Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Prediction: haha no

My babby's first MMO experience was being a magician in Everquest, which rocked. You could pick between various elementals depending on your needs, put gear on them to customize them, go on quests to buff them up, it set a really high bar for me.

I went through a few other games ignoring or disliking pet classes until I hit WoW. Warlocks didn't click quite as much for me as their demons never really got good enough to compete with just dropping DOTs on everything and calling it a day. I liked the hunters a fair deal more, since they had a wide variety, you had to get off your rear end and search around if you wanted a unique-looking pet, and there were some interesting customization options.

From there I hit up FFXI, got the summoner class and holy poo poo. Really unique, really useful, had to go on really challenging quests to get them, it was close to a perfect setup. Unfortunately the class as a whole is fairly weak, but I had a really good time getting chains with my avatars.

Given the things I've liked and things I've disliked, I've gotten something resembling a list for what makes good summoner play in games in my book:

• The pet can't just be a walking DOT. If all it does is raw damage, it's boring.
  • The pet needs to be powerful enough to be considered the primary class feature.
  • The class needs to have sufficient control over the pet to manage its abilities and aggro. 'Fire and forget' is not really a pet, more an attack with a pet animation.
  • The pet should be customizable in some way, preferably in a mechanical sense, but at the very least in a visual sense, so you're not going around looking identical to every other summoner.
  • Some amount of the class's gameplay should revolve around finding/getting/improving the pet. If you get it from a trainer for three silver like any other ability, there's no sense of accomplishment.
  • The class should have more than one option for pet. It doesn't have to be but so complex; basic archetypes like tanky pet, damage pet, crowd control pet, etc suffice.
  • Short-duration, high-cooldown pets don't count. Something that you can only use for thirty seconds out of every five minutes doesn't suffice to base a class concept around.

No game I've found recently really seems to be able to hit the right notes. GW2's ranger pets mostly just suck, and the mesmer and necro pets are more walking DOTs than participants in a fight. Skyforge's necro pets are also of the walking DOT variety. City of Villains had it pretty good with the mastermind, but they're gone. I'd heard some good stuff about Warhammer's pet classes, but of course they're gone too. FFXIV's summoner just plain sucks compared to FFXI's. LOTRO's pets are either walking buffs or fairly inconsequential. SWTOR's companions are essentially pretty well done pets, but no class is focused around their use.

Anyhow, if anyone knows of a recentish MMO with a summoner that actually meets a large number of my requirements, I'd appreciate getting a heads-up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Being a goonfleet FC is pretty close to what you want :pwn:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eve-Online has some of what you are looking for, especially in its carrier class ships, but you're looking at months and months of training skills in order to get to that point.

-Troika- is absolutely on point by the way. Listen to him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Any MMO character can be seen as then pet while you are the summoner. Does the game really have to have a pet class?

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic
I dont think any current MMO has a class that works like this, they will have parts of what you like, but they also have poo poo you hate.

also re-reading your post , " I liked the hunters a fair deal more, since they had a wide variety, you had to get off your rear end and search around if you wanted a unique-looking pet, and there were some interesting customization options." go back and play as a hunter, if the only thing you dislike about the wow hunter pet is actually having to find it , it sounds like thats the game for you?

mrhotdogvendor fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 14, 2016

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic
I also have basically only played summoner classes in any MMO I've played and I understand your dissatisfaction with how most MMO's handle them. I currently play eve but if you want to scratch that pet itch, EVE isnt gonna help.

eve drones/fighters != MMO pets

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

lol

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Tenzarin posted:

Any MMO character can be seen as then pet while you are the summoner. Does the game really have to have a pet class?

This is deep bro.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mrhotdogvendor posted:

I dont think any current MMO has a class that works like this, they will have parts of what you like, but they also have poo poo you hate.

also re-reading your post , " I liked the hunters a fair deal more, since they had a wide variety, you had to get off your rear end and search around if you wanted a unique-looking pet, and there were some interesting customization options." go back and play as a hunter, if the only thing you dislike about the wow hunter pet is actually having to find it , it sounds like thats the game for you?

I was actually saying that having to find the pet was a good thing, I liked that putting in time and effort would be rewarded with a blinged-out pet. Cataclysm is the reason I'm not still playing WoW; everything went too far off the rails for too many of the classes I played.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

The AI isn't good enough for my tastes.

mrhotdogvendor
May 28, 2006
very tired hispanic

Valatar posted:

I was actually saying that having to find the pet was a good thing, I liked that putting in time and effort would be rewarded with a blinged-out pet. Cataclysm is the reason I'm not still playing WoW; everything went too far off the rails for too many of the classes I played.

why not play on one of the goon whatever old WoW servers before cata? also plz dont play eve,I wouldnt wish this on anyone.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pet classes are terrible and I'm glad you're having difficulty finding one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Necromancer in DAOC made your ethereal with your pet out so you basically became your pet. Pet classes are always kinda meh.

D3 Voodoo doctor, lets you summon zombie dogs and a big golem.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
City of Villains Mastermind was the best pet class in an MMO ever.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

SWTOR. Every class in SWTOR is a pet class (because you have to use companions.) You can customize their appearance, they have different specs (you can use them as a healing pet, a DPS pet, or a tank pet), and you can micromanage their abilities with their own ridiculously long hotbar.

They are also integrated into the story and, in KOTFE, you have to grind for a bunch of weird ones!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

bonds0097 posted:

Especially robot pets!

