Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Canadian posted:

I do have a pro controller, however I do not have a second wii U. Playing with 1 wii U and someone playing with the frame rate cut in half at a lower resolution while looking at the tablet isn't too appealing. A drat shame because this seems like a fun little casual fighter I could actually get a lot of people interested in locally.

I played a lot of local multiplayer the other day on the Wii U gamepad, I can confirm that it works perfectly fine, so it really isn't a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Brother Entropy posted:

as cool as an idea this is a body morphing character on that scale is way trickier to do in 3D than a more normal character so it'd be a huge effort all just for one character

as opposed to skullgirls where hey, it's all loving sprites no matter how they're animated

In terms of just morphing a character into another? It shouldn't be that much more difficult since I'd think that you'd just need some messy transition frames while it loads in other moves which is perfectly feasible. Outside of that, it's just the same as any character in that you start the round and the game loads the given set of animations/models for that selected character.

The real issue is if you want to do the sort of slimy/gooey stuff that Double has, like how Venom is in the Marvel versus games. That poo poo is super hard in 3d and would mess up everything because it would have to be models + behavior to be programmed, where as you could just do normal sprites to get that effect in 2D. Getting a consistent theme for a transforming character like that which wouldn't be super clashing/gross looking and still fitting is probably the most daunting task.

I'd guess that's why with 3D models, you'll see this kind of archetype be more like Seth from SF4 or Charade/Necrid in Soul Calibur where the character has 1 base model that switches between pre-selected moves in that same model (or in Charade's case, the given round's random selection), rather than actually turning into those said things.

Inflammatory posted:

weavile and pikachu's sounds a lot more situational than the others, i'm almost never in any danger of my shield breaking since it seems like most players aren't super aggressive.

this upsets me because weavile's my boy. :(

This will probably change with time as people learn how to play the game better, would make sense that most of us start out flailing but learn later how to properly apply pressure.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rafza posted:

i...think thats when you two are grabbing each other; it cancels each other out. its not exactly like tech throws in other games, but i've had it happen repeatedly as well, it might be frame-perfect or near it

e: i could be wrong though, idunno, i have grabbed someone grabbing me and either won or lost the grab because i was either early or late

I tried throw teching a bunch when I played this at locals when I knew the other guy was gonna throw me, and it seemed like throw teching wasn't a thing. Or at least, the time you had was ridiculously shorter than normal Fighting Game tech times, which wouldn't make sense.

I've seen something like this before, but I always figured that maybe the opponent just did some attack that whiffed. The attack dodges the throw which is why the red barrier comes up, but because the attack whiffs you don't see anything happen. Honestly, it's hard to say since when it does happen, the red barrier almost completely covers the opponent so it's hard to see what exactly is going on.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

i have yet to face a Braixen player in any form, not in single player or online. weird. she looks fun.

I'm currently playing Braixen, she is pretty cool and fun, yeah.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Probably the weirdest thing to me about it is, if it WAS a throw tech...wouldn't it be a green aura? That would make the most sense, since the game likes to use Green for throws, Blue for Counter attacks, Red for attacks, so you'd think something related to throws would also be green.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Inflammatory posted:

it is absolute bullshit that you never get to fight nia. i was hoping she'd be the secret master of the iron league or someshit, but no. the game refuses to give me the chance.

The funny thing is that she's even goading you during the story and leagues. "You're almost as good as me!" "But I think Weavile and I still have the upper hand, heh."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is there a pokken discord? I didn't one listed in the OP

I can't join at that time (I get off of work at 4 pm est), but yeah I too am frustrated that I can't easily figure out punishes in this games training mode. I hope if this game gets dlc, they add in that function later. Or at least they put in framedata somewhere.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 24, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

may contain peanuts posted:

What the hell is with the netcode in this game? I just tried to play 4 ranked matches, and all 4 of them were the laggiest connection I've ever played, followed by disconnects before the first round ended. I lost gold for one of them!

I played like 20+ matches today, featuring people from like Texas and California and even a dude from Canada, and aside from 2 connections and 1 rage quitter everything was fine here.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

may contain peanuts posted:

I can't even play Massachusetts to New York in this game. RIP

Maybe we should play sometime? Then we could just gauge it there, maybe I'm just lucky or crazy.

(Though maybe we shouldn't, cause I'm also playing Braixen :x )

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Gorp posted:

Bursts in general are sort of nonsensical, they benefit keep-away characters way more than offence oriented ones.
Say I want to break the distance as Machamp or Charizard so I activate my burst, the opponent chooses not to block and gets fullscreen distance.

This is completely not true, I fell the exact opposite, for the exact reason Dosvidanya said. You can walk forward and armor through everything, and every little thing goes into big damage, and that's before super. Seriously, just armor through stuff.

Not to mention, when you get close, then bursts are hilariously good for pressure. Besides having super invincible and safe supers to throw out at any point, you naturally have armor which makes the guessing game much more favorable for you. Escaping the pressure of someone in burst mode takes a lot of commitment.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
There's only so much to say. "Today I played and got bodied, how can I get in on Chandulure" or "Today I played so well, gently caress those Garchomps". The game is still great and has people playing online, but aside from dedicated tech discussion (which you already should be getting from other places for this game) idk what else to bring up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I imagine if they are coming to console, they'll come when they're all ready. The base game for Pokken took a while to come to console too.

• Locked thread