Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I told myself I wasn't going to get Pokken but reading about the various bells and whistles they included that certain other fighting games currently lack and about people already having favorable impressions of the online experience has me leaning toward biting the bullet and getting it at midnight. I'm gonna be the very best like that Weyland kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm downloading this game. Gonna be Pokken around the training dojo in about 15 minutes if things keep downloading steadily.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

When you're trying to learn a character, after running through their Action Dojo and Combo Dojo sections in the tutorial area, I suggest checking out their movelist in the pause menu. You'll find out properties of various moves that otherwise wouldn't be immediately apparent. For instance, some of Garchomp's strings and a couple of his A button special moves can transition directly into the Running Stance that normally requires a fff input on the dpad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

LemonAIDS posted:

What the heck does it mean under sceptiles move list where some of his moves have a growth version that just says "after time has passed" or something. Does that just mean if you don't spam the move it's slightly stronger?
E: Nevermind found out. It's just the second hit on those attacks. That really doesn't need a separate entry in the movelist.

Had a few great online matches. Even my lovely internet handles it great. I get like half a second stuttering at the start of matches then smooth as butter the entire rest of the fight. It's great. Totally in love with chandelure. If you can stack both his debuffs on a guy then hit him with a hex that will straight up take off half his hp bar, it's nuts.

Actually the thing with Sceptile as far as I know is that he can delay the later hits in some of his strings, and if you time the delay just right, it alters the number of hits and the property of that delayed part of the string. It's used in one of his Combo Dojo sample combos.

Chandelure is also really cool. It's really not too hard to stack debuffs on the opponent with him, since his neutral A is such a great move and he has a multitude of ways to combo into both forward+A and neutral A in duel mode. You can also use support pokemon that cause debuffs to help out, too. But yeah, Hex is amazing and it's pretty nuts they even let you combo into it off properly spaced down+Y.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Senerio posted:

Magikarp Festival is the best stage qtiyd.

Yes.

Gaffle posted:

Just wait until they all figure out that dig is cancelable into throws

Dig is also cancellable into jump which looks pretty funny.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

LemonAIDS posted:

I like espeon for chendelure support. The debuff removal lets me use overheat without the debuffs after every once in a while. Though i suppose eevee would have basically the same result if you use it after the buff.

I think it might end up being more valuable to support Chandelure with assists that cause debuffs other than attack or defense down. Having two debuffs on the opponent in duel phase is the ideal situation for Chandelure to be in, so having another way of inflicting status is strong for him, especially if you can come up with a combo that lets you inflict two debuffs and also doesn't leave duel phase so you have time to threaten them with Hex/punish their attempts to avoid Hex.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some random things:

Chandelure:

- I mentioned before that some assists can be used to let Chandelure land two debuffs in one combo. An example of this is Rotom, where you can do something like:

(up+X or midair up+X or midair charged up+X), call Rotom, up+Y, pause, Y cancel f+A

- In general, ending combos in the f+A smoke move seems to be the best option unless you're gonna kill with something that hits harder. Plenty of Rotom's juggle starters let you do that easily enough though:

(midair X or midair up+X), YYY combo
(midair charged up+X or counterhit midair A) up+Y, pause, Y cancel f+A
up+X, b+YY cancel f+A

You can sub in super instead of f+A if you have burst active. Also that second combo might work off midair X, I can't remember at the moment.

- up+X cancels into the chandelier swing but nothing seems to combo after even on counterhit. It's still something to know about I guess. The chandelier swing is really cool though since it's Chandelure's fastest movement by far and lets him swing over projectiles and go for midair X in field mode or swing into midair YY range in duel mode.

Garchomp:

- I tested a lot of damage values into super off of fff+X specifically and what I found was that fff+X straight into super seemed to be more damaging than doing literally anything else. Without super, fff+X into b+Y, b+Y, f+YY was the best damage. The f+YY is sometimes hard to get after two b+Y in the combo though so you can drop one of the b+Y and not lose much in the way of damage.

- Canceling duel mode d+A with the block button goes directly into Running Stance, but I don't remember if it lets you continue running past a short distance or not. Still, it's a pretty fast way to get an fff+X or fff+YY out.

Braixen:

- If you did Combo Dojo with Braixen you already know that Farfetch'd assist can help her out both in terms of damage and in letting her land certain important specials that go into Sunny Day for her unique powerup state. It really ups the threat on landing most of her faster moves, including X, midair X, d+X, d+Y, and b+X. In several of these cases, the combo will Phase Shift at the end, so stray hits before it will cause it to drop, just as a thing to keep in mind:

(midair X), X ~ Farfetch'd, midair X, f+Y, d+Y cancel u+A,B
d+X ~ Farfetch'd, dash, midair X, f+Y, d+Y cancel u+A,B
(d+Y or b+X) ~ Farfetch.d, dash dash b+Y, YYY cancel u+A,B

The timing and spacing on the midair X juggles off Farfetch'd are somewhat character specific, so it'll be worthwhile to practice it especially on small characters (Pikachu) and weird shaped characters (Suicune for sure). In the first combo, I also messed around with charging the midair X, which seemed to work on characters where the Farfetch'd assist would definitely hit all three times, but I was having consistency issues with it. Also in all these combos, ending in super does barely any more damage so it would only be worthwhile if you really needed the Sunny Day x2 charge status up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I stumbled on this small-ish forum for Pokken stuff via a Youtube video and learned some things for the characters I've messed with: http://pokkenarena.boards.net/forum

Here's some Garchomp stuff I learned from there or based on things I saw there:

