Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fourwood posted:

get that bread

Hell yeah come join us in line for :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hi thread.

The wife has currently been offered a position at her old job, basically the same she was doing, but with a promotion. She left around 18 months ago.

At her previous tenure, she accumulated around 8% raise over 3+ years of service.

When they asked for her salary expectations, she gave an ambitious but realistic number, which they accepted.

New salary: 45% higher than her last paycheck at the place.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

bolind posted:

Hi thread.

The wife has currently been offered a position at her old job, basically the same she was doing, but with a promotion. She left around 18 months ago.

At her previous tenure, she accumulated around 8% raise over 3+ years of service.

When they asked for her salary expectations, she gave an ambitious but realistic number, which they accepted.

:toot:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bolind posted:

Hi thread.

Congrats to her! Put it in the win column. But that's a sure sign she could have asked for more. If your old job tries to hire you back, the best number is the highest one you can say with a straight face.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

Congrats to her! Put it in the win column. But that's a sure sign she could have asked for more. If your old job tries to hire you back, the best number is the highest one you can say with a straight face.

That's the eternal question. If you get what you asked for, did you squeeze them for their last penny or was there still room for more.

We'll never know, but I'm a fan of a couple of philosophies:

- No one ever went broke taking profits.
- Know when you've won.
- This is a datapoint that can be used in future negotiations.

In this particular case, we took her current base + best-case bonus, which has been very shaky in 2020, Added 5%, rounded up and went for it. New position doesn't have bonus, so it's guaranteed salary.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bolind posted:

That's the eternal question. If you get what you asked for, did you squeeze them for their last penny or was there still room for more.

We'll never know, but I'm a fan of a couple of philosophies:

- No one ever went broke taking profits.
- Know when you've won.
- This is a datapoint that can be used in future negotiations.

In this particular case, we took her current base + best-case bonus, which has been very shaky in 2020, Added 5%, rounded up and went for it. New position doesn't have bonus, so it's guaranteed salary.
Well, my thought process is that saying a gently caress-off number first is part of how the game is played. Both sides know this. If the other side punishes you for playing the game, they're assholes who you probably don't want to work for. I've banged this gong for years in this thread. But, if someone punishes you for trying to negotiate, they're a poo poo employer and will be even worse when you actually work for them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think I’ve told this story before, but once, in an interview, I was asked for my salary expectations.

I said a number, to which the interviewing manager blurted out:

“That’s a lot! How does that compare to what you’re making now?”

Let’s just say that any and all desire to work for him vanished in the following seconds.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Dik Hz posted:

Well, my thought process is that saying a gently caress-off number first is part of how the game is played. Both sides know this. If the other side punishes you for playing the game, they're assholes who you probably don't want to work for. I've banged this gong for years in this thread. But, if someone punishes you for trying to negotiate, they're a poo poo employer and will be even worse when you actually work for them.

can you give some examples of what punishment for negotiating can look like? i'm pretty new to negotiating salary and want to know what to look out for.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Pulling an offer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

durrneez posted:

can you give some examples of what punishment for negotiating can look like? i'm pretty new to negotiating salary and want to know what to look out for.
Threatening to pull an offer. Artificial time pressure. Talking down to someone for attempting to negotiate. A shift in mood during the interview from collaborative to adversarial when salary is brought up. Praising people who took the offer/bad-mouthing people who negotiate. Gossiping behind people's backs about negotiating/not being grateful.

I want to impress this point: Decent managers want to pay competitive market rates because it's really hard to retain talented people if you don't. Determining salary should be at least partially collaborative because employees want money and managers want to keep them when they stick around long enough to be productive.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

I want to impress this point: Decent managers want to pay competitive market rates because it's really hard to retain talented people if you don't. Determining salary should be at least partially collaborative because employees want money and managers want to keep them when they stick around long enough to be productive.

This is very true. We pay a bit to a lot under market and I have no wiggle room (pay bands and such). So I have to sell hard on the PTO and other benefits (which really are very good and worth a lot), especially the 40 hour work week.

