Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i have spent my entire afternoon on this so far

tutorial is amazing, explains things that people who haven't played fighters wouldn't know about (like recovery on block and attacks that can combo on hit) without getting too complicated, combos are not hard at all and there are a wide variety of things to learn because of the shift mechanic, avatar customization is extremely varied and there are a shitton of titles to collect, and yes the game music is fantastic. havent tried online, probably will hit it up tomorrow

my chandelure is 25 and i've only unlocked red league but the game owns owns owns and im probably going to play it for the foreseeable future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
come to the discord in 15 minutes if u want an asskicking

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
If any of you were hoping single player gets harder, I'm sad to say it doesn't. Chandelure mash a works throughout chroma league, final mewtwo fight, and iron league, including the final fight of the campaign.

I guess watch out for gardevoirs since they can beat your long range bullshit but otherwise yeah its easy, gets you the titles/cash to play pretty princess quickly

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
figured i'd share what i've tried with blaziken

one of blazikens combos is X > Up + Y > Y (Hold) > Airdash (R) > Airkicks (Y) > -> + A; its a decent combo that deals about 200 damage, and if you get a wall bounce with it you can end it with Sky Uppercut (^ + A). The problem is its start-up (X) relies on you being right up in their face, and the startup for it is kind of slow...

his bnb is probably his triple Y into blaze kicks since the startups are so quick on it

You can also just double Hi Jump Kick for 180 damage; if you hold the first one and empower it, it ground bounces and lets you follow up with another...but boy do you have to aim it because that recoil damage is no joke.

I'm still trying to find a good way to combo into Burst, but even if you miss it and hit shields you still get the speed up buff, so if you can force it into field phase somehow you move at mach 10, most people aren't expecting you to move that quickly. If you land a wallbounce you can burst into it and it will hit.

I'm liking Electrode assist for pokemon like Machamp and Sceptile, because they have to be in close range to do much and will trigger a counter more easily, but I want to try out Diglett/Cubone more to pull in/disrupt long range fighters

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 21, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mabels big day posted:

From a video I watched, Emolga is a very good partner for Machamp in the field phase, because you can combo its hits into a Bulk Up boosted Cross Chop to get in on someone from a decent range, and it lowers their speed for the Dual Phase right afterwards.

This happened to me when I played Chandelure and it loving SUCKED

Bulk Up Boosted Cross Chop hurts like hell

e: unrelated but if there was ever a reason to get a capture card and make videos, this was it, because drat this game is fun as hell

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Forbidden Donut posted:

Thinking about picking this up, I'm really digging the way the fights seem to play out.

Anyone pick up the pro pad too? If so how are you liking it? I know it's not REALLY needed but it looks slick, unfortunately most places are out of stock right now. Does it light up? (please tell me the bottom lights up)

The bottom lights up to show what player you are, but otherwise no.

The pro controller is really nice, its a lot easier to land combos with it, and perhaps the best part is you can rebind your grab/counter to the triggers if you don't want to do the x+a or y+b combinations. i think you can do this with the classic controller too

also its got a good weight to it, doesn't feel too light like classic and doesn't feel to awkward/heavy like the wiiu controller

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'll be recording and putting together some videos based on friendly games if anyone wants to assist with that later today (probably in 4ish hours?), come to the discord

also i'm gonna be honest, i forgot all about stances, so that shofu video is really, really cool and explains why a lot of my more recent games went south (eg trying to low counter an overhead from Emalde's stupid dumb smelly weavile)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there any kind of a sense of a tier list in this game yet? I'm working through story mode after settling on Machamp , who i seem to jive with, but I wonder if he gets walled out really hard against zoning characters played by real people.

That being said, gently caress, Machamp can push poo poo in up close

It's somewhat balanced; arguably the best characters include Chandelure, Lucario and Pikachu (Chandelure is king of the fireballs and has excellent punishes at range, i.e. hex / Lucario is an all-around duelist with good poke and excellent combos including an extremely punish-heavy game / Pikachu is strong at all ranges in all phases; he doesn't excel at any of them but he's solid, basically the "ryu" of the game)

Machamp is strong for different reasons; he does get zoned pretty heavy, but if the zoner makes a single mistake and Machamp gets in, Bulk-up anything destroys them; I think BU Cross Chop does 200+ damage? It comes out incredibly quick, the start-up for Bulk Up is very short and Cross Chop is almost immediate as well.

