as level design goes right around the lake. It went from these huge, awesome labyrinths to "run in a line, okay fight another bad boss" until the end. Another thing that bothers me is weapon imbalance. There's really no reason for about 95% of the weapons to exist. The movesets are exactly the same among weapon classes, which was really a bummer.

Oh well, still a really fun game. With more time to refine, it (meaning: the sequel) could really be special.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

NotAnArtist posted:

I lost tens of thousands of gold to the attempt, and it wasn't even with a magic using character lol

I know gold is virtually worthless in the game but still, it was the principle of losing so much of a resource to really, really lame platforming.

I made it all the way up there to them, and then accidentally used one of those defilement papers and wasn't paying attention. I will never plat this game and that's fine to me.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

For any of you new guys to the game thinking it's hard, the difficulty curve is sort of like a Souls game, but sort of not.

At the beginning, you're super loving weak and it's hard to get much done. But at the end, when you have an upgraded tier 3 weapon, you will demolish bosses in two hits and the entire game becomes a snooze fest of lovely level design.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

Yeah I think I'm definitely feeling it. I'm in the Pitchwoods which is unbelievably awful. Most of the other areas up to this point have felt really samey. I mean, the platforming varies and they all have different themes, but I just don't give a crap. Half the enemies die in 2 or 3 hits and are no threat whatsoever, I've been doing more or less the same thing to beat most of the bosses, and the dull palette makes it feel like I'm playing the game equivalent of gruel. Think I'm just going to skip this and replay Symphony of the Night or something.

The weird thing about the game is that I really enjoyed it until pitchwoods, and then it got so bad so fast it was like someone hit an OFF switch on the team's effort. I mean, technically, the areas work and you don't fall through the ground or whatever, but the latter third-ish of the game is just junk compared to the really cool areas before.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

To Vex a Stranger posted:

Once I got the level 2 greathammer and great axe, the game became a breeze. Hell, I killed a few bosses with 4-5 swings. As for Pitchwoods, I'm not sure what the big deal is? Granted, I was one-shotting the narwhals so I don't know what they do, but the platforming wasn't terrible? Much easier than some of the mega man platforming we are comparing it to.

The beginning of the game was such a pain in the rear end compared to how powerful you get later on. For the golden splendor!

For me, it wasn't the challenge of either the enemies or the platforming, but it was the first in a series of really really boring areas that were not at all interesting compared to those that came before.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

Finally beat The 3rd Lamb and a few other bosses too. Currently finished with Ziggurat, but looking at the map, I think I missed the Floating castle. So I guess I should head there next. I'm sporting the big-rear end anchor (Castaway's Greatadze) but even with highest tier in the weapon skill, you can't one-hand tier 5 weapons, right? It's a pain when you have a torch lit.

Also, something that bothers me: if you ride the elevator in the Red hall of Cages until the very bottom, there's a locked gate on the left and a lever on the other side. Now, I've been going all the way down on Hager's cavern but haven't been able to find that route. What do I need to do?

Incidentally, I followed a random path to the west of Hager's cavern, ended up in some church ruins, fought a huge armor guy and found out I'd been going under the Mire of Stench 'till the beach. I love secret corridors like that.

Yeah, tier 5 weapons are only two handers. The easiest way to fix the light problem is using the item that increases your light radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Million Ghosts posted:

i reaaaally feel like i'm missing something with this game. on paper i should love it, huge castlevania and souls fan, but it just feels really janky and lovely and frustrating, on top of being super ugly. i've got up to the mad alchemist, using the claymore upgraded a few times right now, did i miss something important or is that sorta how the game is?

It stays about the same for most of the run time, and then takes a pretty steep nosedive at the end IMO. I'd say stick with it through the next couple areas and if you still aren't into it you probably won't be

• Locked thread