Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I think the gameplay doesn't look very interesting but I will still buy this day 1 and enjoy it. A thing to keep in mind is that the character select screen still has 4 empty character slots, so there's certainly going to be updates/dlc. Hell, there's already a v1.1 Update.

Re: bad local multiplayer, it makes some sense since in far-away mode the camera is third person and there are attacks and items spread around the ground. Having the wiiu pad as the second camera is the obvious solution, though that's probably what's causing limitations. Splitscreen may have worked, though it's hard to tell how well (I personally don't like splitscreen in fighting/mecha games.)
Still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Combos in this game are pretty situation-based. In addition to the normal starting position, damage, knockback/down, meter gain, character sizes, character stance and wall considerations like in other games, you also have to keep track of the phase-changing system, of when it will shift and whether or not you want it to shift. Which is nebulous as hell and I'm having a hard time figuring out.
It's also unfortunate that this game's buttons are "Light", "Strong" and "Pokemon", since it makes combo listing a pain so everybody just uses the default control scheme buttons.

With that in mind,
My current Pikachu Libre duel mode bnb no-wall combo is
→X, →X, ↑→Y, air Y, jump forward Y, ↓X, ↓X - 155 Damage (with no buffs), doesn't cause phase shift but is really close

↑→Y as opposed to ↑Y is important since the latter misses on smaller characters. The timing for the two air Y are crucial, must be delayed a bit to land the end. ↓X, ↓X is deceptively early, should be done as soon as you land. Also, for some reason this combo is harder to land on Charizard than anybody else.
You can also cut it short, omitting the second jumping Y or even the first jumping Y string and hit ↓X, ↓X for phase changing considerations, or instead with ↑X, ↑X to become Enhanced for slightly less damage (though you probably can't end the full series with it since it lacks the range).
This also drags the opponent about halfway across the stage (more or less, depending on the stage size), where there's more complicated follow-ups/finishers depending on where in the combo they hit the wall. A new option of "→X, ←A" for debuff (and damage, if enhanced) is possible.

What I'm saying is, I hope somebody finds a better bnb.

Benach fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 22, 2016

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I've been trying to understand the combo system.

Combo A is this Pikachu Libre bnb I posted before. Combo B is the same, except omitting →X, →X at the beginning (which is useful since anti-airs matter).

A deals 155 damage. B deals 148 damage.

If you combo off of j.Y (3 hits, 30 damage) with A, you will deal a total of 185 damage. With B, 178
Fully charged counter (1 hit, 90 damage), A deals 140 (and Shifts), B deals 130
Single hit j.A (1 hit, 60 damage), dash forward, A deals 118 (and Shifts), B deals 118
j. X (1 hit, 30 damage), A deals 159, B deals 160

I've stopped trying to understand the combo system.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

So I'm in move practice mode and I can't figure out sometimes what it wants me to do, even for basic moves.

Like with Pikahu Libre. I'm supposed to do (forward + X . X) So I hit forward and x at the same time, then hit x again. Both hits land. But according to the game, I haven't done the move yet?? What am I doing wrong????

Most moves and followups can be mashed. You can hold Forward and mash X here, for example. The only exception are moves that explicitly say they must be timed or that you'd otherwise want to be timed. Make sure you're pressing the correct button and you can hop in Combo Practice mode to see some of the moves demonstrated in combos, like this pikachu libre move.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Dreamhack Austin streaming pokken championship tournament. The esports are real(?).

• Locked thread