Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Orv posted:

Yeah the videos giving me that impression were from before even OT1, the game is a lot faster now, though I think it could stand to be even more so.

I've gotten pretty used to how movement works in Paragon, I have no trouble juking especially against Steel or Grux trying to cc you. If there is faster base movement have to see how its fair for melee if they try to cc you, either have to speed up those telegraphs and whatnot. I think Paragon has a ton of potential and its definitely a diamond in the rough. Imo my biggest issue is Kill timers, you bring them down, they spawn back pretty fast granted that by the time you clear a minion or even start touching their tower they're already at full health and charging right at you. Definitely needs some tweaks in every area

Twibbit posted:

So far I have not strayed too far from Howitzer since my default action in most mobas is to focus on mob farming and his aoes make that pretty effective, Make it Rain also helps get you out of dodge when caught over extended.

It's a good escape, so is his mines. You can also try to throw mines behind them and make them lurch forward. If they're really badly out of position, you can hurt them hard. I did his ult once and then threw a mine out at someone trying to escape it, knocked that person back into the ult and killed them.

Howitzer is a caster and he has splash damage so he's very good for wave clearing. A lot of the mages do, Gideon being the obvious clear. Gadget can clear but she requires a lot of farming before she can do it, and she's a little more complicated. Sparrow at higher levels can clear the waves with her Arrow Rain and Pierce, and it gives her a lot of card exp so she gets snowbally.

Celt des Ghoules posted:

Ye gods Lastgirl, your posts make me wonder if I'm ever gonna be ready to face real people in this. There are so many facets I don't know about.

Parallel to your discussion of Sparrow's lack of escape skills, I've been surprised at the scarcity of quick vertical movement abilities. Given that varied terrain is being touted as a selling point you'd think your characters would be more agile to take advantage of these... vantages.

Could be speaking from ignorance, I've not tried all the characters yet.

Haha, well if you stick with it you'll learn it in no time really. There were mechanics I didn't even know about while playing and the prime orb being that. A lot of WIPs going on really.

As for verticality, Kallari is one hero that can take advantage of it with her double leap from the jungles onto a lane to ambush. She can also ult in mid air. Even with Sparrow, you can take advantage of the verticality, like in my snipe video. I went up the ramp because it was safer and if I had messed up or got cc'd below on the actual lane, I might have not been able to get to Gideon because the minions would've surrounded me. I was shooting down at Gideon and then I used my height to snipe him as he ran up the stairs and over the hill, I had a perfectly clear shot because of my positioning being on a higher plane, that's literally it.

Gideon can also teleport to higher elevation, not all of them since its got limited range which is good because there are some really steep inclines and he can be very slippery.

Dekker has rocket boots, and she's my personal favorite. You can launch in the air high up from a hill and line up your Containment Fence ult onto them perfectly, they don't have time to react to get out of it for the most part. Dekker's contaiment fence can also block them on a downward slope and have people shoot ontop into the fence, because you can't shoot through it. She can also jump from the jungle at specific places like Kallari, but not as easily so you have to be careful and consider your positioning.

Rampage and Steel can leap high in the air and come slamming down. They can do it even higher especially near the 2nd mid tower ramps so they can ambush you. Most people don't bother to look up sometimes so not only can you ambush from behind, but from above.

Grux might not look like he has any verticality, but his Q which is a CC pull can pull anyone from a ramp down to his level.

Howitzer can do the same with his mines, throw the mines on the ledge and knock them off onto the lane. Also not many people have discovered this but Howitzer can hover and stay in the air if you're holding down his Q, especially after his ult.

Gadget can throw her bot out from high and deploy it down on the lane too, it has a pretty long range too.

Just a bunch of examples, sorry for the :words:

Although I would like to see vertical abilities that aren't leaps, but the leaps are combos. Feng Mao's ultimate, Earth Shatter comes to mind because it's a very narrow rectangle AoE and I might be wrong because I haven't tried this, but it can possibly kill someone on a ledge if he's down below, if he's close enough to reach.

coca bojangles posted:

Howdy, glad some more people from Smite are giving this game a try.

I'm not abandoning Smite, just taking a "vacation". Hahaha

Whats your IGN?

Ehh with Skadi being broken, I too am taking a vacation~ lol

Lastgirl is my IGN

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Loknik posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the move speed is too slow or if the TPS aspect is making it appear slow. In League (only other moba I have experience with) you are pathetically slow until you get your boots.

The scale of this game is also much bigger and not looking at it from a top down perspective probably influences how the move speed feels. I don't think it would hurt to either add an item that lets you run faster, or else just bump it up a tad.

For me it's that you have to hold down the W key and navigate the map when you're running back from base. Top-down MOBAs, you just right click and can zoom the camera around the minimap or whatever. Unless there's a teleport or something I don't know about.

