Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can tap five amiibo a day to get free amiibo-only items, and then tap the same five amiibo every day afterwards. Also this game is good, I really like the field mode > duel mode > field mode transitions, it sorta scratches a Dragonball itch now that I think about it.

I like Pika Libre a lot but Regular Pikachu has a good variety of tools to get in close and to battle zoners, who I don't want to get gobbled up by. Lucario feels really good too but I gotta be honest,

e: Diglett/Cubone is my favorite assist set so far. One is great for tying up nuisances and the other pulls opponents towards you even when they're blocking and sets up very fun grabs.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

Seriously though why the gently caress isn't there any option to put loving hats and costumes on your goddamn Pokemon.

Animals don't wear hats.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Combo dojo is a very good feature. Cycling through the full moves dojo set is also an extremely good way to learn a character. Very good game A+. Are they going to have arcade cabinets set up at EVO or are they going to do the nightmare dance with wireless pro controller coupling?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If someone is shielding your approach you can use your X combo in Field Mode and just hold the last input, the burst does piercing damage and forces the shift to Duel Mode. Mishima Pikachu has a really good Field Mode move in back+Y, where you very quickly leap forward and burst into Duel Mode.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gengar's grab game is really strong but his super is a grab too so if you jump it can't get you. You can jump over Pika's too but you can also really easily confirm into it from light attacks. Pika's >Y >Y vX vA combo in Duel Mode is really satisfying to pull off. Thunder is the best anti-zoner move I've ever seen, if they stand still to throw out a strong laggy projectile you can always drop a Thunder on their heads, it forces them to move and saves you from getting pinned down too badly.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/Cross_Ultimate/status/711795210779561984

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Amppelix posted:

This isn't how ditto works anywhere except a single episode of the cartoon which apparently everyone remembers. Ditto normally makes perfect copies, that one ditto was just bad at it.

Thanks, Neil Degrass Typeson

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I would choose, if I had the power, either Doublade or Aegislash, or Meloetta for cool stance changing mechanics which I think would fit the game nicely. Meloetta could be something like Aria in Field and Pirouette in Duel or switch stances whenever. I think it'd be fun.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah just played a few matches online, netcode seems really legit(especially since wireless is basically the only option for wii u). That and matchmaking is blazing fast holy cow.

There are $10 ethernet adapters for WiiU which only make your connection better, the offbrand ones still work all the same and are highly recommended.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Weavile is very scrappy and cute, Nia made a strong choice and a lifelong friend.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Is there a reason to use regular grab if you have a command grab? Is it a frame data thing or does it work in situations where the command grab doesn't?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

2MB posted:

Not sure about other characters but Machamp's command grab is slower to start up. If you want to initiate a phase change you would want to use regular grab but that's about all I can think of. Maybe mixing up the grab animations if the opponent starts to react to your command grabs?

Pika's Nuzzle phase changes as well and you can combo into it, its on >A and I've just used it so much I realized I couldn't tell you what Pika's field-mode standard grab animation is. If its faster it sounds like normal grab would be a better Triangle response to (???) command counters.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

What the hell is with the netcode in this game? I just tried to play 4 ranked matches, and all 4 of them were the laggiest connection I've ever played, followed by disconnects before the first round ended. I lost gold for one of them!

Are you on wifi? If yes, I have some bad news.......

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I found the use for Pikachu's non-command grab in Field phase, it changes phases and leaves you extremely close to your opponent so its a really good way to get into duel mode and start doing those really good combos. Also, in the move dojo if you pull up the Move List it tells you the battle triangle properties of every move and gives you advice on what those moves are actually for, I didn't realize up+A was a command counter, or that Thunder can be cancelled with R, OR that you can hold a d-pad direction before you input Thunder and move in that direction in the air before the move comes out, ORRR that you can both shift momentum in the air AND cancel Thunder. In Duel mode if you hold forward and Thunder you can gain ground and if they shield the thunderbolt you can land close enough to command grab into Nuzzle, which itself can confirm into Burst Attack. Anyways what I'm saying is go read the movelist in the dojo and read all those useful notes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Regular Pikachu is extremely good, by the way.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

i despise fighting pikachu online because everyone using him knows this one specific combo that can follow pretty much any of his moves and can't be interrupted.

weavile has a teeny tiny reach on his grab so people who block and counter a lot are nearly untouchable because the moment i start running directly at them it's obvious what i'm about to do.

he is my cute and powerful friend but he is definitely not without weaknesses.

You might be referring to f.Y, f.Y, d.X, d.A. The game teaches you that one. Watch out for when they jump, they'll probably intend to j.X into it. A shield or a counter should stop it, the start-up moves are actually quite slow.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Flytrap posted:

I think it may count draws as double wins? Because I had a match where we had both won a round and then ran out the clock at the end with us both having a single point of health, and it told me I won.

In timeouts it determines the winner by who has a greater percentage of their health bar, I believe, so I wonder if having 1hp as a small character might count as a percentage victory over having 1hp as a large one.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

It does. This happened in a tourny a bit ago

That's cool, the player who took more health from the other guy makes sense as the winner, rather than both ending on the same health value drawing a tie.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Hmm, okay. I thought maybe it was a specific type of attack because I swear that never works for me :(

Go to the training town, go to the practice dojo, pause the game and bring up your move list. It'll list Attack, Grab and Counter labels next to all of your normals and specials, and you can see what all of their individual properties are and know what they beat.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pikachu's up-A isn't invincible, it's a Counter-property move. The move list in training states the properties and special traits of every move and is worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Pokken controller feels great but I don't feel like I'm missing something by not having my own like with Smash and GC controllers.

Seems like it could be nice to use with emulators too.

I kind of really want one for PC game dev testing stuff, it looks really comfortable for classic 2D games or emulators where there's no need for analog stick inputs.

• Locked thread