Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's some amazing foley work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Because he moved away.

To the next plane of existence :smith:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, I really want someone to interview the sound team on this show. Between the luggage bag, tooth pulling, and this, they've knocked it out of the park.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Baronash posted:

I don't know, it's pretty hosed up to intentionally leave fake plans around hoping that your enemy blows up a bunch of their own soldiers.

I think Oleg said that wasn't what actually happened though, that the Russians used the propeller improperly and without testing it first.

It was both. The plans were faulty, but if the Russians were competent and tested it properly no one would've died.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Above your paygrade Oleg.

EDIT: Glanders is not to be hosed with :ohdear:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 17, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Stan, you picked a bad time to be overly possessive

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

drat it, I forgot how much it sucked to have to wait a week for every episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Stan, you picked a bad time to be overly possessive

In before Stan finds out they are spies because he's such an overprotective nutter.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I love how this show has all these interconnected plots that tie interpersonal drama with espionage, then we have Henry who has a completely unrelated subplot every season--first wanting videogames, then having the hots for Mrs. Beeman, and now, apparently, using deodorant too much. I have to wonder if there's eventually going to be a point to all of that, like, is the show going to culminate in a plot where Henry's oddly specific experiences are exactly what they'll need to finish a mission?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A good strong start to the season, some solid spy work and some new disguises too!

Also, season 5 confirmed! (even if the president of FX said that The Americans had at least 5 seasons in it the other year)
https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/710186959155683328

howe_sam posted:

What scene are you referencing? Since I wasn't watching it live.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo, I just realized that they're going to get around to Able Archer this season.

THAT'S gonna be a good episode.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I hope someone flies the stealth plane out of the Soviet Union Firefox style. Think Russian !

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

drunkill posted:

What scene are you referencing? Since I wasn't watching it live.

Pretty sure it was the flashbacks + EST conference scene.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

Pretty sure it was the flashbacks + EST conference scene.

Yeah, the sound of Phillip bashing the other kid's head in was gruesome.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

That skull-crushing foley work had me wincing with every blow to the point where I half-wanted to switch the drat show off. Even without showing us anything, that really went straight for the gut.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Argue posted:

I love how this show has all these interconnected plots that tie interpersonal drama with espionage, then we have Henry who has a completely unrelated subplot every season--first wanting videogames, then having the hots for Mrs. Beeman, and now, apparently, using deodorant too much. I have to wonder if there's eventually going to be a point to all of that, like, is the show going to culminate in a plot where Henry's oddly specific experiences are exactly what they'll need to finish a mission?

Phil's gonna start wearing Henry's nasty rear end Cologne to his underage dates as a way to make teen perm girl not wanna be intimate

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

I kinda wonder if they put the plots like "breaks into houses to play video games" in their to throw us off

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TomViolence posted:

That skull-crushing foley work had me wincing with every blow to the point where I half-wanted to switch the drat show off. Even without showing us anything, that really went straight for the gut.

It was the slowly changing quality of the sound from rock hits something hard through to rock hitting pudding.

This show is amazing, but it still makes me sad that I'm old enough now that my childhood is considered appropriate for "historical period drama". But goddamn do they capture the tenor of the times.

Waiting for the The Day After episode. I remember watching that live.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

savinhill posted:

Phil's gonna start wearing Henry's nasty rear end Cologne to his underage dates as a way to make teen perm girl not wanna be intimate

Andy Greenwald interviewed the showrunners for his Channel 33 podcast, and they said that Phillip is still meeting with Kimmy on a regular basis.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Andy Greenwald interviewed the showrunners for his Channel 33 podcast, and they said that Phillip is still meeting with Kimmy on a regular basis.

I was wondering if they had decided to drop that subplot between seasons due to how uncomfortable it made people. I'm glad they didn't, it's way hosed-up, and the more hosed-up this show gets with Phil getting put through the wringer, the better it is imo. Plus, it's actually more relevant now than ever with everything going on with Claire.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

TheCenturion posted:

This show is amazing, but it still makes me sad that I'm old enough now that my childhood is considered appropriate for "historical period drama". But goddamn do they capture the tenor of the times.

I'm at the other end, where I was born fairly soon after the Soviet Union fell. I find the Cold War era (and by extension this show) so fascinating because it's still so recent, yet seems so far removed from what things are like now.

I'll feel old when they do a show like this based around the US involvement in the Middle East during the past decade.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FELD1 posted:

I'm at the other end, where I was born fairly soon after the Soviet Union fell. I find the Cold War era (and by extension this show) so fascinating because it's still so recent, yet seems so far removed from what things are like now.

I'll feel old when they do a show like this based around the US involvement in the Middle East during the past decade.

Sorry grandpa, they already made one.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

One of my favorite little touches from their disguises this last episode: Phillip was wearing an undershirt with built-in man-boobs the first time they tried to meet with their source.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Phenotype posted:

One of my favorite little touches from their disguises this last episode: Phillip was wearing an undershirt with built-in man-boobs the first time they tried to meet with their source.

I've never had a problem identifying

Phenotype posted:

I've never had a problem identifying Elizabeth in disguise, but there have been times I'd have never realized somebody was Phillip if they hadn't pointed it out. More options vis a vis facial hair and what not, maybe?

I remember knowing that we were all going to die in nuclear fire. I remember watching The a Day After, By Dawn's Early Light, When The Wind Blows and such movies on TV. It was good times.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Baronash posted:

Yeah, I really want someone to interview the sound team on this show. Between the luggage bag, tooth pulling, and this, they've knocked it out of the park.

You forgot the necklacing with the tyre.

Maybe you did that on purpose.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Finally caught the episode. I missed this show so much.

Also, Phil as Crix Madine in that beard....

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

LostRook posted:

It was both. The plans were faulty, but if the Russians were competent and tested it properly no one would've died.

Yeah, it seems like a normal counter-intelligence thing to do so they should've anticipated it.

Also, this is still one of the best shows on TV right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Being in third grade in 1983, I distinctly remember every recess I would look at the bright blue sky and think "Is today the day the missiles start coming?"

poo poo was hosed up yo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

LostRook posted:

This is what I was getting at.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's a computer

For the kids :haw:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

It's a computer

For the kids :haw:

Hey, it's a life skill.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Woops

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, I didn't think they'd find out so early in the episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh poo poo :supaburn:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pastor Tim gon' get dead.

Attempting to kill him works worse if you don't pull it off, Liz.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
"Paige will never suspect"

She knows you're spies. If Pastor Tim even sneezes she's going to assume you poisoned him

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I don't know why, but I love that the plot of this episode is a decision regarding killing or sparing Pastor Tim, who has been Paige's only trusted confidant in these turbulent times.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pro sound track choice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

"Paige will never suspect"

She knows you're spies. If Pastor Tim even sneezes she's going to assume you poisoned him

Yeah. Another moment of brilliant overconfidence from Elizabeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pilot: Bad spy.

Phillip: Good spy.

Edit: Very bad spy.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 24, 2016

• Locked thread