Duel mode midscreen:

X (hold X), b+Y, release X [210 damage]
fff+X (hold X), b+Y, release X [202 damage]
midair X (hold X), b+Y, release X [194 damage, must hit the midair X low on the opponent]

Duel mode, at the wall:

They have some other combos here ending in f+YY, but for what seems to be max damage, you can just go with these:

[X or u+X or u+A or u+Y or X+A] wallsplat, delay u+X (hold X and backwards), release X [251 damage / 246 damage / 206 damage / 228 damage / 134 damage]

The key here is just to make sure you get all three hits of u+X and all the hits of release X. Holding backwards helps ensure you'll take a small step toward the opponent and hit the release X deep enough.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Benach posted:

With that in mind,
My current Pikachu Libre duel mode bnb no-wall combo is
→X, →X, ↑→Y, air Y, jump forward Y, ↓X, ↓X - 155 Damage (with no buffs), doesn't cause phase shift but is really close

What I'm saying is, I hope somebody finds a better bnb.

It's not more damage, but I got 145 doing f+XX, u/f+Y, falling midair Y as late as possible, walk forward YYY cancel b+A. The YYY string has to be timed to get the blue slap on the third hit to get 145 damage out of it. This character's damage seems to be really poo poo outside of her powered up mode though so maybe you should prioritize that over damage unless you're gonna get the kill.

Edit: Oh, the YYY thing doesn't even cause the enhanced state like I thought it did. What a weird character. Ending in YYXX for enhanced is like 131 damage.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 22, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's funny to me that the mascot char(s) of Pikachu and Libre have some of the toughest combos in this entire game in terms of timing. Here's one I was playing with with normal Pikachu just now:

f+Y (hold Y), release Y, YX, d+Y cancel d+A [171 damage]

For the full effect, the f+Y has to be the blue version you get from pressing forward and Y on the same frame. The X press in the YX string also has to be timed properly for the powered up version, otherwise the combo drops there. Also this only does 9 more damage than the dojo combo of f+Y, f+Y, d+X, d+A, assuming you get the blue version of both f+Y in that one. It's probably worth knowing it exists though because the release Y sends the opponent over and behind you, allowing Pikachu to have an option that might lead to a wallsplat behind him.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Evil Canadian posted:

I didn't know weavile's name was pronounced "wee-vile" but I guess I shoulda known better.

I also didn't know machamp is apparently weavile, as the announcer lady always calls machamp that no matter what and its very confusing.

If you mean Nia the Navigator, she's talking to or about her own Weavile, not your Pokemon of choice.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Random Charizard thing: Cubone assist lets him convert off his neutral X two hit tai swipe thing midscreen. Neutral X~Cubone, dash f+[X], flying Y, u+A works and is neat.

Charizard has neat combos but a lot of them get overshadowed damage-wise by simpler things.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

sharrrk posted:

someone tell me how to deal big damage with braixen because im getting really sick of putting in a ton of work to get my opponent to 1 hp and then dying in two hit confirms

I made a post in the thread previously with some combo paths that utilize the Farfetch'd assist to get big damage off starters that otherwise wouldn't let you do as much, including neutral X and d+X. In general, though, the idea in Duel Phase seems to be ending combos in something that lets you tap B to get Sunny Day after (usually u+A Flamethrower) and then triggering the second level of the buff right away by releasing the A button that you've held from inputting the special. You can do this in neutral situations, too, like doing Fire Blast with b+[A],B and then releasing A when you're sure they've blocked it for the second boost.

Even one level of Sunny Day opens up some more combo options, though, since you now get the ability to follow up off of f+A Fire Spin and midair A or u+XX Flame Charge. Getting the second level of the boost gives you attack up though so it's worth getting used to getting both levels back to back off those specials that let you.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If anyone here is playing Gardevoir, this dude's channel has some good content, including this short video of a pressure/lockdown pattern with the Quagsire support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0S6-H4cpdY

I messed around with Gardevoir for a bit earlier, and it seems like it's almost always worth it to give up some damage at the end of a juggle and set up either a d+A or a b+A,X on the opponent's wakeup. b+A,X seems good to get out whenever possible just because having b+A charges stocked to make f+A better is always a good thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

A couple more Gardevoir things:

- Wall combo off the basic string: YYYY, b+A,A for 199 + 30 from the wallsplat

- Wall combo off f+X: f+X, full charged A+X, u+Y, YYY cancel 4A is 241 + 30 and leaves Gardevoir in the Calm Mind state during the Phase Shift. If you delay the press just right, this lets you throw the 4A,X Psychic projectile to chase them off the wallbounce.

The combo can also be started with YY cancel f+A as long as you have no Calm Mind stocks stored for 148 + 30 damage (Edit: This one is causing Phase Shift on Pikachu for me now so I'm not sure what's up).

If you start with f+Y, omit the u+Y for 221 + 30 damage. This combo path doesn't seem to work on Charizard since you need the tiniest of walks to connect the charged A+X which makes Charizard fall too low for the third hit of YYY later on.

- Ending the previous combo with the charge and release A move (held from the charged X+A previously) is 3 more damage but doesn't go straight into the Calm Mind.

- For pure damage at the wall, f+X, immediate midair A, charged u+Y works for 266 + 30 damage. You can instead end in the YYY cancel 4A thing for 246 + 30, five more than the other combo with the same ender. This one works on Charizard, too, but it's just a bit harder in general. Also, if your timing is off, the charged up+Y won't hit fully on smaller characters.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 30, 2016

• Locked thread