Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Any other folks for the midnight train? Looking forward to watching Sceptile move in from UU to OU in the meta here :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I'll probably have to call Nintendo to see if my amazon eshop preorder qualifies me for the amiibo card.

Nope! No non-physical versions are eligible for the Shadow Mewtwo amiicard. It's not particularly relevant since it just lets you use the character before you legitimately unlock it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ranked Matchmaking is absolutely hosed and may as well not even have a logarithm for all the good it seems to be doing. I've run up against people who are two tiers higher than me with twice as many games played, people with significantly higher win rates than mine, and for my first actual rank-up match I got placed against a 0-0 player when I'm up to ~20 battles.

:psyduck:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Made a discord channel for organizing games, maybe drop it in the OP? https://discord.gg/0th271u4YmmhJeQf

Emalde
May 3, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I get the RPS basics but actual fighting game stuff is harder than smash bros is, and also less fun to lose in.

It's a lot closer to street fighter than it might seem. Keep your guard up, try not to throw out attacks unless you're confident in the absolute safety or ability to connect, etc.

E: join the discord folks! https://discord.gg/0th271u4YmmhJeQf

Emalde
May 3, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I've never played street fighter in my life.

Hold block unless you feel like they are going to grab you, attack them as they are winding down from their attack spam

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

This is really helpful and I hope to read more posts like it in the future!!

I know, but it's real advice. Some pokemon in the cast are fast and have long auto-combos, the urge to mash is very much a thing :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

What's the best way to get good? Online play? Training mode? The campaign seems a little too mindless but maybe that gives you a chance to learn strategy in a safe environment?

Play a touch of the tutorial mode, then go online for a good, long while. Get dunked, but learn your moves and other character behaviors, get comfortable with the RPS triangle and general flow of matches. Allow your frustrations at how you feel your character/playstyle don't seem to match up or be improving to build. Then, go youtube up some tournament play and have your core understanding of everything shaken and dismantled.
Incorporate the new knowledge via practice mode, repeat ad infinitum.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Do you really believe this was going to work. Captain obvious strikes again. I obviously don't know what song it is riffing off the top of my head, hence the question.

It's ~A Thing~ that youtuber does, honestly it's kind of aggravating b/c it pollutes the youtube searches for the particular songs he does it to, so if you don't already know that it's a gag account you get some weird bullshit instead :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

Is there a way to pick alt colors that I'm missing? Braixen's alt color owns.

Be the player 2 in a mirror match; in other words, no :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

So I keep on hearing people describing S.Mewtwo as a glass cannon, but I've not really heard much about the cannon bit of that, just how he can't take a hit. What are his strengths? He looks like a really cool character so I'm rather interested.

He is an insane projectile character, virtually filling the entire arena perpetually with bullshit (which he can remote control and redirect almost at whim for free), and has a lot of the same "gently caress off this isn't even fair" counter properties regular Mewtwo has. His burst is also completely full screen and even picks up out of the air a bit (just high enough to catch levitating chand/geng)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/hir0yuk1/status/712189793208143872
(Shadow Mewtwo has an unbeatable infinite)

:negative: Bamco please

E: more specifically, if you ever block the pillar, you're stuck in the block animation forever as it doesn't guard break, so they can chip you down to 1hp and instantly heal it back with synergy and you're pretty much entirely hosed outside of some godlike play

Emalde fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 23, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Reiley posted:

There are $10 ethernet adapters for WiiU which only make your connection better, the offbrand ones still work all the same and are highly recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1TX0K36502

I ordered this over christmas, it works with the front USB ports and is a godsend.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Gorp posted:

and its safe on block.

It really, really isn't. Grab him or mash out a light string.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pokkensingleplayer.jpg

Emalde
May 3, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

Lemmie figure out this adapter thing first since having a wired connection should definitely help.

Emalde posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1TX0K36502

I ordered this over christmas, it works with the front USB ports and is a godsend.