A good support mon to take with Machamp is Whimsicott, because you get immunity to ranged attacks allowing you to rush in.

e: Electrode is good too, its more general purpose but it does affect ranged attacks; you just need to be closer to the opponent then you think, because Explosion only travels so far

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 22, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Calihan posted:

One thing I am seeing a lot and cannot figure out is when I am going to grab an enemy then having a red shield effect come up around them and shrugging it off somehow. It isn't the Attack Triangle (they are not attacking) and it isn't a stance thing either (I've seen enemies like Pikachu and Weavile do it). I don't get hit for it but they shrug off the grab and the fight continues. It's like there is some sort of grab counter not covered in the tutorial or something.

Can anyone explain it? I haven't found an answer myself and enemies in Iron League seem to be able to pull it off annoyingly often.

i...think thats when you two are grabbing each other; it cancels each other out. its not exactly like tech throws in other games, but i've had it happen repeatedly as well, it might be frame-perfect or near it

e: i could be wrong though, idunno, i have grabbed someone grabbing me and either won or lost the grab because i was either early or late

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

i have yet to face a Braixen player in any form, not in single player or online. weird. she looks fun.

theres a ton in ranked, at least for me

psyfirecracker is a very, very deceptive and annoying move because it looks like its not gonna reach and then it does

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ventana posted:

I tried throw teching a bunch when I played this at locals when I knew the other guy was gonna throw me, and it seemed like throw teching wasn't a thing. Or at least, the time you had was ridiculously shorter than normal Fighting Game tech times, which wouldn't make sense.

I've seen something like this before, but I always figured that maybe the opponent just did some attack that whiffed. The attack dodges the throw which is why the red barrier comes up, but because the attack whiffs you don't see anything happen. Honestly, it's hard to say since when it does happen, the red barrier almost completely covers the opponent so it's hard to see what exactly is going on.

yeah idunno, might need to ask shofu or someone who's been following the game longer

when i get home i'll start trying to recreate it in training mode

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Rose Spirit posted:

I have literally never played a fighting game except some button mashing in Soul Caliber 4 and years of having no idea what I'm doing in Smash, but I picked up Pokken the other day and have been kicking the CPU's butt with Suicune (which I'm assuming is not hard at all). Shadow Mewtwo pushed my poo poo in though, and I'm kinda afraid to go online. What if my beautiful sparkledog gets hurt?? :ohdear:

heres how to play suicune online, based on my matches against it

spam ranged garbage in field mode
spam ranged garbage in duel mode, if they get close hit them with your antiair and juggle them infinitely until it switches to field
go to step 1

congratulations you win!!!! but if you dont win, you weren't spamming ranged garbage enough

im sure there's actual suicune advice somewhere but i definitely do not play it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Inflammatory posted:

speaking of bursts, can you break through gengar's burst with a normal attack, since it's considered a grab? or do you just have to start jumping around like a crazy person every time he pops synergy?

if a burst is active already (tested with chand and blaziken, at least, not sure about others) if gengar's attempt to burst in response, they will lose the trade

i do not know if you can just punch him, i think bursts get some armor/iframes on startup...but i've been knocked out of burst a lot so idk

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So shadow Mewtwo has a infinite.

