Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Bought this game and feeling ovewhelmed lol. I like the phase shift thing, but learning one set of moves is hard enough. Now I need to learn two?? Just gonna spend some time in training I guess trying to memorize a few basic move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Starting to get the hang of Braixen. Almost got an online player KOed, mostly by spamming her back-A attack, Giant Fire X.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Emalde posted:

Hold block unless you feel like they are going to grab you, attack them as they are winding down from their attack spam

This is really helpful and I hope to read more posts like it in the future!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Emalde posted:

I know, but it's real advice. Some pokemon in the cast are fast and have long auto-combos, the urge to mash is very much a thing :v:

Lol I wasn't being sarcastic

Even basic flow of fighting games is foreign to me

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

is anyone else weirded out by Charizard's pecs

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

What's the best way to get good? Online play? Training mode? The campaign seems a little too mindless but maybe that gives you a chance to learn strategy in a safe environment?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I don't have fighting game playing friends unfortunately. But I think I will stick with online and try to always pay attention to what is happening and why it is happening THANK YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I rarely win online, but sometimes I can get in a few good hits or even take a round and it feels so good, especially when I achieve that through strategy and not just button mashing :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

braixen is definitely not top tier

Shut your mouth

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm actually winning some online matches tonight!! I guess that's what happens when you start actually learning what buttons do certain attacks and then using them strategically on purpose!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

may contain peanuts posted:

I can't even play Massachusetts to New York in this game. RIP

Do you have a USB Ethernet adapter? When I couldn't connect in Splatoon this fixed my problem. They're super cheap at Staples.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just fought the same random person in Friendly match for probably 40 minutes. We just kept re-matching!! :)

It was pretty even for a while, trading off wins, but he definitely got the better of me in the end. Still, lots of fun.

I feel a LITTLE bad how many of my wins came from spamming fire blast in duel phase. Just a little.

Thank you, Mewtwo-using player from Georgia, wearing a face scarf.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I hate how the tutorial forces you to move on after doing something successfully instead of letting you practice. Even worse is how, if you fail to do something successfully, it will eventually just give up on you and move on!!!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

When some gets up from a knock-down and I try to grab them, usually the glowy light around us will turn orange and I'll get hurt/knocked back. What is happening?

Also, how do I not get instantly destroyed every time I am knocked down and they stroll over to me for a grab?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Grabs are beaten out by normals, that is what is happening.

Counters beat normals, grabs beat counters, normals beat grabs. it's like pokemon starters water/grass/fire weakness triangle

Hmm, okay. I thought maybe it was a specific type of attack because I swear that never works for me :(

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I rarely see sceptiles or charizards online. I can't remember the last time I played against a Blaziken, either.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What if Nia got more competitive the higher your rank is

Like early on she does her usual "The most important thing is to have fun" but if you're at the top she's like "Yo pull the plug if it looks like you'll lose who cares about Pokedollars winning is literally all that matters"

That would be the coolest

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Just encountered someone with over 1000 games played and only 2 wins. They didn't move the entire match.

Are they randomly matching a second Wii U with people online hoping to eventually get matched up on their main account.... so they can grind rank in Friendly Match????

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

Was it TwitchPlays?

No it was just some guy

Didn't move at all, even when I ran around them in a circle for 30 seconds

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

If you play as Mewtwo or Chandeleur you are a bad person and I hate you.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Your wicked ways only fuel my thirst to train harder

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Well I can tell you he's completely ripped so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

So I'm in move practice mode and I can't figure out sometimes what it wants me to do, even for basic moves.

Like with Pikahu Libre. I'm supposed to do (forward + X . X) So I hit forward and x at the same time, then hit x again. Both hits land. But according to the game, I haven't done the move yet?? What am I doing wrong????

• Locked thread