Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Blurb3947 posted:

Was offered 45k, countered with 53k + more PTO, they countered with the money but no extra PTO. Accepted.

Thanks thread for the help, it's not much but an extra 8k will be a huge help for my expenses.

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Blurb3947 posted:

Was offered 45k, countered with 53k + more PTO, they countered with the money but no extra PTO. Accepted.

Thanks thread for the help, it's not much but an extra 8k will be a huge help for my expenses.
An 18% bump, just for asking! Hell yes.

Negotiation thread stays winning.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Always
Be
Countering.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A lot of places have policies in place around PTO so getting the money is a big win, nicely done!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

A lot of places have policies in place around PTO so getting the money is a big win, nicely done!

Most places are inflexible on PTO, but it's still wise to ask for it. It gives them something to say no to, so they can say yes to giving you more money without feeling like they lost.

(As always I know you know this, just explaining it for the thread's benefit. Always ask for more than you're willing to accept!)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

8k more PER YEAR is a massive return for like...an hour of work negotiating tops?

Awesome job!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Here is my template for success:

"I would be happy to sign the offer letter for $X salary..."

That's literally all I said.

Never don't negotiate.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It might be easier to ask to come in at x years of experience vs more PTO. Most HRIS can adjust for that but doing an individual setting for PTO accrual on one employee can be a giant pain in the rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Blurb3947 posted:

Never don't negotiate.

My man

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blurb3947 posted:

Never don't negotiate.

:thurman:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Blurb3947 posted:

Hell yeah, you deserve every cent of that. The best part is that any raises you get will (most likely) serve to proportionally amplify the benefit you’ve earned here. So this is a win today and every time you get a raise at this company. Great job!!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blurb3947 posted:

New thread title

$650 per word is a pretty good ROI

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congrats, well done.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Company offered me a 9% raise for the year.

It was more than I expected, but I still declined it and asked for 16% because I've been working my rear end off after we lost a couple experienced team members. I felt bad doing it because I really dislike negotiating, I'm such a people pleaser, I actually like my manager, and it's so hard to follow through on something like this.

We agreed on 14%. Worth it.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Pander posted:

Company offered me a 9% raise for the year.

It was more than I expected, but I still declined it and asked for 16% because I've been working my rear end off after we lost a couple experienced team members. I felt bad doing it because I really dislike negotiating, I'm such a people pleaser, I actually like my manager, and it's so hard to follow through on something like this.

Goons stay so winning. 14% raise is great

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Pander posted:

:nice:

I had to plow through my annual self-review last night and I’m already expecting to get screwed (did last year despite working my butt off). I don’t think we’ve even seen in this thread people successfully negotiating annual raises, etc. so well done.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Sheesh, I didn’t even consider the possibility of negotiating at an annual review.

Though I did something similar at my current job in making amply clear that I would not continue in my role if they did not adjust my seniority to a level reflective of my responsibilities, so when my review this year did come around, that does explain why they took a defensive posture of “you already did pretty well this year, what more could you want” and offered a marginal raise that I was comfortable accepting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Sheesh, I didn’t even consider the possibility of negotiating at an annual review.

Merit time is usually not a great time. I'm sure there's lots of exceptions, but everywhere I've worked merit/review time is usually a pretty set amount and in fact the time of year where I have the LEAST amount of leverage to do something extraordinary.

You can negotiate around a promotion, but be aware your BATNA here is "I'll loving leave", which may or may not be a sturdy platform from which to negotiate from. I would say most of the time if someone were to try that I'd feel comfortable calling a bluff if I need to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The other thing to note is that your raise was already pre approved by the CFO and the whole merit package was signed off by the board last quarter. Your financial death warrant was already signed 90 days ago along with managements' annual bonus payouts for 2023. There's probably 5% slop built in to this, but unless you're in middle management, or you're the star engineer who built and maintains the golden goose magic widget, you're not getting a slice of that pie

If you want a bigger than normal raise you need to start raising the flag to your manager six months before, so he/she can let their manager know

Strong agree with BATNA lack of leverage points

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I applied for a job with a listed salary between X-Y dollars. This company has conditionally offered me the job with a salary of Z, which is within the originally posted range. While this salary is fine in a vacuum (and more than what I was looking for when I started the job search), said job is in a very high CoL area (DC/MD kill me) and squeezing a few more bucks out of this place can't hurt.

Now, the reason the offer is conditional is because its contingent on the company being awarded a government contract, which they won't know the result for a couple more months. And a security clearance, but that's a different issue. I would be a full employee of the contracting company (insurance, vacation, 401k, and such), but I would get paid out of the contract funds.