Backwards Y then enhance it with Miracle Eye repeat. If they're blocking they can't lower their shield anymore and they're just stuck eating it forever. That's literally it. It drains you to 1hp as well but due to how the game works on %'s instead of exact numbers it'll always give him the win away.

does it not knock you out of duel phase even on shield hit?

if not that's...annoying

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dosvidanya posted:

The infinite is in field phase by the looks of it

ahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaha gently caress

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Broseph Brostar posted:

Hitmonlee could have filled the much needed Bruce Lee imposter slot on the roster

friend, blaziken already does this

hell his winning outro is him holding a kick in the air while going "waaaaaaa"

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbgLbes0QJU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mabels big day posted:

Why does fennekin make you invincible. Do any other supports do that?

electrode does counter, but that's explicitly stated when you choose him, and the counter, iirc only works for one solid hit before activation (meaning multihit moves will still hit you)

fennekin just straight up ignores everything for a couple of seconds, it sucks

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

2MB posted:

Welp, I just bodied ChrisG on stream. (I was literally his first 12 matches online)

you're a goddamned hero is what you are

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SeANMcBAY posted:

What does beating the iron league unlock?

A lot of pokedollars and titles. That's it, its effectively "post game" content.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i made a thing about the properties of blazikens burst vs other bursts in a vacuum, you can click on the annotation at the top of the video to get the showcase and skip the intro poo poo

interesting takeaways if you don't/can't watch the video

mewtwo and chandelure can burst and then block afterwards to avoid getting tagged by gatling flame kicks
braixen can as well, but only if GFK comes out first; if she bursts first, she will get tagged
weavile will straight up dodge gatling flame kicks with his burst
charizard will straight up defeat your gatling flame kicks in a trade

all other mons get defeated in a burst trade against blaziken

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

The Gorp posted:

So the gist is that all speed characters are absurdly solid, all power characters except chandelier are terrible, and Weavile and Braixen are the kings of the mountain?
Maybe I just lack information. How the hell are you supposed to deal with Weavile and his stupid blue backdash claw.

You can't grab him through it, you can't counter attack through it, and its safe on block.
The hell is this?

Braixen is good, but is not king of the mountain. All she really has is projectile vomit and a weak duel phase once you get in close range. That's the trick to Suicune, Chandelure and Braixen; once you get within close range their options are severely limited compared to the rest of the roster.

Biggest part of fighting them is getting around or going through projectiles. Braixen does have an irritating grab though

e:

The Gorp posted:

all power characters except chandelier are terrible

i'm fairly certain machamp is a power type and machamp has been sitting at the top or near the top of both leaderboards for a while now

Drowning Rabbit posted:

On topic of bullshit stuff that I'm unsure of how to counter, I play Pikachu Libre, and have a BITCH of a time with Charizard. Is it his counter that matches his flaming dash forward in Smash? I cannot seem to grab through it, and doing anything but blocking seems to just get me punished HARD. :(

I had a guy do nothing but spam the poo poo out of that for an easy win and I couldn't figure out a good way around it in the middle of the battle.

On that topic, I didn't have time to check and I'm now at work, but can I set up the training to have a training dummy Charizard to just do this over and over? I guess it would also be nice to check how to deal with that Weavile move too!

I think you can set it up to trigger on reaction (i.e. hit them while they're blocking and they will retaliate with whatever move), but I'm not sure. I only tested it with bursts.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 23, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Inflammatory posted:

what is even the deal with machamp's running grab move? it starts as a counter and then becomes a grab. how are you supposed to deal with that?

jump over it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Theta Zero posted:

On that note, does Machamp have really bad antiair game? I've literally never seen a Machamp use their antiair moves.

machamp's body slam acts as a sort of good anti-air if you time it right, but the more likely explanation is they don't know when to use anti-air yet so they avoid it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

IronicDongz posted:

I've put some time into Sceptile. How good is he? I'm assuming he's somewhere around mid-tier.

there is no real defined tier list yet thats researched, but sceptile has a lot of interesting field play with traps and grabs and such, so yeah stick with him

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

IronicDongz posted:

braixen is definitely not top tier

definitely strong though, combos well with frogadier, broomdash can't be grabbed and is very quick, field phase is really good

a good braixen will require you to cdac if you want to win more than a few times

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

may contain peanuts posted:

I couldn't find it either. Really disappointing. There's a ton of moves I wanted to try to lab to figure out how to beat them, but the training mode doesn't seem set up to let you use it like that.

