Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

bro it's monday chill the gently caress out

I mean, yeah, I get that, but it's kind of nerve-wracking just having an offer on the table without any kind of response since Thursday. And the Monday work day is already nearing a close too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

I mean, yeah, I get that, but it's kind of nerve-wracking just having an offer on the table without any kind of response since Thursday. And the Monday work day is already nearing a close too...

You can complain come Friday, until then chill

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
finalizing some jabroni's offer would be pretty low on my priority list and would be the type of thing that i might have to circulate internally as well

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This thread needs to be stickied.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

finalizing some jabroni's offer would be pretty low on my priority list and would be the type of thing that i might have to circulate internally as well

Fair enough, but I mean, it's not like I'm looking for the job offer itself right now or today, but I just kind of figured some sort of "We will take this into consideration and get back to you soon" or a simple general acknowledgement of my email would be in order. As it stands now, for all I know my email got buried in a poo poo ton of others the dude received while he was out and now they're just sitting over there thinking "well, I guess he wasn't interested in the job. Onto the next candidate then!"

But also, I don't work in HR so I don't really know if this is just kind of normal or what. :shrug:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gin_Rummy posted:

Fair enough, but I mean, it's not like I'm looking for the job offer itself right now or today, but I just kind of figured some sort of "We will take this into consideration and get back to you soon" or a simple general acknowledgement of my email would be in order. As it stands now, for all I know my email got buried in a poo poo ton of others the dude received while he was out and now they're just sitting over there thinking "well, I guess he wasn't interested in the job. Onto the next candidate then!"

But also, I don't work in HR so I don't really know if this is just kind of normal or what. :shrug:
Pretty normal. If you have an open offer, they know it. It probably needs HR and executive approval, which could take a couple days depending on the company. If you still haven't heard anything by Wednesday morning, go ahead and ping your contact again.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Pretty normal. If you have an open offer, they know it. It probably needs HR and executive approval, which could take a couple days depending on the company. If you still haven't heard anything by Wednesday morning, go ahead and ping your contact again.

Seems reasonable. Thanks for the advice!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
It's entirely possible they're trying to meet your number but need to up the budget / consult with someone / otherwise cannot execute that decision entirely on their own but still want to make it happen.

This is one of those cases where it's quick to deliver a "no" but might take some time to try and wrangle together either a "yes" or a "no, but we can do x", which are both preferable outcomes to a flat out "no". It's frustrating that you have to wait, but it is probably a good sign.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

It's entirely possible they're trying to meet your number but need to up the budget / consult with someone / otherwise cannot execute that decision entirely on their own but still want to make it happen.

This is one of those cases where it's quick to deliver a "no" but might take some time to try and wrangle together either a "yes" or a "no, but we can do x", which are both preferable outcomes to a flat out "no". It's frustrating that you have to wait, but it is probably a good sign.

Well the reason I was so concerned was because no number has been thrown out by either party. All I have right now is a "hey, we are going to offer you! What's your asking price?" and then radio silence since I bounced the "say a number" ball right back at them.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 17, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well the reason I was so concerned was because no number has been thrown out by either party. All I have right now is a "hey, we are going to offer you! What's your asking price?" and then radio silence since I bounced the "say a number" ball right back at them.

A good practice is to fake it until you make it on not giving a poo poo whether they come back to you. Maybe they never will because they only want people who lowball themselves, who knows?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

baquerd posted:

A good practice is to fake it until you make it on not giving a poo poo whether they come back to you. Maybe they never will because they only want people who lowball themselves, who knows?

That is certainly a possibility, but I would hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to spend like $1500 on a person just to interview them and then say gently caress it when they don't get a lowball number.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Gin_Rummy posted:

That is certainly a possibility, but I would hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to spend like $1500 on a person just to interview them and then say gently caress it when they don't get a lowball number.

I don't want to add to what are clearly high stress levels for you, but just because somebody runs a business doesn't make them smart.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Given my experience over the last two days: never try to negotiate and internal offer or expect a lecture from your HR rep

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

TwoSheds posted:

I don't want to add to what are clearly high stress levels for you, but just because somebody runs a business doesn't make them smart.

