Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Phillip! Our children are banging! Glorious day :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:lol: Stan still can't see

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh man, Stan was so giddy :unsmith:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if yer a Dish TV customer go check your poo poo, it might have hosed up and recorded a blender commercial last night and skipped tonights "THE AMERICANS" :911: :ussr:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Honestly that kinda fizzled out for me? I was thinking a really significant development would happen. No resolution on Stan extracting anything from Crandall or the Jennings deciding whether to go

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

stuart scott posted:

Honestly that kinda fizzled out for me? I was thinking a really significant development would happen. No resolution on Stan extracting anything from Crandall or the Jennings deciding whether to go

They're pretty clearly not going. I was surprised however that that was the final scene.

Still, just the revelation from William alone that there's a married couple out there with kids who are actually spies is pretty exciting. I'm sure it will lead to good and fun things over the next couple of seasons.

I of course eagerly await them being completely exposed, but who knows if that's where it's ultimately going.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This finale felt more like set up for the next set of problems next season. The previous finale felt like that too

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Seemed like an odd final scene, I was convinced they were going to come back with one last scene after the commercial.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stuart scott posted:

:agreed:

Dangerous Person posted:

This finale felt more like set up for the next set of problems next season. The previous finale felt like that too

Yea. But at least this was a good season, unlike S3.

Poor Arkady and Oleg :(

Bastard son plot seems like a dumb thing to add , but we will see how it goes I guess. The William deathbed revelation + stay/leave decision would have been more than enough for next season.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Phillip! Our children are banging! Glorious day :haw:

It just made me feel that much worse for him when he learns the truth. He is going to be devastated :cry:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

if yer a Dish TV customer go check your poo poo, it might have hosed up and recorded a blender commercial last night and skipped tonights "THE AMERICANS" :911: :ussr:

Happened on my Tivo too, pretty annoying but luckily it replayed the next hour.

I kept waiting for poo poo to happen and then it just fizzled out.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So, Martha and Phil's bastard are going to cross paths and hook up next season, right?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Regy Rusty posted:

They're pretty clearly not going. I was surprised however that that was the final scene.

Still, just the revelation from William alone that there's a married couple out there with kids who are actually spies is pretty exciting. I'm sure it will lead to good and fun things over the next couple of seasons.

I think the FBI already knew there was a couple from back in season 1.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grinning Goblin posted:

So, Martha and Phil's bastard are going to cross paths and hook up next season, right?

Shoot yourself into me Clark Jr!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I think the FBI already knew there was a couple from back in season 1.

They knew there was a man and a woman working together, but the idea that they were a married couple, and particularly one with kids, wasn't really considered. It's kind of like the "Martha being married" thing - it's a step beyond what the FBI agents would have seen as the boundaries of espionage.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Did they forget to write a finale?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lots of development but nothing huge. Henry is really disillusioned now.

ashley
Oct 20, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Mine did that too. Grrrr.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It just made me feel that much worse for him when he learns the truth. He is going to be devastated :cry:

I really hope Stan just stumbles into it and he can't bring himself to turn them in and starts to sabotage their missions secretly hoping the KGB will just fire them.

"Philip, what happened ?"
"I tried to meet my contact and some guy in a on a motorbike shouted 'KGB !' and the contact ran away"
"Was it the FBI ?"
"No idea, he wore a scarf and sunglasses"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Did William know Phillip's first name? Can't remember if they ever shared that particular secret.

And did Arkady know about the Gadd hit? I recall a scene where he said something didn't go as planned.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 9, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh no! The FBI knows they have two kids.

They probably live in a house with a white picket fence, enjoy long walks on the beach, and prefer Pepsi to Coke.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 9, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
http://www.avclub.com/article/how-americans-showrunners-brought-their-fourth-sea-237747

Pretty short but fairly interesting interview with the showrunners.