its super disappointing that there's no record feature for training, yeah

hop in the discord later today (4pm eastern) and i'd be down for helping you test stuff

offer extends to anyone in the thread really, as long as you're cool with me recording it!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I'll PM OP to see if they can add the discord info to the first post, also i'm typically in the discord all the time but tonight at about 6:30 pm eastern i've got a pokken tournament so i won't be on much tonight

Worst case scenario you can hit me up tomorrow afternoon or over the weekend, i'll be playing it all weekend

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

may contain peanuts posted:

I'm gonna learn Braxien

i'll pm you this video of me playing vs my competitive player buddy, his braixen is super solid, i think i only got him twice out of 11 fights, but i'm still learning how to play properly and not mash out brave bird

it'll be uploaded tonight

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
I can't link twitter at work but Shofu posted a .gif of a top-ranked Lucario that quits games, but doesn't go down in rank

apparently, if you disconnect, you lose pokedollars and nothing else, there's no risk for online play

come on bamco, fix it

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sade posted:

That's disappointing, since the game goes out of its way to inform you that there are Serious Penalties for ragequitting the first time you hop into online.

yeah its awful, i'm assuming bamco is going to do some patching to not only fix this but remove dork mewtwos infinite but...the silence is not great

but hey if you play online seriously enough to be on the leaderboard, you probably go to events to play and thats where the real competition is so gently caress it i guess

Pollyanna posted:

Weavile is the best character in the game and none of you can convince me otherwise. :colbert:

i have never seen that intro at the beginning of the video and oh my god i need it

oh man i want a gif of that

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Theta Zero posted:

Pokemon get new intros once you get them above level 50. Garchomp tries to eat the camera and starts laughing while Mewtwo slowly turns around and then points. It's fun.

I think Blazikens is he kind of nods sagely before psyching himself up

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
as a blaziken main i agree with tossing him in c tier, but less because of the reasons given (its true though) and more because a good 50% of his attacks do recoil damage to him (hi jump kick, brave bird, i think even enhanced blaze kicks does it and thats probably his fastest move)

you can theoretically heal it all back since its all green health, but you're one hit away from losing it. he can take someone down from full to nothing in a few hits but one missed read and its hard to recover

i can appreciate that blaziken's A breaks counters though, i'm not sure if there are many attacks that can do that

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

The Gorp posted:

Lots of moves have this property.

A fully charged Charizard Jumping Y.
Blazikens jumping A (hold button)
Chandelures up A
Other fully charged counters

These are moves that break counters and not ones that just beat counters. There are plenty of moves that last so long that they outright beat counterattacks unless they are invincible all the way to the end in the case of say Charizards megapunch or Garchomps back A.

Two examples of these type of moves are Machamps flurry of punches or Charizards jumping down A.

oh neat, i haven't played against any charizards so i have no idea what he can do really, i should probably pick him up

on a different note: blazikens YYY into A (Hold) is completely safe, and if it hits its a free atk down + combos into down+y, down +y ; then you can rotom or y into blaze kicks to finish the combo. i want to play around more with victini instead of rotom though, since crits/hp seem super good on such a snowball-y character and extra synergy never hurts, since arguably blazikens burst mode is the best or one of the best in the game

a friend also showed me that you can cancel his duel phase Up + X (overhead kick) into air dash/kicks and its also safe; its not fast enough to dodge projectiles, but its an option

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

dromer posted:

I'm having difficulty breaking out of blockstrings from Pikachu and Pickachu Libre. After which moves should I try to counter or hit back?

i could be wrong, but im pretty sure that every pokemon can be countered after Y Y and before their third Y hit. it requires decent timing but you can shift from block to counter and get them off of you

libre in particular is susceptible to counters, pikachu is just really good at all ranges

what I would do is hop into training, pick libre/pikachu and then your main as the CPU, set your main to permablock and grab on reaction, and throw things at him until you find what isn't safe

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Only thing I really know about Charizard is that his Fireball > Fireball > Charging Flamethrower field attack is punishable on block, so don't go crazy with it, but it does stuff (most) ranged projectiles.

Also his Burst is deceptively quick and moves him out of harms way for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
the greatest crime is emalde can't defend his mewtwo-playing honor against all these posts

rip emalde

• Locked thread