Blurb3947 posted:

Does this work for federal contractors? I never dealt with government stuff before, but I always figured government contracts were highly itemized. $X for Parts, $Y for Labor, etc. Asking can't hurt, but how much wiggle room is there?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm waiting on an offer to confirm that I've understood the total compensation correctly before even beginning to think about negotiating. Due to how fast this is after my last hop I'm literally just looking to not be worse off. All I want them to do is confirm that the number I think they've said is the number that will actually apply to me, or to give me a way to work that out on my own. Madness.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

can't hurt.

Now, the reason the offer is conditional is because its contingent on the company being awarded a government contract, which they won't know the result for a couple more months. And a security clearance, but that's a different issue. I would be a full employee of the contracting company (insurance, vacation, 401k, and such), but I would get paid out of the contract funds.

Does this work for federal contractors? I never dealt with government stuff before, but I always figured government contracts were highly itemized. $X for Parts, $Y for Labor, etc. Asking can't hurt, but how much wiggle room is there?

The security clearance is worth a lot especially if you plan on staying in the biz for a long time. You can take that and walk across the street to Lockheed or Boeing

That's hard to say, the contract quote to the government is estimated on salary + fixed costs + materials and other factors, plus an overhead of 20%. You might have less room to negotiate here because their backstop is "unless you can do twice the work of your peers we can't afford to not hire them, to give you more money". Doubly so because it sounds like a startup on a pretty narrow budget. Their staffing costs are probably modeled on middle of band.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This company isn't a startup, they been around since the 80s IIRC and have been working with this particular client for 20 years. In fact, when you go to their website, there is a news post saying "[company] has been awarded significant contract with [client]" and that's why during the interview process I assumed everything was good to go. It wasn't until the offer letter came in that these folks told me this particular role hasn't been officially signed off yet and need to wait a few more months.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

It's been a decade or so, but my recollection is most contracts are like 10-20% margin on salary.

There's definitely some room that they can move especially within their own pay bands, but probably not a ton.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This company isn't a startup, they been around since the 80s IIRC and have been working with this particular client for 20 years. In fact, when you go to their website, there is a news post saying "[company] has been awarded significant contract with [client]" and that's why during the interview process I assumed everything was good to go. It wasn't until the offer letter came in that these folks told me this particular role hasn't been officially signed off yet and need to wait a few more months.

We just got out from under a continuing resolution a few days ago and now have a real rear end budget. Under a CR you're not allowed to do any new contract starts, so even if the client had a budget and all the paperwork lined up and ready to go they couldn't send a RFP/RFQ out to be bid until the end of March, and there were six months of RFPs backed up since the beginning of FY24 (last October) waiting to go out. Your role is likely part of a proposal that they expect to create soon and they are looking to get staff lined up and on board so they can staff quickly once the contract is signed.

You may not have a ton of room to negotiate compensation; each person on the contract is priced at whatever rate the company puts in the proposal and if that proposal hasn't gone out the door yet then sure, they could change it to include more for you but if they were already planning to staff the contract with (let's say) two level 1 people, two level 2 people, and one level 3 person and you're being slotted in at level 2 but want more money, they'd have to displace the level 3 they already had in mind OR make it two level 1, one level 2, and two level 3. Or only charge the client for you a level 2 rate and make it up to you on the company side but that's not very common.

Edit to fix my example.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 9, 2024

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I spoke with a company today looking for a part-time UX Design contractor, and I've sent over an initial rate of $60/hour (number I reached after considering my previous salary and comparing to other contract rates on the market right now). I'm ready to accept $55/hour, but if they want to go lower, I'm torn on saying no. I know I should, but I both need the money and the portfolio boost. Also fighting the demon in my head that says I went too high with $60/hour, but I'm reminding myself that a reasonable company will come to the table with good faith. My worst case scenario right now is working for a gas station chain, which I'm not thrilled about (gently caress yeah retail/food service combo job), but money AND insurance would be very nice while I hunt for a permanent role.

Hopefully they respond by end of day, and I can move forward knowing I'm temporarily but gainfully employed!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thats an absurdly low contractor rate

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you working in the UK or eastern europe?

I guess if you already priced yourself at $60 that's now the negotiation ceiling. If they want to go lower just say "$60 is already a very fair price, I can't accept less than that." and leave it at that

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do you at least have a LLC set up?

Usually 1099 contractors do not get health insurance. So budget for that, and budget at least 16% for payroll tax obligations, plus income taxes on whatever you take home.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

Thats an absurdly low contractor rate

It's extremely on par with every contract rate I've seen for similar roles, experience, and expectations, but if there's a good resource for citing contract rates, I'm all for it. Considering this is a short contract, I can set up better rates in future negotiations.

Hadlock posted:

Are you working in the UK or eastern europe?

