Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nthing the "I have personally had conversations about money with my employer and had it work out fine, and I've had people who have came to me about their pay and had it work out fine." If you think you are a good performer and have some trust in your boss I think its in your best interest.

1. Don't compare yourself to other people or new hires, it's a losing game and becomes a personal thing. Comparing yourself to the pay band or to how you've picked up more responsibility is a much better idea.

2. Don't get emotional on it, even if your boss does. We tie pay to our worth as a person and it can make us act emotionally, that won't help.

3. Understand that these things frequently take time, managers rarely have the power to just unilaterally change salary. Out of cycle adjustments are not uncommon but usually require signoff from executives and HR.

but

4. If you get pushback beyond feeling out or significant delay tactics recognize those as your answer. The best course there is politely agree and thank your manager for the consideration and then go looking for something else or putting a plan together for jumping in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
I work in public accounting as a manager at one of the very large firms. I had a loving miserable busy season compounded with some personal tragedy, and I was passed up for promotion to a Senior Manager role this year while a low-performer with tenure was promoted. These two factors made me decide to leave, so I updated my resume and started talking to recruiters.

I was recruited by Company A for a specialized technology role that would be of great benefit in terms stress/working hours since it's going to be an exit from being the clients' punching bag. The compensation is a 25% increase of my current salary plus a signing bonus. I'm also more excited about the work itself than my current role. The offer exceeded the threshold that I set for myself to leave, so I accepted, signed the offer, and let my boss know that I am gone after Christmas.

He immediately freaked out at the prospect of me leaving, as it would have a very strong negative impact on his clients and staffing. He asked if they could match the offer would I consider staying, to which I replied I would not. He is still intending on putting together a counter-offer to try to retain me, but it kind of feels too-little-too-late at this point. I feel a bit cynical that my contributions were taken for granted until I expressed that I am smart/disloyal enough to jump ship and get paid more. The "you could make partner here" carrot was dangled, but that doesn't really appeal to me. My concern is also that the immediate pay bump to retain me would basically be cannibalizing my future raises until I am in-line with my cohort again.

If the counter-offer is in the realm of absurdity I would be foolish not to ask Company A to try to close the gap right? My intent was not to start a bidding war, but it seems dumb to waste an opportunity and the worst Company A could say is no.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

You already accepted their offer. The time to have negotiated that would have been when you were still negotiating. Just accept what you've secured and be happy with it because you've already summed up their response perfectly:

Stoop Kid posted:

too-little-too-late at this point

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do not stay at your firm, take the job you know is better. You could make partner (or at least ED) by rejoining one of these firms in 5 years. Don’t buy into that.

If you’ve already accepted the job at company A, going back to ask for more is a dicey move. Not impossible but maybe not advisable. If you’re happy with the comp, just thank your current place, don’t entertain a counter, and move on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

PIZZA.BAT posted:

You already accepted their offer. The time to have negotiated that would have been when you were still negotiating. Just accept what you've secured and be happy with it because you've already summed up their response perfectly:

Yes, this. There is nothing more to discuss. Your about-to-be-former employer had their chance, they persisted in undervaluing you, what happens after you're gone is their problem.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

For what it's worth- after a month of back and forth with my next employer we finally settled on a starting date and I put in my resignation notice at my current place. Both my boss and boss's boss called me and asked if I'd consider a counter. Even in this circumstance, where I know they had their hands tied and couldn't give me a raise over the past year due to upper management being in talks with being acquired by private capital, I'm not entertaining it.

In the most charitable interpretation they're telling you that you won't be able to get anything moving forwards without outright threatening them / brinkmanship. That isn't a healthy business relationship. You may get what you want in the short term but the problems will still persist and you'll be in the same situation in a few years.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Stoop Kid posted:

I work in public accounting as a manager at one of the very large firms. I had a loving miserable busy season compounded with some personal tragedy, and I was passed up for promotion to a Senior Manager role this year while a low-performer with tenure was promoted. These two factors made me decide to leave, so I updated my resume and started talking to recruiters.

