Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How does leveling work with COOP? Do you both just get 1/2 the XP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It seems like the game does not want you to go 2 Handed Dexterity weapons like Scythes + Heavy armor since they are on complete opposite sides of the skill tree, and the heavy armor path is filled with + Str nodes that you don't need for your dexterity weapon. There also isn't a great starting class for Pike based weapons. Guess it's pauper!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pladdicus posted:

Light armor/heavy/two handed are sort of interchangeable and most weapons have alternative dex/str paths if they're viable but it does encourage certain builds. The +1 stats are mostly irrelevent though, in the long run.

Also holy crap the 2D metroidvania elements begin to shine when you get all the brands.

What do you mean the light/heavy/two handed are interchangable?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When you look at a weapon's stats does there are two numbers separated by a -->. Is the 1st number the base damage and the second number to the right of the arrow indicate what your damage is when affected by stat scaling?

Is this like souls where you should be greedy with what weapons you choose to level up cause of a paucity of resources? Or is it easier and you should just level up whatever.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Oxxidation posted:

Haven't got a shield, is the thing. They have a dagger they can block with but I don't know if that's enough to trigger a parry.

You find multiple shields about 20 minutes into the game.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can someone explain how you conquer other monasteries? I'm just past the second boss, so I've only seen 3 monasteries total. The first one you claim as your own, and the other two have been for different religions, but I see no option to change them to mine. Also what's the deal with those mini-monasteries you can find that just have a single white orb and no options other than to heal?

Additionally, what are the equip rates % for slowing down your movement and rolls?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 16, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pladdicus posted:

Really? Was he tricky? I found his damage kind of pitiful. I enjoyed the gimmick/mobility of the fight.

Crystal Orbs, it's an item you could have started with, but you'll find tons throughout the game.

75% is the only one I know for sure and it's, imo, the ideal one to balance around. Keep in mind weapon swapping changes your weight, so sword+shield will have more weight than that same sword twohanded

So once you have a crystal orb you just use that a monastery?

Pladdicus posted:

Beat it, game clock was 19:55:31. Incredibly fun! Starting up new game + now.

:eyepop:

How many hours has this game even been out? Hasn't it basically been 24 hours?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Flytrap posted:

Maybe the creators were annoyed by how heavy armor was always useless in Souls games and overcompensated for their game.

I mean heck, (ring spoiler) there's a ring that just ups your roll speed, nullifying a good part of the penalty of wearing too much heavy armor.

Heavy armor was extremely good in Dark Souls and Demon Souls. Not flinching due to high poise was a viable way to beat every boss.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gyoru posted:

Strong against slash and weak against arcane/strike (blunt).

Is this also like the original Souls where everything is basically weak to blunt/strike damage? Has anyone built a great axe/hammer character yet? Are they amazing?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

goferchan posted:

You can do so peacefully with a Crystal Sphere just so ya know. You even keep all your villagers.

How do you convert something not peacefully?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

Spears/Polaxes/Reapers are pretty weak too. I guess you have reach and speed but the stamina consumption is pretty high. Spears doubly so because the moveset is bad against all the flying enemies (though this is a problem with spears in SotN Castlevanias too)

Have you been running a spear/reaper/poleaxe character? I had heard the scythes were pretty strong.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

Scythes have a really good moveset but their damage is kinda lacking. I got to the end game with a scythe character but gave up because I hit a roadblock with a boss. One of the endgame bosses that's resistant to slash was a nightmare with my tier 4 scythe

Mid to end-game has the same problem as Dark Souls 2 at launch where strike damage was king except replace strike damage with Great-weapons

That's super disappointing. Did you try applying any damage buffing items? Everyone is talking about using hammers and great swords in this thread, so is it basically hammers/2 handed swords or bust in the late game?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
W

King of Solomon posted:

Just beat the game. That was excellent, a great game to play during the wait between now and Dark Souls 3. I have some complaints here and there, but for the most part I really enjoyed the game.

I might load it up again to play around with different classes and loadouts, but for right now I'm content.

What build did you use?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

King of Solomon posted:

By the endgame I was using a poleaxe (voulge, specifically) and a whip sword, with light armor. I also had a bow around that I didn't use much near the end (I specifically liked the poleaxe's 2h moveset.)

Did you feel that the Poleaxe's damage was sufficient for dealing with most of the bosses?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

4) You can take an oath without upsetting your creed. I wish I had known this earlier, but I didn't until I uncovered the last, hidden creed. If you find a sanctuary dedicated to a different creed than your own (likely either The Three of the Woodspirit(?)) you can take the oath at the shrine to offer other stone figures and use the shops. Then you can go back to your previous sanctuary and take their oath again to switch back. I only did this once but I don't see an issue with it. The gods get pissed when you attempt to desecrate it with a Stained Page, but not when you've decided to dip your toe in another belief system. I wish I had known this so I could have activated leaders to the different creeds and got access to different items.

