Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I think the black ones don't? The Sega sports edition? I'm not sure though

tthts the one i got at home, ill let you know how it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

Kaz do you have a DC you could sell me that plays burned games??

I just might...

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i own mvc2 on dreamcast

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Frankly In Jealous.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

trying to jack off posted:

i own mvc2 on dreamcast

same, but also i replaced the intro music with wu-tang clan

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I think only the first manufacturing run of DCs will play burned discs so you gotta check the serial number iirc

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

i own mvc2 on dreamcast

i have jojos bizarre adventure and bangai o but mvc2 is the king

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

i have jojos bizarre adventure and bangai o but mvc2 is the king

i bought my dreamcast just to play chu chu rocket and mvc2, every other game is a bonus to me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i bought my dreamcast just to play chu chu rocket and mvc2, every other game is a bonus to me

its weird that sega hasnt ported chu chu rocket to everything ever

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So if I play burned games on my Dreamcast. NOTHING will be different at all right? No extra glitches, loading, hassle, or anything. Just burnt the iso to a CD-R and it plays the game just like any other.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

So if I play burned games on my Dreamcast. NOTHING will be different at all right? No extra glitches, loading, or anything.

some games have their music cut out or something that like cuz gdroms are a bit bigger than cdroms

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

read the nfo that comes with your pirate games

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

punk rebel ecks posted:

So if I play burned games on my Dreamcast. NOTHING will be different at all right? No extra glitches, loading, hassle, or anything. Just burnt the iso to a CD-R and it plays the game just like any other.

has this ever been the case, with anything? just burn the discs as slow as possible and deal with whatever audio was stripped out of the ISO to fit it onto a CD. i believe pioneer media/drives may work better altho i might be crossing my wires with original xbox piracy. or ps2. i don't know. but even if you get the USB thing you're still going to find ISOs with the audio removed unless you dump your own legit copies which would defeat the point a bit (faster load times off the USB tho?). there's a ton of hassle and little caveats to everything, that's the trade off to getting poo poo for free.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
side note the dreamcast is extremely tight so you should deal with the hassles and the glitches and stuff.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
my legit copy of shenmue must've been screwed up or something because when i got to the part where you drive a forklift i could never get the fight to trigger that would move the game on to the next phase so i just stayed forklifting forever and gave up. if that can happen on a legit disc then anything can happen wth a CD-R.

the same thing happened to me with galerians where a billiard ball did not appear in its designated spot so i could never complete a mandatory puzzle. also my first playstation would crash every time it tried to load a battle in saga frontier. disc-based games used to be really weird.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

its weird that sega hasnt ported chu chu rocket to everything ever

Yeah. There was a GBA port but I think that's it

Edit: there was an iPhone/android port too

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a website that lists how well the transfer from GD-ROM to CD-R goes for Dreamcast games?

Like it displays how much, if anything, is cut?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a website that lists how well the transfer from GD-ROM to CD-R goes for Dreamcast games?

If the game is over 1GB, assume there has been some audio that is downsampled. If it's not larger than that, it should fit on the disc without fuckery.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

yeah I have it bookmarked: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's a few rare cases where I'll notice the audio. NFL2k1 for example, will have cut audio on some of the commentary for a match. Which made me go and turn the commentary off. There's not another instance in which I can recall being bothered by any audio issues. YMMV.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Anyways, it's as simple as this. If you can afford to buy the real games, then do so, otherwise, deal with it!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

jesus christ just shut up and do it. it's literally free. you already have a spool of blank cds that's been sitting around since you bought your first ipod

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

GameCube posted:

jesus christ just shut up and do it. it's literally free. you already have a spool of blank cds that's been sitting around since you bought your first ipod

Chill out bro. :coolfish:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Chill out bro. :coolfish:

Take that OCD horse behind the shed, and shoot it, please.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ordered some CD-Rs online. Thanks for the help guys.

Kazvall posted:

Take that OCD horse behind the shed, and shoot it, please.

:orks101::horse:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i got my dreamcast for 2 dollars from a thrift store 3 years ago. i still don't have a controller or any games for it though lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i have two dreamcasts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GameCube posted:

i have two dreamcasts.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The double. Two Dreamcasts

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Pablo Gigante posted:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I burned a loving Gauntlet Legends

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

I'll take mine with extra sega-sauce, please.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

GameCube posted:

i have two dreamcasts.

i have two super nintendos, two game cubes, AND two ps2s you gay little bitch. fall back

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This thread reminds me of when my cousin sold me a dream cast for $20 back in 2006. I was pretty happy at the time, but then I learned that he'd stolen it from his dad and used the proceeds to buy meth.

Still works though, skies of arcadia made it a wash

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Not a Children posted:

This thread reminds me of when my cousin sold me a dream cast for $20 back in 2006. I was pretty happy at the time, but then I learned that he'd stolen it from his dad and used the proceeds to buy meth.

You got a problem with stealing?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Not a Children posted:

seems like you shouldnt have turned down harvard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

also lol at this post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704092&userid=190538&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post456185042

• Locked thread