I really want a double jump on every character, too.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

I really enjoy Gideon's playstyle, he is amazing at pushing a lane, and can dish out a lot of aoe damage.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
I like the game a lot so far. Don't play a lot of MOBAs but this one for some reason just feels fun to play. My main beef with the game at the moment is mainly UI issues and how poorly casters scale late game compared to 'Left-Click' heroes.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Found an alternate use for Howitzer's Ultimate

Edit- I admit I am doing this to mess around with the replay editor. During the same co-op vs bot match I did a massive kill streak... by taking advantage of a wave of super minions. They are more dangerous than I first thought. For some reason the gif has a mazzive empty space around it. Yay Early Access!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQWgaoICHM

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 21, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Grabbed the founder pack on PS4. Unreal Tournament is a high speed fragathon so I went into this game expecting something similar but it's soooooo slow. It's like playing a game in molasses. Graphically and design-wise it's pretty cool and the card mechanic appeals to me even though I am scared it will mean serious imbalance for free players. It needs other game modes badly as the 40+ minute slogs are so tiresome in MOBAs now.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Syrinxx posted:

Grabbed the founder pack on PS4. Unreal Tournament is a high speed fragathon so I went into this game expecting something similar but it's soooooo slow. It's like playing a game in molasses. Graphically and design-wise it's pretty cool and the card mechanic appeals to me even though I am scared it will mean serious imbalance for free players. It needs other game modes badly as the 40+ minute slogs are so tiresome in MOBAs now.

All players are on the same footing, the only thing you can buy is a boost.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

You have more to fear from just getting unlucky and not getting the cards that are useful to your style of play. They guarantee at least one uncommon or better card per pack though

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

LumberingTroll posted:

All players are on the same footing, the only thing you can buy is a boost.

Yeah, you can't straight buy card packs, so it isn't entirely pay2win. However, you can buy rep boosts so you gain rep levels faster, which is the main method of getting card packs.

Celt des Ghoules
Nov 9, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

All the examples of every character's vertical movement potential.

Well, that certainly put paid to my nonsense assertion.

Last couple of games I've been playing with a Howitzer deck I put together to add attack speed to him. Its a lot of fun to advance with a rapid-fire cannon and it hasn't been a particular struggle facing off against other heroes but they are AI so that's not really a measure of anything. Strange mana/chrono/attack speed build, but fun nonetheless.

Edit: That's a lovely use of the airstrike Twibbit.

Celt des Ghoules fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 21, 2016

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QicMCysZbGo

Cleanup quadra almost penta with Dekker.

Special thanks to TwinBlast for doing all the damage.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Oh hey, I was there for that!

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Been playing this game soo much lol. Was playing sparrow for a bit and it was awesome for things like this clip... But I found I don't play her well against more competent teams. I need an escape like Gideon and Rampage. Also with Gideon's teleport, allies can jump through the portal to follow him. It can be weird to get working but amazing help when it works can save a sparrow or murdock with their low mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol__v83a2co

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Update is out and servers are back up. https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/blog/early-access-game-update-march-21-2016

Lots of improvements to the bot AI in this, New sound effects including speech for all the battle coms, UI updates so we can actively tell when harvesters are ready from the minimap etc. No major balance changes outside bug fixes on some powers

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

they also removed madspore sash, so no more damage auras swinging games or just making life difficult even when you beat it.

also if you guys haven't seen them. some semi useful sites for paragon...

http://agora.gg/ - some stats and some form of elo
http://fury.gg/ - deckbuilding

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Zotix posted:

Oh hey, I was there for that!

quote:

After watching it a couple times I remembered that you can pop Dekkers bubble early. I wasn't penta-robbed, I penta-choked...

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Twibbit posted:

Update is out and servers are back up. https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/blog/early-access-game-update-march-21-2016

Lots of improvements to the bot AI in this, New sound effects including speech for all the battle coms, UI updates so we can actively tell when harvesters are ready from the minimap etc. No major balance changes outside bug fixes on some powers

how do you tell when harvesters are ready from minimap? not seeing it in game with new patch

Munion fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 22, 2016

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Elo was designed for one vs one skill ranking, it gets pretty faulty in a game with teams of constantly changing members

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

yea, i just use agora.gg for tracking my winrates and kda pretty much

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I tried this game, it feels incredibly slow and horribly unbalanced. I dunno if I can stomach another match to try it again.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

I tried this game, it feels incredibly slow and horribly unbalanced. I dunno if I can stomach another match to try it again.