Doesn't always work though as money is money. I have not been able to come to terms with a number of folks that I would have loved to hire. Sucks but oh well.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

Also, in the long run, it’s in everybody’s interest that salaries are fair. Managers (should) want motivated, happy employees and employees want to be able to argue that they provide value to the company in the event of financial dire straits.

Being way overcompensated is great but unsustainable, just like the other way around is, seen from the company’s point of view.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

spwrozek posted:

This is very true. We pay a bit to a lot under market and I have no wiggle room (pay bands and such). So I have to sell hard on the PTO and other benefits (which really are very good and worth a lot), especially the 40 hour work week.

Doesn't always work though as money is money. I have not been able to come to terms with a number of folks that I would have loved to hire. Sucks but oh well.

A 40 hour work week is considered a benefit?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

evobatman posted:

:capitalism:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

evobatman posted:

The people who turn me down usually make $15-25K more at a consulting firms. Usually the expectations is 45 hours billable which usually translates to 50-55 hours of work. So as a selling point for less money it is one of the cards I have to play.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Just put in my notice. 60% salary increase, better time off, plus going from 3% matching on 6% contribution to retirement to 7% matching on 7% contribution, and when I told them I was leaving, even after I told them my new salary, my boss suggested they wanted to counter. Get loving paid. You're probably worth more than you think you are (I was hoping for a 35% increase while I was searching before I got my offers). Listen to the thread. :yotj:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanatosian posted:

Just put in my notice. 60% salary increase, better time off, plus going from 3% matching on 6% contribution to retirement to 7% matching on 7% contribution, and when I told them I was leaving, even after I told them my new salary, my boss suggested they wanted to counter. Get loving paid. You're probably worth more than you think you are (I was hoping for a 35% increase while I was searching before I got my offers). Listen to the thread. :yotj:

Congrats and thanks for coming back to the thread to share your success. Are you going to consider a counter depending on the f-you number?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

congrats on all the recent figgies in this thread, warms my heart

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Congrats and thanks for coming back to the thread to share your success. Are you going to consider a counter depending on the f-you number?
New job is $96k, I told them $115k to counter, and they're already spinning up my replacement (who is my protégé, who I recommended they tap, and who I am telling to play hardball on the negotiations). Honestly, even if they had met the $115k, I would have asked for a guaranteed severance as well (which needs signoff from the CEO), because I wouldn't have trusted them being willing to give me a 90% raise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Thanatosian posted:

hell yeah

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thanatosian posted:

Had The Talk today with the HR person for the local government office for my hopefully upcoming job switch. It's a union job, pay bands go from $75,000-$95,000, I went ahead and asked for the 8th of ten steps at $91,000. I'm hoping they come back with $80-$85,000, but honestly I would totally take the $75,000 (it's a 25% pay increase with better benefits).

Thank you thread for making me brave.

Thanatosian posted:

New job is $96k, I told them $115k to counter, and they're already spinning up my replacement (who is my protégé, who I recommended they tap, and who I am telling to play hardball on the negotiations). Honestly, even if they had met the $115k, I would have asked for a guaranteed severance as well (which needs signoff from the CEO), because I wouldn't have trusted them being willing to give me a 90% raise.

Is this the same job and they offered you more than you asked for? Either way :yotj:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is this the same job and they offered you more than you asked for? Either way :yotj:
I had another offer, but the initial offer was $95k, and the actual offer is technically $8000 a month, and they do everything by month, so it got rounded to an even number. No complaints from me. :lol:

That job actually fell through; it was going to be a "temporary" 36-month position at a government office that makes internal-only job postings all the time that I'm qualified for, but the funding didn't come through, and the term got reduced to 6-12 months. I wasn't worried at three years, but at 6-12 months I was.