Even though it's not an MMO, D2's skelemancer build was my pet class of choice, because it let me just sit back while they do most of the work. Mastermind came pretty close to that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Diablo 3 witchdoctor has very viable all pet builds

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Reverand maynard posted:

Diablo 3 witchdoctor has very viable all pet builds

But they are boring as gently caress. Nobody really gives a poo poo about your pets doing solid damage, they want them to be interesting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

SWTOR. Every class in SWTOR is a pet class (because you have to use companions.) You can customize their appearance, they have different specs (you can use them as a healing pet, a DPS pet, or a tank pet), and you can micromanage their abilities with their own ridiculously long hotbar.

They are also integrated into the story and, in KOTFE, you have to grind for a bunch of weird ones!

How could I forget about this? SWTOR for sure has the best pets in an MMO.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Blade and Soul has catsummoners

They do things like suplex enemies

All of them are cats, but you can dress them up like anime princesses so they are customizable.

There's like 20 different cat body types too.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
FF14's Summoner and Scholar are actually really cool, especially with the expansion.

But really you should just pick up a Pokemon game. It will scratch that itch til it bleeds and then you'll never worry about it again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Sega Dreamcast has a game called Seaman. Where you raise and teach your pet Seaman.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pet classes peaked with City of Heroes.
Mastermind was god-tier fun.

Summoner in Blade and Soul is very good but you have to choke down a lot of anime.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I said come in! posted:

How could I forget about this? SWTOR for sure has the best pets in an MMO.

Agreed.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Everquest 2: The Necro and Conjurer classes were amazing. I played a necro, and while--yes he did dot. You put two necros in a group, and they can heal, they had a ton of utility. The pets were awesome too, and the higher rank pet the better it got, and you could always control it, and do special things with it.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
I miss pet classes that just had really absurd pets, which only works in sandbox MMOs I suspect. My first game was UO, and I always had a blast running around with my Nightmare & White Wyrm.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

boho posted:

FF14's Summoner and Scholar are actually really cool, especially with the expansion.

But really you should just pick up a Pokemon game. It will scratch that itch til it bleeds and then you'll never worry about it again.

14's Summoner and Scholar have pretty strong pet abilities, to the point that the Scholar Fairy can heal regular exp dungeons while you DPS your heart out. With Summoner you can just let them do whatever they want but microing their important abilities is pretty important for enhancing your own DPS output and handle some mechanics.

Also every class is technically a pet class outside of instances once you hit 30 and you complete a quest to allow your chocobo mount to party with you, but they're completely independent with their own AI routine that uses abilities based on what you've unlocked via trees and what stance you have them set to. This doesn't preclude Summoner or Scholar from summoning their class pets either.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 19, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Perfect World Venomancer might come close.

Havent played that game in years though.

You had to go out and tame your summons. Lower the lvl the better it could be. Different pets for different situations.

Rock guys as tanks, scorpions for dd.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Meskhenet posted:

Perfect World Venomancer might come close.

PWI was awful in every other way, but god I loved the pet system. You could collect all kinds of different looking creatures and keep extras as items in the bank to swap out when you got bored, like a weird nostalgic bit of Pokemon but in MMO form.

I dimly remember my favorite was one of the Qingfu beetles, but they came in different colors or something so I went on a quest all the way to some other newbie town a million miles away just to get my beetle. :3:

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Freakazoid_ posted:

Especially robot pets!

Ninjas. :colbert: Pet ninjas best ninjas.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Vanilla era WOW warlock pets. Each one had it's place and with proper micro made you a PVP god.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
summoner in blade and soul is probably the closest you're gonna get

the cat can knock down, call in missile strikes, slow, parry/charge; you're basically playing two classes which sounds similar to what you're looking for

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rafza posted:

summoner in blade and soul is probably the closest you're gonna get

the cat can knock down, call in missile strikes, slow, parry/charge; you're basically playing two classes which sounds similar to what you're looking for

The really sad thing here is that the original ink monster pet concept for the B&S summoner was just awesome. If they hadn't dumped that for a derpcat, I'd've been all about it.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Vanilla era WOW warlock pets. Each one had it's place and with proper micro made you a PVP god.

Burning Crusade era demonology was a blast, i even liked the soul shard mechanic :shobon:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

It's not an mmo but in Mount and Blade you get hundreds of pet soldiers to throw at your enemies.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bonds0097 posted:

CoH was a bad game fite me

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

There's some mega P2W chinagame.exe called Dragon Nest or Dragon Home or something to that effect where you tame dragons of all shapes and sizes and raise them and evolve them or some poo poo.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xexre posted:

There's some mega P2W chinagame.exe called Dragon Nest or Dragon Home or something to that effect where you tame dragons of all shapes and sizes and raise them and evolve them or some poo poo.

Dragon's Prophet. It was briefly in the US on Sony's servers, crashed and burned, got shut down last year. I tried it when it was in beta, and it was a giant loving mess. The concept was pretty sweet, because who doesn't want to come flapping in on Onyxia and ruin everything's poo poo? However, the animations for everything were janky, you'd be doing some big martial arts combo on some random rat and it would just sit there, motionless, with no sign that you were even touching it until it eventually fell over.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
All of you talking about the Mastermind class are wrong. The regular criminals were the best, because you'd beat cops, mole people, horrors, giant mechs, and some lesser gods by just throwing enough braindead street tough mooks at the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ellbent posted:

All of you talking about the Mastermind class are wrong. The regular criminals were the best, because you'd beat cops, mole people, horrors, giant mechs, and some lesser gods by just throwing enough braindead street tough mooks at the problem.

Wrong. Dogs were the best because they had a hilariously halfassed knockdown animation.

• Locked thread