Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
weavile's my jam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i haven't played a non-smash fighting game seriously since like dbz budokai but i'm getting decent at this and i believe you guys can too.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the number of people who are playing online for the first time and still kicking my rear end is somewhat discouraging.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

IronicDongz posted:

Some of these trainer comments are truly incredible

you... and me... and a ferrum battle.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please watch this video

Apparently Weaviles High stance and Pikachu's Low stance repair their block shield thing.

weavile and pikachu's sounds a lot more situational than the others, i'm almost never in any danger of my shield breaking since it seems like most players aren't super aggressive.

this upsets me because weavile's my boy. :(

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

i have yet to face a Braixen player in any form, not in single player or online. weird. she looks fun.

once you do, you'll wish you hadn't. she's a huge pain in the rear end to fight.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i haven't looked too hard at him but he's a technical type so he probably has low hp, and i could swear that when i fight him online he actually spends hp when using some of his moves.

also his burst hits the entire field or close to it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
speaking of bursts, can you break through gengar's burst with a normal attack, since it's considered a grab? or do you just have to start jumping around like a crazy person every time he pops synergy?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i wanna see more non-bipedal stuff. give me scolipede, nintendo.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

That reminds me, they should show you your opponent's victory pose instead of only your Pokemon's defeat pose. The outro's give the Pokemon a ton of personality but you only get to see them when you play as them.

same, but with intros too. although then we'd miss out on the suicune death stare.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
all right this combo every pikachu does that takes off nearly half my health and can't be interrupted is really getting old.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dosvidanya posted:

who's your main character?

I use weavile for example and how I deal with suicunes is on field phase I go at an angle. If they homing water missile orb I jump X them. If they do anything else I agility to the side and then flank.

In duel phase I approach with slide (goes under beam) and if they jump beam I switch sides on them (usually with another slide) and punish with a full combo. I try and stop myself from jump attacking because their counter is really effective vs what weavile wants to do (and usually counter pierces my counter). If they're doing other stuff, I use jump~b~a~forward a to close the distance.

weavile's jumping x in field phase is loving godlike, i fight so many zoners who have no idea how to deal with it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Gorp posted:

So the gist is that all speed characters are absurdly solid, all power characters except chandelier are terrible, and Weavile and Braixen are the kings of the mountain?
Maybe I just lack information. How the hell are you supposed to deal with Weavile and his stupid blue backdash claw.

You can't grab him through it, you can't counter attack through it, and its safe on block.
The hell is this?

the counter one that follows his taunt? i find that if the other character keeps their combo going i'll usually get knocked out of it, so my advice would be to just go nuts with the longest combo you have.

or don't, so i can win if i ever play against you.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it is absolute bullshit that you never get to fight nia. i was hoping she'd be the secret master of the iron league or someshit, but no. the game refuses to give me the chance.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
what is even the deal with machamp's running grab move? it starts as a counter and then becomes a grab. how are you supposed to deal with that?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
this just in: weavile's duel phase down+x interrupts garchomp's dig.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i guess so, but on the other hand, WAAAA

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Night Blade posted:

Oh god there's another league after red?

two. chroma, then iron.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the fact the pokemon themselves use their Japanese names

when does this happen?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i think they're just making noises.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i despise fighting pikachu online because everyone using him knows this one specific combo that can follow pretty much any of his moves and can't be interrupted.

The Gorp posted:

Simmilarly, speed characters have less health but build up so much synergy that they heal every round giving them more.
I legitimately think that each speed character needs some form of adjustment, they operate in field and duel phases so well with no consequences at all.

weavile has a teeny tiny reach on his grab so people who block and counter a lot are nearly untouchable because the moment i start running directly at them it's obvious what i'm about to do.

he is my cute and powerful friend but he is definitely not without weaknesses.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
all right my new least favorite move is lucario's command counter that comes out loving instantly how are you supposed to grab that

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

avlein posted:

Hit grab when they're on the ground and near you. It's really lenient.

he's not on the ground. it's the move where he shoots up diagonally into the air.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

Can't give enough advantages to speed characters can they?

-move faster, but have lower hp and damage
-get sync faster, but it doesn't last as long
-will win the match under this extremely specific circumstance
-???

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Broseph Brostar posted:

Tiny hurtboxes with huge hitboxes on attacks, their smaller healthpools are easily balanced out by healing every round, and they have the easiest time taking advantage of the attack triangle due to faster attacks.

weavile definitely does not have huge hitboxes, and it doesn't feel like his attacks are noticeably faster than anyone else's.

IronicDongz posted:

-every one of them still does good or very good damage
-getting sync faster is generally better than it lasting longer, especially since it means you get a heal every round
-"faster" characters are already usually a lot better than "stronger" characters in fighting games

these i'll concede although his damage feels low to me, but maybe i'm just salty about machamps grabbing me for like 40% of my health.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i would be shocked if the level up bonuses weren't turned off for online play.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so i guess fennekin giving invincibility for its entire duration for no apparent reason is working as intended?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Emalde posted:

Yes, that's literally the whole point of Fennekin and Umbreon.

i don't like it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
really hope we get a switch port with the new characters.

• Locked thread