Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lemme see if I can help the thread pull out of the stall:

I interviewed at a local startup that works out of a co-working space a few days a week and at home for the rest. Sounded great to me because I could take the train to work or have no commute. Spent about eight hours figuring out their cloud platform of choice and doing a basic "hey look I'm not a moron" app to get the interview at all. They sent me that assignment in the middle of a cross-country vacation that I told them about, so I was annoyed that I kinda had to scramble to meet the deadline a couple of days before the interview.

I was there 10 minutes early, just in case but ~four of the five people on the meeting invite weren't there at all, including the recruiter. That was awkward because I was just standing there wondering who actually worked for the company I was interviewing with until someone approached me and asked who I was looking for. They stuck me in a room with a guy who I assume was a junior dev who spent a few minutes pulling up my resume on his iPad and, when we somehow got to talking about a simple side-project I keep on my Github, mentioned that he was impressed I knew regex so well.

Eventually, the development lead came in and we had an actually decent chat about what I did and didn't like about their language of choice while the other guy sat there pawing at his iPad. That went pretty well until he mentioned that sometimes the CEO (who was just over there in that conference room talking on his phone, see?) is a real high-energy go-getter who will sometimes be so overwhelmed with what a great job you're doing that he'll call after midnight to tell you that. And that zany story about how they thought their UI lead had quit without notice because nobody heard from him for a couple of months but it turns out he was just rewriting some core system from scratch! How cool is that?

My sample app came up in that I showed how that it worked on my phone because I had kept a link to it just in case. Nobody had looked at the sample code I sent. The dev lead might have managed to open on his phone from the email I sent, but I could be misremembering that.

I heard back from them a year later when the recruiter sent me the exact same email as they used on first contact. Didn't reply that time, but maybe if they do it again this year I will and see if it jogs any memories.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Centripetal Horse posted:

That's a fair point, although I can't imagine going ten years of programming without having a need for, or at least a solid use case for, bitwise operations.

Hi, I'm a typical line of business application. I don't think we've met.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PT6A posted:

I was just writing a theme for WordPress for a client and I had to use bitmasks. I can see you not needing to use actual bit arithmetic, but knowing how to read and manipulate bits directly is still fairly necessary. To the point that you should be able to write a functional, if not optimal, bit counter in a language of your choice.

I guess I wasn't considering constant bitmasks because they do a decent job hiding the fact that you're fiddling bits under the hood, and I still don't because I don't think knowing that you have to or together FILE_READ and FILE_WRITE to read and write a file means you're actually familiar with bit twiddling chicanery like Xerophyte is talking about. You can copy open('file.txt', FILE_READ | FILE_WRITE) out of the help file without understanding what you're really doing there, basically.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

PT6A posted:

You don't need to write super-optimized code to make a bit counter, you just need to know how to use & to determine whether a specific bit is set. It's no more involved than using | to create a bitmask, though I suppose if you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, one is more confusing than the other.

People are getting carried away with cleverness and optimization in here, which is fine, but in an interview situation, you can just write a basic bit counter with for loops or something.

I agree with you, assuming the candidate even remembers the operators, which they might not, because if you're making LOB CRUD apps, hitting & just once is probably an accident and you've hopefully never really used shift operators on the job. I think that makes it a bad question for screening people for a job making LOB CRUD stacks, but that's just me.

• Locked thread