Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I've found that there is a counterpart of the nightmare candidate who won't say anything. It's the nightmare interviewer who keeps asking the same question, literally without modification, because you gave an answer that he didn't like and he's too inarticulate to drill down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
At the previous employer, the senior engineer on my team was a freemason and research physicist who looked like Nathan Myhrvold. Very professional and knowledgeable guy who I respected.

One day I overheard him doing a phone screen:
"Do you have any experience with C++?"
"Well, if you've used C++ the answer would be yes. If you have not used C++, the answer would be no."

That company's strategy for phone screens was possibly the only thing I saw them do well. The basic principle was, ask questions that anyone with the required skills could answer from memory. Nothing clever. Nothing that can be waved away with "I didn't deal with that aspect." You have years of J2EE experience and want to bring it here? Tell me what a servlet is. You just got a CS degree and want your first job? Tell me the differences between an array and a list. Anyone who fumbles these questions doesn't come on-site.

• Locked thread