I was recruited by Company A for a specialized technology role that would be of great benefit in terms stress/working hours since it's going to be an exit from being the clients' punching bag. The compensation is a 25% increase of my current salary plus a signing bonus. I'm also more excited about the work itself than my current role. The offer exceeded the threshold that I set for myself to leave, so I accepted, signed the offer, and let my boss know that I am gone after Christmas.

He immediately freaked out at the prospect of me leaving, as it would have a very strong negative impact on his clients and staffing. He asked if they could match the offer would I consider staying, to which I replied I would not. He is still intending on putting together a counter-offer to try to retain me, but it kind of feels too-little-too-late at this point. I feel a bit cynical that my contributions were taken for granted until I expressed that I am smart/disloyal enough to jump ship and get paid more. The "you could make partner here" carrot was dangled, but that doesn't really appeal to me. My concern is also that the immediate pay bump to retain me would basically be cannibalizing my future raises until I am in-line with my cohort again.

If the counter-offer is in the realm of absurdity I would be foolish not to ask Company A to try to close the gap right? My intent was not to start a bidding war, but it seems dumb to waste an opportunity and the worst Company A could say is no.

Do not accept. I’ve seen staff/seniors accept counter offers that came with an immediate promotion to senior/manager and that’s worked out okay, but even if they promoted you to Senior Manager you’d be capped out at that level. If you could make Partner they would have promoted you already.

The clients and firm will be fine. The prior year workpapers should have everything they need :v:

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
Thanks for all the advice goons - I plan to politely decline my firm's counter and enjoy the funemployment between jobs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is something of a related topic: I read online that you should politely decline any requests for exit interviews, since it really only benefits the company and could backfire on your future references depending on what is said. What is the gooncensus on this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it kind of depends - if you are leaving on good terms i think it's fine because it does in fact help your previous employer

most references now from the company just confirm employment anyway

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

From the HR side it would be really lovely and counter productive to sandbag someone for giving an honest exit interview. Their whole point is to gather data about why people are leaving and use that as evidence for change to keep it from happening further. In addition, you generally want to keep good relations with employees for the opportunity to being them back up skilled further down the line. That being said, there's a lot of lovely or spineless HR folks who will crumple at the first sign of a demand from another manager to see the results, so I would say it depends on your relationships with people there and how you think they will react to honest criticism. It is true that it only really benefits the company though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Several of my former employers use a third party service to confirm employment even. Unless you’re putting a boss you hated as a reference or you were encouraged to quit before you got fired I wouldn’t even worry about it coming back to bite you.

At my last job enough people put in very similar comments at their exit interviews that it led to a particularly bad director getting shifted in to the broom closet to oversee meaningless work, so sometimes the company really does pay attention. If you value your coworkers that you are leaving at the company (which I find is almost always the case), a good exit interview could help them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

My last exit interview was done by the HR Director. He tried to threaten me to sign a non compete for the roughly 250 companies they do busines with.

I told him the non compete in my employment contract was the one that I signed and that stated only the customer I worked for and/or interacted with on behalf of employer were subject to the non compete. He asked me to sign the exit interview papers (which included the new non compete) which I refused.

This was at the very end of the exit interview which was a completely normal discussion. I told him the reasons which made me leave and he acknowledged some of the issues and explained how they are working on resolving the others. The ending caught me completely by surprise.

My team lead at that company and I go way back so when he was briefed about the outcome of my exit interview gave me a call. HR Director had completely lied about everything I said to the rest of the management team (including team lead). Apparently he took my reasons personal as most of my reasons came from the merger he was responsible for so he made up a lot of BS. Team lead knew that and gave me the heads up on what was relayed to the company. He also mentioned that HR Director tried to bully everyone who left into signing that non compete and that he knows of several people who signed it and then got sued for breaking it. Incredibly lovely thing to do and I’m glad I was aware of the poo poo he was trying to pull there.