Oh, for sure. I just assume all businesses are run by idiots, because for the most part they are. That was just the idealist in me speaking. I would HOPE they aren't that stupid, but they probably are.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Deadite posted:

Given my experience over the last two days: never try to negotiate and internal offer or expect a lecture from your HR rep

gently caress that, absolutely try to negotiate internal offers if it's a big promotion or significant change/increase in responsibilities.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Deadite posted:

I've posted this on every page of this thread so far, but....

If someone tries to punish you for negotiating, they are a shithead and you do not want anything to do with them. Reasonable people know that everything is negotiable. If they're firm and unwilling to negotiate, reasonable people won't try to punish you for attempting to negotiate. If you try to negotiate and get poo poo for it run, don't walk, away. You dodged a bullet.

If they're asking you to do more, they should pay you more. gently caress getting paid in promises.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Well what happened was I received two internal job offers, and then my current team realized I was serious about leaving and offered me heaven and earth to stay. Except according to HR policies the team I am on is not allowed to offer me anything after I've applied to another job, I'm just supposed to select one of the jobs I applied for.

Then me, my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss all got the same lecture about how this process works, because the company does not like it when teams compete against eachother for employees.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Deadite posted:

Well what happened was I received two internal job offers, and then my current team realized I was serious about leaving and offered me heaven and earth to stay. Except according to HR policies the team I am on is not allowed to offer me anything after I've applied to another job, I'm just supposed to select one of the jobs I applied for.

Then me, my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss all got the same lecture about how this process works, because the company does not like it when teams compete against eachother for employees.

That is such bullshit. They're making sure you get paid the absolute minimum amount of money possible as a reward for your loyalty rather than taking your skills to a competitor and telling the company to sit and spin.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The irony of course is that if I had gone to a competitor then the sky is the limit for negotiating. It is absolutely fine to compete against a competitor, even if that might result in the employee leaving for that competitor.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Deadite posted:

The irony of course is that if I had gone to a competitor then the sky is the limit for negotiating. It is absolutely fine to compete against a competitor, even if that might result in the employee leaving for that competitor.

It looks like you exactly understand what your company expects out of you, then.

edit: Also Dik Hz is right. If anyone ever tries to bring reprisal for attempting to negotiate cut them off. That's bridge burning material.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

If you still haven't heard anything by Wednesday morning, go ahead and ping your contact again.

So can anyone recommend the best way to approach this? Do I just make it brief with "just wanted to see where we were at kthxbai," or should I take a bit of time to show my understanding and mention that I know this process is generally slow, but at the same time I haven't heard a single word in a week? Would it be wise to add a bit of "get someone's eyes on this email" insurance by CCing the contact mentioned in their "if you need immediate assistance" out of office message, or would that be a bit too much?

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Some conversations in my company lead me to believe there is a strong possibility that I am getting hired for an internal administrative position in a different department. This position is entry level with the same title as my current role.

Career planning is really new to me, but I'm seriously considering accepting it if offered because I'm very bored in my current role and people tend to move up out of that other department. Another difference is that my current department focuses on maintenance and my new department actually brings in revenue, so maybe people in that department get paid a little better.

I also enjoy the people in the other department. There is a male co-worker in my current department who I no longer want to work with professionally--he's cussed me out twice this year, then felt awful when he realized the mistake was entirely on his end. He also has a weird habit of touching women after they've told him not to. I think he once incorrectly assumed that I reported him to HR (when really it could have been anyone who saw him touching a woman co-worker, who got cussed out by him, who heard his political opinions, etc) because he once hovered over my desk and said "You are not allowed to report me without talking to me" and walked off. Even though he's tried to touch me, I don't really trust corporate HR, so I've never reported him.

Again, career planning is really new to me, but how does salary negotiation go if you are changing jobs internally? If I receive the offer, do I have a case for requesting a 2% raise? We already received our annual cost-of-living increases at the beginning of the year.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

legsarerequired posted:

Some conversations in my company lead me to believe there is a strong possibility that I am getting hired for an internal administrative position in a different department. This position is entry level with the same title as my current role.

