Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But is your average C++ codebase "better" than your average Java codebase? How much C++ do you encounter in the wild that's modern C++11?
This is not a very fair question in many respects because the Java community of programmers is almost by market design more of a garbage fire than the C++ community (funny, this was inverted in 1997 given Java was the New Hotness). For every person writing crazy awesome stuff that happens to use Java just out of Big Company reasons you're going to have 100+ that are writing enterprise make-work gulag programs (I'm struggling with a programmer pun on "Arbeit macht frei").

fritz posted:

I've been trying to learn myself a scala and have been repeatedly pleasantly surprised at how much useful stuff's floating around out there in the jvm ecosystem, and in particular how nice it is to have a maven for managing dependencies instead of the c++'s world "good luck" policy.
Meanwhile, after spending years with the JVM I'm interested in Go and Rust primarily for their improved toolchains over C++. I'm also more interested in statically compiled binaries to the point of using other languages because so much work gets involved in effectively managing the rat nest of dependencies when you deploy at scale that I just don't care anymore and all I want is to drop a single, fat binary and just keep restarting it if it crashes. I vividly remember the problems I had just getting stuff to compile and link with shared libraries and so forth circa 2001 gcc 2, but now you can waste a lot of space on computers without being crucified in either code review or production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread