Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Lack of feedback is a lurking, sneaky horrorshow from the interview-ee side.

Went to an interview, ran into "How would you compute the sum of all odd numbers from 1 to 1000?"
Instead of "don't worry about syntax just notepad it" as suggested, I use csharppad and make a method that actually has some logic to handle inputs, bumps up the start of the sequence if it's even and bumps down the end if it's even, make sure the start is less than the end, bla blabade bla. I then call it and show the actual sum to everyone, and they're impressed. Then they go "AHA!" when I get around to the drat % operator.

Then I use jsfiddle for the "can you do basic web stuff" thing. Hell yeah bootstrap cdn.

Didn't know of a "(T-)SQL pad" so I did that in notepad. Probably hosed up some syntax there. If one exists that would be the poo poo.

Was told that I did well, and then "nah we want more experience thanks though." Nothing specific, nothing particular, just nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Why modulus? In C its just for(count=1; count<1000;count +=2) { sum += count; } or similar...

When i checked if the input range included even numbers

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

csammis posted:

So if the question posed to you was exactly what you said - "How would you compute the sum of all odd numbers from 1 to 1000?" - then it's possible they thought you went overboard by doing all this:

They didn't ask for a method which can compute the sum of all odd numbers over non-continuous unordered sequences. Quite likely they tossed you an introductory softball question and when you broke out a parametric equation solver to compute the angle of the pitch they thought "Why didn't they just hit the stupid ball?"

At my last job as a hiring manager we would give potential applicants a fairly basic test that involved making an object with some polymorphic properties and a linked list in which to hold them. It can be argued all day over whether this was a Good Test or not but I remember very clearly one applicant who did it in Java and wrote ObjectFactories for every single thing. The whole test ended up something like fifteen printed pages. As a result we went into the interview having serious concerns over whether they could actually do coding tasks without going to pieces overthinking the situation and not ever completing anything that wasn't perfectly [according to them] architected.

edit: It's also possible they were looking to trap you with unstated assumptions! The right thing to do is to ask "Is the input ordered? Is it all integers between 1 and 1000?" and so on. Then apply solutions as you see fit.

The fact that you can't actually trust your interviewer and it's basically a guessing game of what they really want is another horror.

I mostly did it in csharppad because I'd like to run something, not just throw poo poo into notepad. Why the hell NOT use a REPL?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I got a job once because I was cool and held up my race wheel/race tire up to the webcam during the video screen.

Then, during the in person, I was over optimizing (when asked to optimise) and the following exchange happened:
"are strings mutable?"
"Hell no" *scribbles stringbuilder on whiteboard*
"ok you got it"

They also asked if I knew why you would denormalize tables. I had no loving clue and they didn't care they just wondered if anyone knew why the DBA did that sometimes.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I had a sorta horror a few hours ago.

Recruiter sends me to their client's old office - the sign is on the ground in the hallway, not on the wall, and the inside of the office is mostly "under construction." I immediately call the recruiter and they say "Oh keep knocking they're inside and just moved there."

They did move. Somewhere else. I get a text of the address from the contact at $maybeJob and drive a good 15 minutes there, and find that without incident.

The coding portion was "given an array (not a list?) of data points with state/city/datetime/low/high give me monthly averages by city." But, alas, the interviewer's laptop's Visual Studio license was either gone or VS just crashed instantly. Also the thing they told me to write before I came in couldn't launch because licensing and we didn't have time to get IIS(Express) or SqlServer running, so we just eyeballed the code in text editors.
:q:

They say treat it like whiteboarding so I just start stubbing out functions that would give me a list of lists by city and month, then I passed that to something that took the sub list and added everything up, got the count, divided by the count, boom, average high/low. But I kept hitting the touchpad with my palm and the cursor jumped all over the drat place. After I implement a few methods they're like "oh alright let's move on."

So we just sorta look at the project's code and go over a few decisions made, and at least we had an interesting discussion of if a sanity checking method of a class should be static or not, given that I don't need an instance of the class to know if it's a valid input given the logic of the class itself. I also found I had forgotten to call context.SaveChanges() in one of my methods before they did, hah.

Then I forget what CI means after they say "hey you've done plenty of CI" because I'm still frazzled from moving and dehydrated from altitude and we have a laugh and talk about Team City while I chug some ice water.

After that the actual director dude comes back and brags on how cool the office is, Wine Fridays, and the drone a product dude flies around, then tells me the office is mostly empty because half the company is in San Francisco.

All in all this could have been way worse, but given that everyone sorta rolled with the punches I suppose we indicated to each other we can handle poo poo and keep going.

Whee!

Edit: horror feedback!

"Groupby should have flown from his fingertips." They didn't say to just linq it up. They said whiteboard it so I made a method that GroupByShitForMe then they stopped me before implementation of it.

Then the recruiter calls back this morning: "So are you sure you're strong on C#?"

Should I tell them to gently caress off or do I have to explain that being strung out to begin with, still acclimating to living on the moon, sent to the wrong place, then sprung on with something despite bringing a project with me, then having their own environment they wanted me to use not work might have thrown me for a loop?

Then they say I should have used an enum for the grains or hops in my stupid beer app. Because I'm a developer, a brewer, and it's somehow obvious that I should just have a domain model for grains for a toy website.

poo poo like this makes me want to kick things.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 24, 2016

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I got another doozie.

Indeed will do recorded screenings where you answer poo poo like:

quote:

Please tell us a little bit about your background and experience.
Please tell us why you are interested in this position and how you can make a difference.
Please tell us about a past accomplishment that you are especially proud of and why.
Please describe a difficult situation you encountered in a previous job and how you resolved it.

TO A loving RECORDING SERVICE, then maybe you'll get a response back from a hiring manager.

For gently caress's sake, it's much harder than speaking to a person, I feel pretty insulted in more than one way, and I can't believe anyone would actually do this.

I wonder how many people pass on the job due to hiring practices like this.

I almost regret doing it.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
It's more the subtle bs that lurks under all interviews that I have a problem with.

You're always playing a rock paper scissors game of "what do they actually want?" while also trying to be honest, while also balancing how much you sell yourself because you're expected to oversell.

The add the odd numbers interview was fine in person, at least. When I'm in person, I almost always have a good experience. I don't think one bad interview when I'm exhausted and one screen with a robot is that big of a deal.

That said I'm probably the odd goon/developer here in that I like interacting with people instead of just running off to the cave to program.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Zaodai posted:

Making broad assumptions about your peers regarding how superior you are to them may mean you aren't as good with people as you think. You might be, I don't know you. All I'm saying is consider that other people might not see you the way you think they do.
I always assume I'm surrounded by people who are superior devs than I am, especially in interviews, since they're doing the interviewing.

I also assume I'm almost certainly mediocre, since that's almost always the case, for most people, and most things most people do.

Zaodai posted:

Having to play "the game" is the worst part of most corporate environments.
I just meant interviews.

I always do the naive/obvious thing first then make changes as I go, since skipping to something as good as I can do in an interview means I have no room to improve, and a lot of people apparently like seeing the progression.

In terms of being myself, I am; I've worked jobs with environments that did not click and learned that lesson the hard way.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

A friend of mine interviewed for a junior web development position. Somehow he ended up getting questions about using stochastic gradient descent in a distributed environment.

For Jane Street?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

sarehu posted:

A well-timed neg, bro, you signaled you aren't a cuck. (Am I doing this right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
You walked out right

• Locked thread