Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I like that they've fulled embraced Lucario's identity as "DBZ Transplant Character" for Pokken.

Same for Mewtwo. Both Mewtwos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Bass Bottles posted:

If you play as Mewtwo or Chandeleur you are a bad person and I hate you.
I'm not sorry.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bass Bottles posted:

If you play as Mewtwo or Chandeleur you are a bad person and I hate you.
I am also not sorry.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Your wicked ways only fuel my thirst to train harder

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When are they going to add good characters to the game.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Maractus or bust!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

mabels big day posted:

Pikachu Libre is already in this game

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Cicadas! posted:

Maractus or bust!

This, but unironicly.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
So is the Friendly Battle just filled with nothing, but 600+ game 70% w/l guys or something? I got my poo poo ruined 6-7 games in a row before I gave up on account of not having fun trying to learn Weavile.

On a separate note, seeing as how I'm a poo poo tier newbie here, what should I be doing against Shadow Mewtwo and Gardevoir, they're about the only two I couldn't at least see what I was doing wrong.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
How good is Charizard? My decision on whether or not to buy this game fully rests upon how awesome my pudgy orange dragon fighter is.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Well I can tell you he's completely ripped so there's that

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

The Worst Bear posted:

How good is Charizard? My decision on whether or not to buy this game fully rests upon how awesome my pudgy orange dragon fighter is.

His learning curve is fairly high I would say, but hes completely playable.
The biggest issues with learning zard are getting in, staying in, and knowing when to take the low-risk low-reward option once your opponent has the balls to try and stop you.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Only thing I really know about Charizard is that his Fireball > Fireball > Charging Flamethrower field attack is punishable on block, so don't go crazy with it, but it does stuff (most) ranged projectiles.

Also his Burst is deceptively quick and moves him out of harms way for the most part

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

mabels big day posted:

I know you're not being entirely serious but come on man Machamp is in the game. Machamp has always been a top-tier pokeyman.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Thanks for the responses, as long as he's buff not completely unplayable against your average online opponent then I'm good. I don't mind putting in the time to learn a less than optimal character as long as they don't have some fatal flaw.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Chandelure is cool and good. If you play as mewtwo tho then you are lame and not cool

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Mewtwo fans were obnoxious edgelords in 1996 and still are today.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
the greatest crime is emalde can't defend his mewtwo-playing honor against all these posts

rip emalde

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Mewtwo fans frost their tips and wear flame shirts and cargo shorts.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I just dunked on a scrub lord in all range mode with machamp. Their salty tiers were delicous. No one expects the machamp zone game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dizz posted:

Mewtwo fans frost their tips and wear flame shirts and cargo shorts.

Don't talk poo poo about my Animal Crossing character.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reznor posted:

I just dunked on a scrub lord in all range mode with machamp. Their salty tiers were delicous. No one expects the machamp zone game.

I think Machamp is better in field phase than he is in duel phase.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So I'm in move practice mode and I can't figure out sometimes what it wants me to do, even for basic moves.

Like with Pikahu Libre. I'm supposed to do (forward + X . X) So I hit forward and x at the same time, then hit x again. Both hits land. But according to the game, I haven't done the move yet?? What am I doing wrong????

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Reznor posted:

Any tips? I'm not good at approaching anyone decent online with Machamp.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

So I'm in move practice mode and I can't figure out sometimes what it wants me to do, even for basic moves.

Like with Pikahu Libre. I'm supposed to do (forward + X . X) So I hit forward and x at the same time, then hit x again. Both hits land. But according to the game, I haven't done the move yet?? What am I doing wrong????

Most moves and followups can be mashed. You can hold Forward and mash X here, for example. The only exception are moves that explicitly say they must be timed or that you'd otherwise want to be timed. Make sure you're pressing the correct button and you can hop in Combo Practice mode to see some of the moves demonstrated in combos, like this pikachu libre move.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

mabels big day posted:

I think Machamp is better in field phase than he is in duel phase.

This is a super common misconception, I thought this too until I spent too much time on this drat game.
Machamp needs to get in point blank in field phase as to not have a lovely duel phase, but he is unarguably better in duel if that happens.
If the matchup gives you better tools in field phase (some do) consider ending duel phase with flurry punches or regular grab as to reset it asap.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I play a little Machamp and can help. For field phase, you want to cover yourself with the jump Y fists, they're a big slow projectile you can move under. You want to have the A buff on all the time too for cross chop, which travels super far. Forward Y has some armour on it which is useful when close, and backwards A kills projectiles, which is vital. You also want Whimsicott assist.

Remember that homing attacks can be cancelled into jumps or blocks (for every character), so you can for example, start with an X attack, then when you get into their projectile range, jump and hit X for the air homing attack to get over their projectiles and score a hit.

In duel phase your get in tools vs zoners are Whimsicott assist, upforward A to cover space quickly. and back A chop to kill projectiles.