Sade posted:

Is there anything to spend my $$$pokebucks$$$ on after I've got my trainer looking the way I want?

The other gender :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Weird, the video you linked is of Manyula, not Weavile.

Anyway, I came in to ask how this game might fair for small kids. Their mom doesn't let them play games much so they aren't very skilled. Can you still do rad looking stuff just by sort of hitting buttons?

Either way i might pick this up because im sure my older brother will love it, if he hasn't bought it himself. Also because im the cool step bro for the little bastards.

You definitely can, but you'll never, ever win online. Single Player is about as difficult as a training dummy set to "walk forward and push attack" for the entire campaign. It's actually a pretty bad deal for a game at 60bux if you want to do anything other than shoot for leaderboards or don't have a regular group of friends to play with.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

Also if they don't start putting DLC in a la SSB, I'll be real surprised. It seems tailor-made for it.

Sm4sh has the benefit of being on the 3DS which means units sold and the increased revenue from being on a system that isn't the WiiU and justifies DLC.

Pokken was meant to get all of its DLC over the course of its arcade lifespan but that was cut short by the realization that Bamco was unable to generate worthwhile AI to challenge people who aren't just playing against other humans and turned out to be massively unprofitable as people would get 40-60 minute plays on a single credit and never touch the game again. It's why the WiiU version was rushed out and likely is why it lacks any serious usability features (lobbies, replays, etc) that Bamco otherwise knows how to develop in their fighting games.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

When some gets up from a knock-down and I try to grab them, usually the glowy light around us will turn orange and I'll get hurt/knocked back. What is happening?

Also, how do I not get instantly destroyed every time I am knocked down and they stroll over to me for a grab?

In both scenarios, the answer is "attack button is being mashed"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16523/~/shadow-mewtwo-amiibo-card-offer-for-pokk%C3%A9n-tournament

Free Shadow Mewtwo amiicard for people who bought the game digitally via eShop. Please drop it in the OP somewhere, valid until the end of July '16.

This is already useless for everyone at this point, but may as well!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Gorp posted:

If the person is a rage quitter their matchmaking value looks like it goes down even if it doesn't change their physical rank.
The now S rank Chandelure has been matched with me so many times. I have to let it look close or he just DC's again.

If you block somebody via Friend List -> Player History, it prevents you from being matched up against them. Good for laggy folks or people prone to quitting.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Rafza posted:

the greatest crime is emalde can't defend his mewtwo-playing honor against all these posts

rip emalde

Emalde posted:

also Rafza you should edit your post with this quote from me "no i agree with them, anybody who plays mewtwo is a dirtbag and does so because he's filthy cheating scum and objectively better than much of the cast, i play mewtwo because it's unfair"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16523/~/shadow-mewtwo-amiibo-card-offer-for-pokk%C3%A9n-tournament

Free Shadow Mewtwo amiicard for people who bought the game digitally via eShop. Please drop it in the OP somewhere, valid until the end of July '16.

This is already useless for everyone at this point, but may as well!

Just reporting that I got mine with no fuss, so if anybody still hasn't done so, you still have a fair amount of time to.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

so i guess fennekin giving invincibility for its entire duration for no apparent reason is working as intended?

Yes, that's literally the whole point of Fennekin and Umbreon.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

http://pokkenarena.boards.net/thread/1616/june-15th-patch-notes

Cresselia is no longer invuln, Guarding has been buffed as many characters now have less pressuring options against it, Mewtwo sees significant nerfs, and a few other things of note.

Thanks for keeping up, Bamco :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pokken's getting a new character (Darkrai), some more single-player content ("Mission Panels", they look kinda like Smash challenges?) and some other stuff. They're talking in the context of arcade updates right now, so no idea when they'll come to Wii U and/or how much they'll cost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zZkUKdjZc

Darkrai being a trap character rounds out the standard roster of fitegame character archetypes, so that's rad. I'm going to cry if Scizor is just a support though and not going to be a playable addition :qq:

• Locked thread