Which is why you don't put in your notice until you have the official offer, and don't withdraw from consideration of other jobs.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 23, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Dik Hz posted:

Threatening to pull an offer. Artificial time pressure. Talking down to someone for attempting to negotiate. A shift in mood during the interview from collaborative to adversarial when salary is brought up. Praising people who took the offer/bad-mouthing people who negotiate. Gossiping behind people's backs about negotiating/not being grateful.

A couple jobs back I had a sales director colleague who used to bitch to me about incoming candidates wanting various things - high salaries, benefits, flexible working and so on. It always dumbfounded me. What the gently caress were they supposed to want?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Beefeater1980 posted:

A couple jobs back I had a sales director colleague who used to bitch to me about incoming candidates wanting various things - high salaries, benefits, flexible working and so on. It always dumbfounded me. What the gently caress were they supposed to want?

Want? They are not supposed to want. They're are supposed to be GRATEFUL that the JOB CREATORS are generously supplying them with the opportunity to spend the majority of their waking lives away from their home and family!

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
An HR/recruiter person asked me how my other interviews were going, and then clarified by asking "How are you feeling about [our company] vs your other prospects?"

I get the sense this is probably just fishing to see how hungry I am to low ball me in negotiations.
Other than replying with something like "you guys are cool because xyz, but I know my skills are valuable" - is there something else going on here that I should anticipate? :crossarms:

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Computer Serf posted:

is there something else going on here that I should anticipate?

I mean, it's always about gaining leverage, so yea low balling is part of it, but it's probably also about timelines. Recruiters, even internal ones, typically want to close job openings as fast as possible. They don't really care if you get a high/low offer, it's just that if they don't have to haggle with HR/management over your compensation, they can move on to the next one faster.

So yeah, stay aloof, but positive. You should always show excitement for their company/offer. It doesn't mean you'll accept a low ball.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

sim posted:

I mean, it's always about gaining leverage, so yea low balling is part of it, but it's probably also about timelines. Recruiters, even internal ones, typically want to close job openings as fast as possible. They don't really care if you get a high/low offer, it's just that if they don't have to haggle with HR/management over your compensation, they can move on to the next one faster.

So yeah, stay aloof, but positive. You should always show excitement for their company/offer. It doesn't mean you'll accept a low ball.

:haibrow: thanks sim

HR mindfuck games are really some sociopathic poo poo

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My wife's bosses are talking with her about a promotion. It's something she'd definitely be OK doing. A call is scheduled to discuss the particulars. Compensation changes haven't been mentioned specifically, but she did say that they "weren't going to ask her take on more responsibilities without the right compensation."

She was a bit underpaid with her skill set, but she likes the workplace and people. Also, she has a medical condition and can't really drive out of town or do long/chaotic train commutes. Pre-rona, the office was a 10 minute in-town commute. As of now, they are remote through at least July, and nobody knows whether it'll return to butts-in-seats. Previously they were pretty lousy with letting people work remote.

What should we do for negotiating the compensation change? Her role doing retail data analysis and reporting is an oddball in that it involves a fair bit of programming/coding, so it'd be tricky to find salary ranges in comparable industries. Also we're in northern NJ so cost of living changes things up.

The only thing I could think of is to look for other retailers in similar size with her function in the metro area, and do our best to look for comparable titles or responsibilities.

Then there's the question of what to do if the compensation increase doesn't really do much. I don't think she'd refuse the promotion for insufficient salary bump, nor would she want to leave just yet.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Computer Serf posted:

:haibrow: thanks sim

HR mindfuck games are really some sociopathic poo poo
It's not mindfuck games per se, it's the attitude that every opportunity is a great one at the right price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MJP posted:

My wife's bosses are talking with her about a promotion. It's something she'd definitely be OK doing. A call is scheduled to discuss the particulars. Compensation changes haven't been mentioned specifically, but she did say that they "weren't going to ask her take on more responsibilities without the right compensation."

She was a bit underpaid with her skill set, but she likes the workplace and people. Also, she has a medical condition and can't really drive out of town or do long/chaotic train commutes. Pre-rona, the office was a 10 minute in-town commute. As of now, they are remote through at least July, and nobody knows whether it'll return to butts-in-seats. Previously they were pretty lousy with letting people work remote.