There is also the counter attack dash cancel, but that's honestly a pretty lovely option for Machamp. His dashes just aren't fast enough for it to really help.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Rafza posted:

the greatest crime is emalde can't defend his mewtwo-playing honor against all these posts

rip emalde

Emalde posted:

also Rafza you should edit your post with this quote from me "no i agree with them, anybody who plays mewtwo is a dirtbag and does so because he's filthy cheating scum and objectively better than much of the cast, i play mewtwo because it's unfair"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16523/~/shadow-mewtwo-amiibo-card-offer-for-pokk%C3%A9n-tournament

Free Shadow Mewtwo amiicard for people who bought the game digitally via eShop. Please drop it in the OP somewhere, valid until the end of July '16.

This is already useless for everyone at this point, but may as well!

Just reporting that I got mine with no fuss, so if anybody still hasn't done so, you still have a fair amount of time to.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nah, I'm poo poo too.

If you can read they are going for a slow attack focus punch is hilarious and hits like a truck. After a few of those you start throwing boulders, that comes out real quick and fucks up their attempt to read the timing. If you get them scared, as you are probably playing a literal child, you can walk up counter no issue.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Patch Notes: http://www.pokkentournament.com/en-us/article/?id=pokken-tournament-patch-news

quote:

These notes outline the fixes and improvements made in this update to Pokkén Tournament. After the update, "Ver. 1.2" will be displayed in the upper left of the title screen.

Note that if you do not download the update, you will be unable to use some modes, such as online battles.

You will need 367MB of available space in your Wii U console's memory in order to download the update. Please use separate USB media if you do not have enough available space. . Please click here for details. The update may be automatically downloaded and installed for users who have enabled Standby Functions in their Wii U console's system settings. The previous save data will remain usable after the update.

Battle Related Changes

* Adjusted to ensure Shadow Mewtwo is no longer able to force its opponents to continually block by repeatedly using certain moves.

* Adjusted Mewtwo's battle balance.

* Reduced effect of the Support Pokémon Reshiram for gameplay balance.

* Repaired several bugs that affected battles.

Pokémon-Specific Changes

Sceptile

Repaired an issue that caused Sceptile to pass through the ground when transitioning from Bullet Seed: preparation into Hang.

Mewtwo

Lowered the hitbox of Confusion to make it possible to evade it by jumping. Made it so combo damage doesn't increase as easily. Altered the animation of characters hit by Confusion as a Critical Hit during Duel Phase and reduced the amount of hit stun it causes.

For jumping attack / midair strong attack / midair weak attack to strong attack follow-up, removed the property that makes this move nullify long-range attacks. Also adjusted it so that when this move is counter attacked, that counter attack will be a Critical Hit.

Shadow Mewtwo

Adjusted so that when a side ranged attack is used repeatedly while the hitbox is still on the screen, the hitbox that is already on-screen disappears quickly.

Increased the recovery time when Miracle Eye is used in Field Phase.

Delayed the timing of when players can transition to Miracle Eye after a ranged attack.

Decreased the ease with which follow up ranged attacks that have been altered by Miracle Eye can cause Guard Break.

Slowed the start-up of the backward ranged attack and increased its recovery time. Also, adjusted it so when the move is used repeatedly while the hitbox is still on the screen, the one already on-screen disappears quickly.

Decreased the block stun time that the backward ranged attack into Miracle Eye move deals to opponents and increased the distance that it pushes opponents back. Also changed it so that the first hit causes a Phase Shift.

Pikachu Libre

Repaired an issue that caused Pikachu Libre to pass through opponents that are wall stunned when using midair strong attack.

Support Pokémon Umbreon

Repaired an issue that stopped the attack effect of Snarl from being displayed when Pachirisu's Follow Me is also active.

Support Pokémon Reshiram

Decreased the base damage of Blue Flare. Also decreased the ease with which it can cause Guard Break.

Thank you for continuing to enjoy playing Pokkén Tournament!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
No Dig fix, poor Garchomp.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Mewtwo slowly getting nerfed :getin:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Spintzel posted:

Mewtwo slowly getting nerfed :getin:

Sure but Confusion is a move that (I, at least) only do on reaction into a weak combo anyways.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so i guess fennekin giving invincibility for its entire duration for no apparent reason is working as intended?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

so i guess fennekin giving invincibility for its entire duration for no apparent reason is working as intended?

Yes, that's literally the whole point of Fennekin and Umbreon.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Emalde posted:

Yes, that's literally the whole point of Fennekin and Umbreon.

i don't like it though!

Damone
May 3, 2009
Hm, starting to find some interesting things you can do with Garchomp's up stance. I've been able to get jabs and counters in mid pokken combos. Dig's still broke though, somebody managed to trigger their burst attack while recovering from an attack, mid Dig. :suicide:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Did anyone ever purchase one of those Pokkén dedicated controllers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rexroom posted:

Did anyone ever purchase one of those Pokkén dedicated controllers?

I didn't even realize they existed outside of Japan. I never see them anywhere.

• Locked thread