I guess if you already priced yourself at $60 that's now the negotiation ceiling. If they want to go lower just say "$60 is already a very fair price, I can't accept less than that." and leave it at that

I'm in the U.S. Valid point on any counter offer—I will do that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you at least have a LLC set up?

Usually 1099 contractors do not get health insurance. So budget for that, and budget at least 16% for payroll tax obligations, plus income taxes on whatever you take home.

Nah, I wouldn't expect insurance from a 1099 contract. I've budgeted through everything for now and I should be clear, even if the rate is considered low nationally. Cost of living here is, uh... rock bottom.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

broken pixel posted:

It's extremely on par with every contract rate I've seen for similar roles, experience, and expectations, but if there's a good resource for citing contract rates, I'm all for it. Considering this is a short contract, I can set up better rates in future negotiations.

I'm in the U.S. Valid point on any counter offer—I will do that.

Nah, I wouldn't expect insurance from a 1099 contract. I've budgeted through everything for now and I should be clear, even if the rate is considered low nationally. Cost of living here is, uh... rock bottom.

My COL isn't high and I was getting 25% more in 2020.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm waiting on an offer to confirm that I've understood the total compensation correctly before even beginning to think about negotiating. Due to how fast this is after my last hop I'm literally just looking to not be worse off. All I want them to do is confirm that the number I think they've said is the number that will actually apply to me, or to give me a way to work that out on my own. Madness.
This eventually got resolved. I've got myself a minor increase and a (potential) 10% yearly bonus just by doing some maths and asking if it was correct.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not a Children posted:

That's why it's important to get practice saying "no" or "send me the offer and I'll evaluate it as a whole" before it matters. It's not as easy as it sounds, especially with emotions running high. You'll still likely get a big ol' raise and that's a win so don't fret too much!

Sounds like you left enough wiggle room to work with. After they give you the full rundown on benefits you may be able to state your new target after evaluating the whole package. You probably won't be able to get to $200k doing that but you can definitely work out a bump without egg on your face.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

any company worth their salt will just be like no dude 150k take it or leave it and you're gonna take it so i am not sure it's worth the rigamarole other than if you want free negotiation practice and rejection practice, which is useful i guess

So I got the written offer and big surprise, it was just over $150k which is slightly below the mid for the role according to levels.fyi.

1) is it too much to counter with $170k, which seems closer to the middle of the pack but is substantially more than my initial ask?
2) The offer letter came with the HR admin, recruiter and engineering manager copied. Is it ok to reply all without appearing too pushy? I already had a team matching call with the EM and he shared with me that he was surprised his requisition got filled so quickly as he was down the priority list, so maybe he doesn't want to lose this opportunity?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mantle posted:

So I got the written offer and big surprise, it was just over $150k which is slightly below the mid for the role according to levels.fyi.

1) is it too much to counter with $170k, which seems closer to the middle of the pack but is substantially more than my initial ask?
2) The offer letter came with the HR admin, recruiter and engineering manager copied. Is it ok to reply all without appearing too pushy? I already had a team matching call with the EM and he shared with me that he was surprised his requisition got filled so quickly as he was down the priority list, so maybe he doesn't want to lose this opportunity?

Yeah, if I were the hiring manager I'd call the bluff but it's worth asking. Something along the lines of "Looking through the benefits I'd be willing to accept this offer immediately for $170k" won't get the offer pulled.

If they hold firm, 150 sounds like its still a good win so don't beat yourself up.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Lockback posted:

Yeah, if I were the hiring manager I'd call the bluff but it's worth asking. Something along the lines of "Looking through the benefits I'd be willing to accept this offer immediately for $170k" won't get the offer pulled.

If they hold firm, 150 sounds like its still a good win so don't beat yourself up.

It's not really a bluff. I have a competing offer for $125k with 4dww, 5% bonus + 3000 startup lottery tickets, but my preference is to take the 5dww offer because I think the team is better. I just want the money to be proportionate or better.

I suppose one of the problems is how do I convince the company I want that it is a real option?

E: I guess it still could be a bluff in that I'm leaning to taking the offer, whatever it ends up being. But it's not that I don't have a strong batna.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 12, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can straight up tell them you have another offer that includes equity and a 4dww that you're weighing but you'd take their offer today at 170k

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you can get a four day work week I don’t know that I would give that up for any amount of money once I’d cleared $100k.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Anonymous Robot posted:

If you can get a four day work week I don’t know that I would give that up for any amount of money once I’d cleared $100k.

Depends, 4 days less hours or 4 days same hours?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Depends, 4 days less hours or 4 days same hours?

4 10s is still a much better schedule than 5 8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anonymous Robot posted:

Conversely, I wouldn’t take 30k less for a day less a week.