It can definitely feel slow at first, especially if you were expecting more moba than shooter which a lot of people do. Sure it's not the fastest paced game, but it's fast enough once you get into it and are playing all over the map going from teamfight to teamfight.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
It was an akward moment for me to realise after couple games that Murdocks basic attacks are Magic and not Physical.

The game is so much easier now

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
https://discord.gg/0u4MmLh2CKVYmhps

Ezell (Plurality) made a ParaGoon discord in case people don't want to use the CTS mumble.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Any chance anyone bought one of the expensive founders packs and has an extra friend invite? Sadly fixing the sewer line to my house kind of blew the rest of my gaming budget for the time being :(

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
Ezell's Outline & ADC Build -Thanks, added this to the OP
Basic Deck Build Outline:
6x Equipment Cards = 18 pts
12x 2 Cost Upgrade Cards = 24 pts
6x 3 Cost Upgrade Cards = 18 pts
Total = 60 pts

Basic ADC Build:
Start: Health, Mana, Ward/Key
1st: Windcarver Blade: 3x Strike
2nd: Brawler's Ward/Key: 3x Strike
3rd: Windcarver Blade: 3x Major Kinetic
4th: Blade of Agora: 3x Major Strike (have to discard to buy)
5th: Spear of the Rifthunter: 3x Wound (have to discard to buy)
6th: Spear of the Rifthunter: 3x Wound (have to discard to buy)

I played a deck almost exactly like this last night, and the power spike you get after each item is awesome, basics hit for about 450 before crit and 900 after.

coca bojangles fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

coca bojangles posted:

Total = 60 pts

Basic ADC Build:
Windcarver Blade: 3x Strike
Brawler's Ward/Key: 3x Strike
Windcarver Blade: 3x Major Kinetic
Blade of Agora: 3x Major Strike
Spear of the Rifthunter: 3x Wound
Spear of the Rifthunter: 3x Wound

I played a deck almost exactly like this last night, and the power spike you get after each item is awesome, basics hit for about 450 before crit and 900 after.
Discard a potion/ward/key when buying Agora, and discard the rest when you can get Rifthunters.

Windcarver>>Brawlers>>Windcarver>>Blade of Agora>>Rifthunter>>Rifthunter
3x Strike >>3x Strike>>3x M. Kinetic>>3x M. Strike>>3x Wound>>3x Wound

don't get agora before rifthunter... you have no innate crit and it is not useful without crit. build your crit stick first.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Munion posted:

don't get agora before rifthunter... you have no innate crit and it is not useful without crit. build your crit stick first.

Its not as wasteful as it seems, because you'll already have the 50% bonus passive finished early along with a poo poo ton of power.

Building Agora before Rifthunter makes your basic attacks hit consistently around 450, instead of 290-ish with random crits.

Edit: And when you finish your first Rifthunter, you crit for 900+

This maximizes DPS, build power before crits; that way your crits will actually hurt.

coca bojangles fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 23, 2016

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I was trying to get rifthunter before agora for a while but the extra attack damage from agora is just way more useful earlier in the match.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

kojicolnair posted:

Yeah I was trying to get rifthunter before agora for a while but the extra attack damage from agora is just way more useful earlier in the match.

I was doing that too... this made me realize that consistent damage from power was better than relying on RNG.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Played a few games coop vs AI last night(thanks a ton for the pass Nyrv). Overall I had fun, although like every MOBA that uses them(which is every MOBA that isn't dota2) I find the whole concept of pure stat stick items inferior to the depth of items in dota2. Despite that I look forward to playing it more, and moving on to actually playing against real people. I do like the visual style and the sense of impact of the skills compared to Smite, which I have enjoyed off and on.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
So far my biggest issue with the game seems to be there is no reason to not just play an ADC and damage is king above everything else. The ADC's are strong enough early game (especially with how the orbs and jungling work) and are completely unstoppable late game as they snowball off killing the casters and 'supports' unless they are killed first by another ADC.

The casters have no real chance and don't impact the game enough and support is almost non-existent besides Muriel. I've gotten rocked by so many teams that are just Murdock, Twinblast, Sparrow, Feng, and Grux.

All those characters can just 3-4 shot you at level 10+ and then the game is just over. I was on Howitzer last night and had 3500 health and got killed by a Murdock in 3 left clicks in about 3 seconds. My max rank missile with heavy +Energy was hitting for a little over 400 damage. Something seems way out of whack with the way scaling works in this game. I'd like them to turn the TTK knob so I'm not being 3-4 shot mid to late game by every Left Click hero if I choose to play a caster or support.

All that being said I'm still really enjoying the game and look forward to watching it develop.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Rylek posted:

So far my biggest issue with the game seems to be there is no reason to not just play an ADC and damage is king above everything else. The ADC's are strong enough early game (especially with how the orbs and jungling work) and are completely unstoppable late game as they snowball off killing the casters and 'supports' unless they are killed first by another ADC.