I certainly am not doing exit interviews anymore and that team lead is the only reference I’ll ever list for that role.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Just do the exit interview and give meaningless generic answers to the questions. Anyone who matters should already know why you're leaving or it's not going to get fixed anyway. If they're going to lie about it then they'll probably do it even if you decline the interview.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
When I lived in Michigan the company I worked for tried to get me to sign a non-compete that was incredibly vague and would have barred me from working with any company that dealt with the same technology I was working with at the time. That would have basically barred me from any embedded Linux projects for 2 years after I left.

I refused to sign the stupid thing until they amended the non-compete to be way more specific. Then 3 months later I left and never looked back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

practically speaking for most industries non competes are incredibly difficult to enforce in most jurisdictions and you'll really only get nailed for them if you're like, in sales and bringing your book of business along.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

practically speaking for most industries non competes are incredibly difficult to enforce in most jurisdictions and you'll really only get nailed for them if you're like, in sales and bringing your book of business along.

The problem is, I absolutely would have gone to their competitors for more money. :v:

I’m a business man, I happen to be in the business of “what benefits me.”

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What about tech?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Quackles posted:

What about tech?

The same is generally true unless you're a founder/owner or you're getting paid after you've left and it's active.

The problem with non-competes tends to be the threat they represent and not if they're actually enforceable. Your new company is probably not willing to go to bat for you if the old company tries to enforce it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

This can vary from country to country though. Where I live there's plenty of court cases where non competes held up in court for IC's.

They had to be reasonable though, which more or less means it's only valid for companies you directly interacted with and/or direct competitors in a limited distance of your currenct company (usually for brick & mortar stores). Still the thought of a lawsuit against you is a lot more threatening for an individual who's not familiar with non competes, which is probably what companies aim for anyway. Most of them know they won't win in court and won't let it come to that when push comes to shove. If only 1 in 10 does adhere to it, it's still an easy win for them.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gigi Galli posted:

Several of my former employers use a third party service to confirm employment even. Unless you’re putting a boss you hated as a reference or you were encouraged to quit before you got fired I wouldn’t even worry about it coming back to bite you.

At my last job enough people put in very similar comments at their exit interviews that it led to a particularly bad director getting shifted in to the broom closet to oversee meaningless work, so sometimes the company really does pay attention. If you value your coworkers that you are leaving at the company (which I find is almost always the case), a good exit interview could help them.
You do realize that if it takes multiple people leaving to get the director sidelined, that's a sign of dysfunction. In order for an exit interview to have value, upper management/HR would have to ignore workers until they resign and only then listen. That's more than a little hosed up if you think about it too long.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Dik Hz posted:

You do realize that if it takes multiple people leaving to get the director sidelined, that's a sign of dysfunction. In order for an exit interview to have value, upper management/HR would have to ignore workers until they resign and only then listen. That's more than a little hosed up if you think about it too long.

Well yes, I was one of the people that gave an exit interview that led to it - I left because of the dysfunction! I probably should’ve said that.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Worked at a place that would put you on the 'do not rehire' list if you opted out of the exit interview. Was a dysfunctional company, so take that for what it's worth.

I guess I don't understand why it's not a good idea to just go in and say 'everything was fine' on your way out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because you’ll be Ineligible For Rehired anyway when you refuse to sign the noncompete.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

81sidewinder posted:

I guess I don't understand why it's not a good idea to just go in and say 'everything was fine' on your way out.
By all means. That's fine if you can pull it off. But there's no upside in doing so. Someone who penalizes you for not doing an exit interview is an rear end in a top hat.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Had an offer a few years ago with a non-compete clause that applied to "companies in the same industry within 75 miles of the region in which we operate"

Tried to get the hiring manager to strike it and he told me "well the lawyers say we gotta put it in there" and I kind of absentmindedly blurted out "well, who's in charge, you or the lawyers?", he laughed and changed the subject

They didn't pull the offer but I don't think that won me any points. They wouldn't change it. Didn't end up taking the offer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That would be a good example of an unenforceable noncompete. But gently caress 'em anyway.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's probably enforceable if it's paid but depends on the state and, well, them actually bothering.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I've always wondered what's stopping people from not sharing their next employer with their current one? Doesn't work if you're in sales and poaching clients, but for the average corporate drone in a major city who's going to know?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've always wondered what's stopping people from not sharing their next employer with their current one? Doesn't work if you're in sales and poaching clients, but for the average corporate drone in a major city who's going to know?

