Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Asking school-type questions is a reasonable way to interview for entry level positions, where candidates don't have a lot of experience to talk about. We've just never as an industry figured out how to interview more senior people appropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If none of the senior level developers you're interviewing are familiar with a topic, then you have to examine the possibility that it's just not that important in practice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A friend of mine interviewed for a junior web development position. Somehow he ended up getting questions about using stochastic gradient descent in a distributed environment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

leper khan posted:

I know someone who has been a tech director for years and was dropped late in the interview process because the CEO found out he never went to college.

Literal years of experience doing the job listed doesn't matter as much to some people as what you did 30 years ago.

It might be that the CEO's a snob, but it might also have been the right choice. Not having a degree is a social liability in some circles, and at a lot of companies, tech director is a position where it's important to be able to navigate those circles.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Oh yay I have a five round interview in Philly on Thursday and another five rounder in Manhattan on Friday, and these are supposed to be small startups. One of the rounds is a debugging session which admittedly sounds pretty cool, another one slightly concerning is called a "behavioral interview".

Behavioral interviewing is just asking questions like "Tell me about a time you [did something]". It's good if it's done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

leper khan posted:

If it doesn't have whiz it's not authentic.

Not a believer in provie wit?

• Locked thread