The casters have no real chance and don't impact the game enough and support is almost non-existent besides Muriel. I've gotten rocked by so many teams that are just Murdock, Twinblast, Sparrow, Feng, and Grux.

All those characters can just 3-4 shot you at level 10+ and then the game is just over. I was on Howitzer last night and had 3500 health and got killed by a Murdock in 3 left clicks in about 3 seconds. My max rank missile with heavy +Energy was hitting for a little over 400 damage. Something seems way out of whack with the way scaling works in this game. I'd like them to turn the TTK knob so I'm not being 3-4 shot mid to late game by every Left Click hero if I choose to play a caster or support.

All that being said I'm still really enjoying the game and look forward to watching it develop.

Yeah, people have been talking about their normal attacks hitting for 400+ and when I was playing Howitzer that is comparable to what my missile was doing. Something seems really off for balance there.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

coca bojangles posted:

I was doing that too... this made me realize that consistent damage from power was better than relying on RNG.

that card set works really well for sparrow, in that particular order too, largely due to her passive

for TwinBlast, you can get that Harness Card early as a substitute for Agora Blade, you get attack speed and its a fury card with 50% crit bonus passive being activated on slot fill out

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
There is definitely a coorelation between TTK and Respawn time tbh, its why sometimes pushing is such a slog.

Me, Coca and Ezell and Blunderz and some random got invaded early on the red, we beat them back, was about to do the red, and they all came back to zerg us and cheesed really hard largely because of the TTK and the respawn time. By the time we finished killing the 4th player, the first 2 that we killed were back and running at us.

If it were smite, that Invade was a failure and it was over for them, they are behind and have to do a lot of catching up. I'm just bearing in mind that it's still in development and poo poo, 50% of the things ig are placeholders. So I do hope that they take a look at TTK, Respawn timers and scaling for casters

The Ezell
May 11, 2003
I play football. No, not that football. The other kind.

coca bojangles posted:

Total = 60 pts

Basic ADC Build:
Start: Health, Mana, Ward/Key
1st: Windcarver Blade: 3x Strike
2nd: Brawler's Ward/Key: 3x Strike
3rd: Windcarver Blade: 3x Major Kinetic
4th: Blade of Agora: 3x Major Strike (have to discard to buy)
5th: Spear of the Rifthunter: 3x Wound (have to discard to buy)
6th: Spear of the Rifthunter: 3x Wound (have to discard to buy)

Thanks for addressing the Agora vs Crit first part. I'm not trying to sell this as the one true ADC build. But I did do plenty of napkin math to back it up as a decent starting point for buildcrafting. The key points are:

-A fully slotted equipment gives stats equal to 4 card points while only having cost 3 card points
-A 6 item build is ideal because of the above
-Using 2 cost card upgrades early gives you a power curve that will be slightly ahead of 3 cost upgrades ~90% of the time
-Power upgrades add significantly more %dps than any other upgrade early on
-Crit upgrades are, relatively, quite weak until either blade of agora is finished or you have >150 power

Note: This really only applies to Twin, Sparrow, Murdock, Grux and Feng as they have near 1:1 power scaling on AAs, the math is very different on other characters. Surprise, these also appear to be the strongest characters in the game currently.

Rylek posted:

Yeah, the game is significantly less fun when I try to play casters versus any of the 5 strong left-clickers. It seems like only Rampage and Muriel manage to find a place outside of the 1:1 AA Characters. Maybe Dekker and Gideon for utility, but even Gideon's damage falls off late against the left clicks. It'd be nice if they adjust it soon so playing those other characters can be more entertaining.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, people have been talking about their normal attacks hitting for 400+ and when I was playing Howitzer that is comparable to what my missile was doing. Something seems really off for balance there.

Howitzer is confusing. Nothing scales even though he's clearly presented as a damage character. He has enough utility and mobility in his kit between his bouncy mine and ult leap (cancel midair for the mobility and a shorter cooldown) to potentially be a useful tank/brawler. But tank/brawlers that actually hurt people exist.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So... is there already a drop in players? we have been waiting in queue a while.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I started playing Smite again because it had been too long since I'd played this kind of game and I wanted to refresh with something I was familiar with. Also I had done zero matchmaking.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Sevarog reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXd-UPgVG3Q

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Where can I find a good build for Howizter? right now it really sucks playing him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

coca bojangles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QicMCysZbGo

Cleanup quadra almost penta with Dekker.

owns~ Dekker is my fave :h: finally got 75k rep to get her master challenge :toot: nothing but skin grind hereon out

One thing I do notice is that if you do her right, she can shut down Grux before they snowball

• Locked thread