Career planning is really new to me, but I'm seriously considering accepting it if offered because I'm very bored in my current role and people tend to move up out of that other department. Another difference is that my current department focuses on maintenance and my new department actually brings in revenue, so maybe people in that department get paid a little better.

We have a Career Path Thread that you should post these questions in.

legsarerequired posted:

I also enjoy the people in the other department. There is a male co-worker in my current department who I no longer want to work with professionally--he's cussed me out twice this year, then felt awful when he realized the mistake was entirely on his end. He also has a weird habit of touching women after they've told him not to. I think he once incorrectly assumed that I reported him to HR (when really it could have been anyone who saw him touching a woman co-worker, who got cussed out by him, who heard his political opinions, etc) because he once hovered over my desk and said "You are not allowed to report me without talking to me" and walked off. Even though he's tried to touch me, I don't really trust corporate HR, so I've never reported him.
This is creepy and intimidating behavior that you do not have to put up with. Keep an incident log. If you don't trust your manager and you don't trust HR, you should seriously consider a new job at a new company. Culture matters. If you need this job, you may consider talking to an attorney. Not because you plan to sue, but because you need a gameplan and professional advice on how to handle this creep and your incompetent HR.

legsarerequired posted:

Again, career planning is really new to me, but how does salary negotiation go if you are changing jobs internally? If I receive the offer, do I have a case for requesting a 2% raise? We already received our annual cost-of-living increases at the beginning of the year.
You can and should negotiate every time you change jobs. Worse case is status quo. Best case is a big pile of money.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, but it seems right. My girlfriend and I both work in the same industry and are looking to relocate. We interviewed this week at competing companies in the city we would like to move to, and both got offers. Because it's a little of a niche industry and kind of a small world, so to speak, my potential employer knows my girlfriend interviewed at the other company. I actually interviewed at two locations owned by the same person; one is specialty and one is more generalized (and in another town ~20-30 mins away). I'm more interested in the specialty place, and today received an email back with an offer, with the caveat that the owner would prefer that I not work in the specialty office if my girlfriend is going to work for the competitor (conflict of interest?). I kind of get it, but it also kind of seems like bullshit to me. I am going to sleep on it before I respond, but as I've never been in this situation, I thought I'd get some more perspective. Thoughts?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Not Grover posted:

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to ask, but it seems right. My girlfriend and I both work in the same industry and are looking to relocate. We interviewed this week at competing companies in the city we would like to move to, and both got offers. Because it's a little of a niche industry and kind of a small world, so to speak, my potential employer knows my girlfriend interviewed at the other company. I actually interviewed at two locations owned by the same person; one is specialty and one is more generalized (and in another town ~20-30 mins away). I'm more interested in the specialty place, and today received an email back with an offer, with the caveat that the owner would prefer that I not work in the specialty office if my girlfriend is going to work for the competitor (conflict of interest?). I kind of get it, but it also kind of seems like bullshit to me. I am going to sleep on it before I respond, but as I've never been in this situation, I thought I'd get some more perspective. Thoughts?

I'm certainly no expert, but that seems like a load of poo poo to me too. Is there any chance you could counter that by committing to an NDA? Maybe that would be a compromise they'd be willing to give?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've never remotely been in the situation but that seems like bullshit to me. I'm not sure how to gauge how serious he is - would an email assurance of professionalism serve for now which you can follow through with?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Not Grover posted:

I don't think girlfriend/fiance/wife working at a competitor is a protected class. And honestly, as the employer, I'd be wary here too. Not sure what to do about it, though.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Not Grover posted:

In my humble internet opinion, everyone is acting like adults in this scenario. The company expressed reservations but still offered you the job, so it sounds like they're relatively open and handle conflict well, which is noteworthy. They could have simply not hired you.

Your girlfriend is in the same position; how did her company handle it?