Idk if I've ever told an old job what my new job is. I don't think I've ever been asked "officially" either.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Xguard86 posted:

Idk if I've ever told an old job what my new job is. I don't think I've ever been asked "officially" either.

I did earlier this week when I gave my manager my resignation notice. She asked if I minded telling her about my new job, and because she's not an arsehole and understood the reasons why I'm leaving, I did. She congratulated me and wished me well in my new role :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I always ask if people leave because they have a new job lined up because a) I am genuinely curious and b) I am happy for them and want to stay in touch. But this is consulting, exit plans are normal. Plus, if they don't want to share, that's fine. If you leave without a job lined up you've probably been fired or been told you will be fired and are therefore probably someone I don't like or am uninterested in professionally.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Plenty of folks. At my last job, the non-compete ran two years and they were somewhat aggressive about enforcement. (only had to sign it at the director level or above) - if you updated your LinkedIn, or they knew folks where you were going, they would find out and try to enforce it. Some people tried to stealthily get around it and largely failed / were caught. Most of these were ultimately resolved, and they generally worked with folks who were open about it - eg it might be ok to go to a competitor, but they would ask you (and your boss at the new job) to agree you couldn't work on accounts you had worked on for them.

The general consensus from lawyers I spoke to about it was that DC caselaw wasn't established enough on noncompetes to know how enforcement would shake out. In VA/MD it would be unenforceable.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Zauper posted:

Plenty of folks. At my last job, the non-compete ran two years and they were somewhat aggressive about enforcement. (only had to sign it at the director level or above) - if you updated your LinkedIn, or they knew folks where you were going, they would find out and try to enforce it. Some people tried to stealthily get around it and largely failed / were caught. Most of these were ultimately resolved, and they generally worked with folks who were open about it - eg it might be ok to go to a competitor, but they would ask you (and your boss at the new job) to agree you couldn't work on accounts you had worked on for them.

The general consensus from lawyers I spoke to about it was that DC caselaw wasn't established enough on noncompetes to know how enforcement would shake out. In VA/MD it would be unenforceable.

Director level is definitely going to be harder. I was thinking more of the bullshit non-competes some places try to get all employees to sign that are incredibly broad (IE, Not A Children's from earlier this page: "companies in the same industry within 75 miles of the region in which we operate") and are mostly used to try to scare employees into staying rather than actually preventing competition. You're definitely going to want to avoid updating your LinkedIn, but after 3-6 months I suspect that the management level who would care about enforcing a non-compete will have forgotten a previous employee existed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stoop Kid posted:

As a lawgoon with an accounting fiancee, congrats on hitting a home run and getting out of the toxic rat race.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you leave without a job lined up you've probably been fired or been told you will be fired and are therefore probably someone I don't like or am uninterested in professionally.

Are you seriously saying that you are not interested in anyone that got fired unexpectantly? :eyepop:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Are you seriously saying that you are not interested in anyone that got fired unexpectantly? :eyepop:

This is discussion about people leaving a specific job, not the general population. I have no issue with people in general who got fired unexpectedly, but If you get fired from my firm it's for a consistent, documented track record of poor performance, full stop, and therefore I only care about where you end up in the specific context of "let me make it so I never have to interact with you again"

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is discussion about people leaving a specific job, not the general population. I have no issue with people in general who got fired unexpectedly, but If you get fired from my firm it's for a consistent, documented track record of poor performance, full stop, and therefore I only care about where you end up in the specific context of "let me make it so I never have to interact with you again"

I didn't read that you only meant at your current employer, but that can make sense. As a blanket statement it'd be pretty weird as I've seen bad managers fire a plenty of decent people for BS or no reasons at all.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is closing in on peak BFC :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

This is closing in on peak BFC :goonsay:

why