I definitely felt like the finale was a little deflating after a very tense season, but when all is said and done I will bet that this season and next season will feel like one big 2 part season. It will flow way better when binge watching.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That was really underwhelming as a finale after such a killer season. It doesn't ruin anything, but I had to go check that it wasn't the penultimate ep. Also, I feel like the potential tension of the opening scene was squandered, because the way it was filmed, Phillip never felt near enough to William's last stand to make the stakes as high as they should've been. It could have been ratcheted up without tipping the hand in revealing to them he was caught.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Great season but this episode really felt more like an opening episode than a finale. Lots of build up and very little payoff overall this season too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Narcissus1916 posted:

Did William know Phillip's first name? Can't remember if they ever shared that particular secret.

I swear William called him "Phillip" at least once, in the conversation where he asks "why didn't you bring the Centre in", that's the most likely spot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"I'd never cheat on your mom" :lol:

This was definitely very low-key for a finale. And while I can generally appreciate that, this felt a bit frustrating as, after a rather slow-paced season, it just set up more poo poo for the next one rather than blowing something up now. Maybe William was supposed to be that, but it was pretty clear what's going to happen to him since day one. Oh well, this was a brilliant season of TV nevertheless.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This season definitely hit its climax with the resolution of the Nina and Martha storylines. In a perfect world I think maybe they could have lined up the "okay, you guys can take a vacation" time jump to be the season finale and end with a note of hope for once (by extending the mid-season misery through the end of the bio lab plot instead of just resetting Philip and Elizabeth to be sadbrains again a couple episodes later anyway). It's still a great show, but the pacing is all over the place, and the seasons kind of just blend together instead of having distinct beginnings or ends. Maybe it'll feel more coherent when people binge watch the whole thing someday, but I can't imagine wanting to endure that much concentrated depression all at once.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe the Jennings should turn up their heater, Elizabeth sure seems to be wearing her coat a lot indoors.

zVxTeflon posted:

Shoot yourself into me Clark Jr!

Laughed way too hard at this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sinteres posted:

the seasons kind of just blend together instead of having distinct beginnings or ends.

You say this like it’s a bad thing.

Not that the other points on pacing aren’t valid.

Neba
Feb 1, 2004

CGI blood coming out Dylan Baker's mouth there at the end looked a bit odd.

Bit disappointing for a finale but show is still excellent!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Platystemon posted:

You say this like it’s a bad thing.

Not that the other points on pacing aren’t valid.

I definitely see the appeal of not hitting a reset button every season, and the deepening of the serialization that's made the best of peak tv possible. As an actual viewing experience though, seasons are pretty distinct unless you're binge watching years later, so ending a season on what genuinely felt like a commercial break rather than even the end of an episode to me was pretty disappointing. That said, while the show's probably too bleak to really say it's the one I enjoy the most, I do think it's the best show I watched this season.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hed posted:

Maybe the Jennings should turn up their heater, Elizabeth sure seems to be wearing her coat a lot indoors.

She's just trying to make her way through the Cold War. :downsrim:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The opening shot of Tim and Alice's baby had a nice fakeout where the close up shot and noise made me think they were going to pan to William dumping out his guts.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

wait, that was the finale? fuckin hell

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

so loving future posted:

wait, that was the finale? fuckin hell

Pretty much everyone's thoughts. I know I thought 'wow, a longer episode,' then waited the entire time for the 'next episode' teaser before bringing up FiOS' guide and seeing 'Finale' on the program info.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Finally caught up!

I thought the finale was pretty good actually, the only thing that seemed a little unconvincing was William's deathbed mumbling "confession"

Also earlier in the episode when they started showing Russia I thought they were going to pick up on Martha's story and follow her life there, which imo would be kind of cool. Instead they are adding in a whole new plot which.. I dunno. Could be good I guess.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No. No more Martha. Ever.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

No. No more Martha. Ever.

:agreed:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fine. But we need to see some spoiled americans slumming it in a komunalka in Smolensk or some other shithole before the show ends.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Fine. But we need to see some spoiled americans slumming it in a komunalka in Smolensk or some other shithole before the show ends.

S6E1: Henry, frustrated by a lack of western videogames, becomes a leading figure in the early 90's Russian warez scene and then, years later as the world enters the age of social media, catfishes a lonely, retired Stan Beeman - with unforeseen consequences for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I wonder if a "The Russians" spinoff could be pulled off in a way that didn't suck. Cardinal of the Kremlin basically.

• Locked thread