Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I don't really understand this game but I enjoy hitting people with my crystal ice dog's ice attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

So I played Pokken for about six hours straight. I used only Suicune, haven't even looked at anyone else. The game's pretty fun, but it takes quite a lot to figure out, especially coming from Smash and having never played a traditional fighter seriously.

I love running into scrub Pikachus that spam Thunderbolt and Braixens that spam Fireball and I'm just like "lol, Mirror Coat." And they keep doing it!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I've used Suicune exclusively so far. Maybe I don't really understand the game as well as I could, but she feels pretty sluggish when it comes to fisticuffs. Her distance game is on point, though.

During Field Phase, Ice Wall (down+Y) is an amazing defensive option. You can only press it for a little wall, or hold it for a big one that last a long time. It absorbs most projectiles; it's a hitbox that slowly advances; you can spam them pretty reliably; if they try to run around it, you usually have enough time to get up a counter or even retaliate, and if you're not fond of either option, you can just run straight through your own wall and they can't follow you. If it's spaced correctly, Garchomp can't dig under it. If you get a knockdown next to a wall, you can back up a little bit, put down a wall, and then grab or attack them because they'll either get hit by the wall or they'll be too busy blocking it. It's obnoxious how good it is, and its bad cooldown can be mitigated just by using the smaller version.

She isn't quite as strong in Duel Phase, especially since you can't use Ice Wall, but the whips on her tail have pretty disgusting range. Her strong down attack can cause knockdown from a full body-length away and it has decent cooldown. Aurora Beam is already really good and you can angle it up. Her strong up attack last forever and, being an anti-air, has enough disjoint to beat just about anything. Also, her high stance by itself is top-tier.

But her definite strength is in her keepaway game. Even without Ice Wall, she still has Blizzard, which is absurdly powerful; Aurora Beam and Hydro Pump; and her aerial Y attack goes the whole stage at a low angle. If you try to camp her back, she has Mirror Coat, which counters itself into Hydro Pump. She's really good at fighting you when you can't fight her back.

That said, she gets bodied pretty badly by smaller characters. I'm pretty sure I haven't beaten a single Weavile and that the match-up might be close to unwinnable for her. Pikachu Libre is crazy difficult too.

It's a fun game! Suicune is nearly level 100 so I'll be looking into someone else soon. Thinking of either Lucario (mostly because he looks easy to use) or Gardevoir (she, like Suicune, has very little representation).

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Pokemon That are cool that should be in Pokken:

e: fixed the framerate

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 22, 2016

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I feel like I'm only playing half of Suicune. I got her zoning down decently but in my experience so far, her duel phase options are so bad that her only reasonable option is counter. It's quite frustrating and disheartening. Maybe I should actually look into a different character for a bit.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I've fought a guy as far away as Norway and the connection was fine, and I fought a guy that lived in my own tiny province in Canada and it was awful. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the individual ISPs at fault.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

he's not on the ground. it's the move where he shoots up diagonally into the air.

Oh, that's Extreme Speed. You can just counter it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

sharrrk posted:

nice. wheres the trailer though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-v1ypUk-Fc

• Locked thread