Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sex Bumbo posted:

Some people are really lovely at interviewing. The first several times I was probably more nervous than the person I was interviewing.

I still get a little nervous when I interview a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

(but my claim that there are ways to calculate fibonacci in linear time is not).

No, seriously, what do you do about the log factor with large integers.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Asking school-type questions is a reasonable way to interview for entry level positions, where candidates don't have a lot of experience to talk about. We've just never as an industry figured out how to interview more senior people appropriately.

I've seen too many senior people flub too many easy questions to think this any more.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

leper khan posted:

lol if you think Java is better than C++.
I wish Java had half the niceties of C++, also why am I writing Java I did not sign up for this.

I've been trying to learn myself a scala and have been repeatedly pleasantly surprised at how much useful stuff's floating around out there in the jvm ecosystem, and in particular how nice it is to have a maven for managing dependencies instead of the c++'s world "good luck" policy.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I vividly remember the problems I had just getting stuff to compile and link with shared libraries and so forth circa 2001 gcc 2

It hasn't gone away, we have to compile for a bunch of platforms (including android and windows) and it can be a real pain sometimes.

• Locked thread