If you do this can you just end up getting tons of different items from each different creed everytime you walk in a shrine room?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pladdicus posted:

The leaders of the faction summoned by the stone leader offering gives you quest, you turn in monster drops in 5/7? 6/7? of the creeds anin exchange for a pmernanent increase to an item each time you rest there, it's heal potion, stamina potion, buff item and...something? This is what increasing devotion gives.

Is there ever a point in summoning an additional leader for the same faction? Or should you be taking a different oath for each stone leader? Also if I swear an oath to a new faction, will I get the leader benefits from the previous faction?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

You get a salt bonus which is good if you're farming. There's enough stone leaders to go around but if you want to be safe dump one leader per creed. Nothing caries over when you swear to a new creed, you're an apostate with your old creed and you have to remove your sin with the white lady if you want to go back to your old creed.

On another note I tried a cleric/pistol/whip build and it was pretty painful until I got guardian blade and now it's pretty awesome with damage output almost comparable to Great-weapons + really good survivablility.

If nothing carries over then there is no point in really doing different leader quests right? It's not like you can combine the rewards and get 20 potions everytime you go to a sanctuary?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do I transmute to tier 3 weapons? I got the monstrous mace, but it doesn't even appear on the alchemists screen as an option to transmute further to tier 3.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

King of Solomon posted:

It won't show you how to transmute weapons you don't have the materials for. You can transmute to any level from any level provided you have the materials.

Hmm, are you sure? Previous to this it did show me the tier 2 monstrous Mace even though I didn't have an
Amber idol. If I hovered over it, it showed Amber idol 0/1.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are the elemental stones you get from your faction any different than the ones you can buy? I notice they have a different item slot/name. Are they more powerful? If not is there any reason not to just pick the extra health potion for all 5 leader item ugprade slots? Elemental stones can be bought for 500 gold a pop, while max potion size is a limited commodity.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Am I right in thinking that the gold face guild's healing potion will poison you if you use it too much? Is there golden wine that increases +attack, + defense worth it?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have nothing left to spend levels on as a greathammer/light armor user. Is it worth it to start dabbling in miracles and magic? Do any of the lower level spells actually give significant buffs?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So it's not really mages that are imbalanced, it's just elemental damage period. I just fought that boss with the blunderbuss everyone talks about having issues with, and I just slapped some lightning damage on my warhammer, and he died in maybe 10 seconds. I think he shot his gun 3 times period. It was the same story for the third lamb as well.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Feenix posted:

Only thing in this game I am not enjoying (other than a map-wish) is not getting an Amber Idol. Having to farm-run the Gaoler thing in Red Cage is the easiest but has still taken me over an hour.

[ed] So far... with no drop yet.

Shortly after this you should be at the point in the game where you have enough faction rank to just buy Amber idols from your faction merchant for 2.5k gold. No need at all to farm them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does the stone charm add time to stagger? It says "stagger damage". I don't really notice any appreciable difference while using it, but I'm already using a warhammer, so I'm not sure if the stagger maxes out.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Agree about the late game difficulty curve needing major adjustment. I don't even know what the last 5 bosses I've fought did in terms of attacks or movement patterns because they all died in under 10 seconds.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just beat it. It started off as a great game, and slowly wound down to just a good one. They must have started rushing after Hall of Red Cages, because all of the areas after that are no where near as detailed or interesting. The last 3-4 areas are tiny and take about 15 minutes each. Hell one of them is just a boss. That combined with the fact that every boss, including the infamous Witch, went down in a few hits to a greathammer made things pretty boring towards the end. I think the last boss took 6 swings. This game probably would have benefited from an extra month's worth of balancing or actually putting effort into the final few areas, but I understand they probably felt pressured to rush it to release ahead of Dark Souls.

Anyone have theories about the games story? I'm not sure on the exact relationship between all the gods, the rulers of the different lands, and the architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

So It Goes posted:

The old man at the end before the final boss pretty much lays out the entirety of the story. He was Jarot, the king of storms, prayed for stuff and the "nameless" god did the classic trope of granting him power and all of that while condemning him to a lifetime of purgatorial existence in the island. The nameless makes it clear he claims things he desires and lusts for power and just all around acts like a complete poo poo heel. People get ship wrecked on the island from the god's influence who then "consumes" them and makes them kneel or whatever. The NPC dialogue throughout makes it clear that the areas on the island are transposed from other real-world places and their memories get hosed with down to their original missions potentially being facades (like the princess and the thief's nobleman). Not sure why you bring up the architect, she just seems like a boss figure just like the untouched inquisitor or dried king or whatever, a powerful figure from the real world transposed to the island, apparently she is the sister of the witch of the lake.

The Architect struck me as more important than the others. The game revolves around salt, and she can manipulate it. She created the entire ocean. I guess in the end she was just another person manipulated by the nameless god. What exactly do you think they meant by the nameless god desired to be born of the light?

• Locked thread