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
I sent an email back to try to address those concerns and they agreed that it would be unfair to exclude me based on where someone else was interviewing, so it's "tabled for now". That said, I don't know what will happen going forward because I think she plans on taking the job at the competitor. The industry is vet medicine (which is all privately owned and small business driven in my state - legally corporations can't own clinics here) and I am a vet nurse, so it's not like I am a doctor or in some kind of position to plunder their trade secrets or IP or anything. My girlfriend's place made her an offer without any stated caveats or concerns (and actually told her to have me pass my resume their way if I was interested in their clinic).

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So it has now been a full week since I was given the promise of an offer and I didn't get a reply to my email used to attempt to initiate salary negotiations nor my "hey, you never replied, is this even still a thing?" email. Should I just assume they didn't want to negotiate at all, or is this still a normal thing for HR departments? :raise:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

So it has now been a full week since I was given the promise of an offer and I didn't get a reply to my email used to attempt to initiate salary negotiations nor my "hey, you never replied, is this even still a thing?" email. Should I just assume they didn't want to negotiate at all, or is this still a normal thing for HR departments? :raise:

Have you tried calling the HR contact?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

TwoSheds posted:

Have you tried calling the HR contact?

I actually didn't think I had the dude's phone number, but it looks like I still do so I suppose I'll give it a shot.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Gin_Rummy posted:

After a week I definitely would not consider it obnoxious to call for a follow up, especially if that's where they left the conversation.

It's unfortunately probably not a good sign, but you never know. Sometimes people get busy or distracted, or are just disorganized.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Guinness posted:

After a week I definitely would not consider it obnoxious to call for a follow up, especially if that's where they left the conversation.

It's unfortunately probably not a good sign, but you never know. Sometimes people get busy or distracted, or are just disorganized.

I dunno what the story is with this dude, but my call was not answered and the voice-mail box was full. :sigh:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You interviewed at a front for a meth operation.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

You interviewed at a front for a meth operation.

I wish. At least in that situation I would've known from the vibe on-site that things would be sketch as hell. This is actually a major, multinational company.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Gin_Rummy posted:

I wish. At least in that situation I would've known from the vibe on-site that things would be sketch as hell. This is actually a major, multinational company.

What about trying the hiring manager and just going around HR? The manager is going to ultimately have more say in what actually happens anyways. HR is mostly there to aid in the process.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What about trying the hiring manager and just going around HR? The manager is going to ultimately have more say in what actually happens anyways. HR is mostly there to aid in the process.

This would have been my next step, but I interviewed with like four different potential hiring managers of varying departments. My "we are gonna offer you" email was so vague that they didn't really specify who or what department I was really being offered by.

EDIT: Basically my only point of contact is this crappy HR rep, unless I get desperate enough to try the dude mentioned in the original "out of office" reply, or possibly one of the recruiters that helped set up the interviews. Though, I'm not sure they'd even be much help if I tried them. Worst negotiation ever.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 20, 2016

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gin_Rummy posted:

This would have been my next step, but I interviewed with like four different potential hiring managers of varying departments. My "we are gonna offer you" email was so vague that they didn't really specify who or what department I was really being offered by.

EDIT: Basically my only point of contact is this crappy HR rep, unless I get desperate enough to try the dude mentioned in the original "out of office" reply, or possibly one of the recruiters that helped set up the interviews. Though, I'm not sure they'd even be much help if I tried them. Worst negotiation ever.
Call the recruiter. They have an interest in placing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
What's the best publicly available general resource for determining market value for job and experience (I understand multiple things play into this like location, specific marketplace, specific type of job)? I've checked out glassdoor, payscale and the bureau of labor and statistics. Only BLS seems to be worth a drat, but it's only good for entry-level and mean/median wages as far as I can tell.

I work in engineering, and I know what the municipal/County side pays based on experience since it's public record. Is there a good multiplier that I could use to determine the private consulting side for the same work?

Short end is, I know my job experience/skills exceeds that for someone with my X amount years in the industry. I'm looking to leverage that in the second half of this year.