What should we do for negotiating the compensation change? Her role doing retail data analysis and reporting is an oddball in that it involves a fair bit of programming/coding, so it'd be tricky to find salary ranges in comparable industries. Also we're in northern NJ so cost of living changes things up.

The only thing I could think of is to look for other retailers in similar size with her function in the metro area, and do our best to look for comparable titles or responsibilities.

Then there's the question of what to do if the compensation increase doesn't really do much. I don't think she'd refuse the promotion for insufficient salary bump, nor would she want to leave just yet.

Why would you limit your search to retailers? It sounds like she has broadly applicable data skills and a lot of those jobs are remote anyway at this point. I don't think your salary benchmarks are going to be that difficult and you're making up numbers anyway at some level, so don't sweat that too much.

When you talk about additional responsibilities, does this include people management at all? Otherwise you're likely to get only pretty incremental bumps unless it turns in to complete ownership of certain data products or whatever.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would you limit your search to retailers? It sounds like she has broadly applicable data skills and a lot of those jobs are remote anyway at this point. I don't think your salary benchmarks are going to be that difficult and you're making up numbers anyway at some level, so don't sweat that too much.

When you talk about additional responsibilities, does this include people management at all? Otherwise you're likely to get only pretty incremental bumps unless it turns in to complete ownership of certain data products or whatever.

She's been doing reporting/analytics/etc. for things that are fairly specific to retail - forecasting price markdowns, who gets laid off (fortunately she moved off of the team that did that a year or two back, no more building lasers for the Death Star), etc. She's built up the skill set and seems pretty interested in it, but I didn't specify retail only when futzing through Glassdoor.

We've tried poking around with similar titles - data analyst, retail analyst, %softwarename% analyst, etc. I wish Glassdoor had a way of searching through jobs that deal with specific terms - SQL reporting for Excel, %softwarename% dashboard creation, VBA macro stuff, etc. Her title gives so little and "SQL analyst" could mean anything.

She won't have direct reports, but she'd be training and sorta team-leading people who do her job. Her bosses want her to move up from a player to a coach is how she puts it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Again I think you're likely being too specific - you want broad market comparable so really any technical business analyst title that looks reasonable to you should serve as an anchor. You don't need perfect comps, you need useful comps that are defensible that help her anchor a salary number that she can stick to.

The coach thing sounds like a nightmare but I have to run to a meeting and won't post a lot on it. Sounds like classic all responsibility no authority poo poo.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FWIW they offered a 20% salary bump. We both think she was a bit undercompensated to begin with, but it's more of a technical coach - e.g. how to build reports, query data sources, deal with the retail buyers, etc. It also involves a little more hands-off on things she didn't want to do. She's been getting all the details, and I trust her take on things - she's not going to be a process or product owner or such.

As for comp research, is there a better method than "search Glassdoor for data analyst salaries" or "browse Glassdoor for similar-sized companies and any listed salaries" to use? It's easier for me since IT involves fairly specific keywords and titles in some of the stuff I've done, but we've never looked for something so nonspecific before. Happy to get the full post when you're willing and able.

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

MJP posted:

FWIW they offered a 20% salary bump. We both think she was a bit undercompensated to begin with, but it's more of a technical coach - e.g. how to build reports, query data sources, deal with the retail buyers, etc. It also involves a little more hands-off on things she didn't want to do. She's been getting all the details, and I trust her take on things - she's not going to be a process or product owner or such.

As for comp research, is there a better method than "search Glassdoor for data analyst salaries" or "browse Glassdoor for similar-sized companies and any listed salaries" to use? It's easier for me since IT involves fairly specific keywords and titles in some of the stuff I've done, but we've never looked for something so nonspecific before. Happy to get the full post when you're willing and able.

I am in a similar field, and Marketing or Market Analyst should do a lot of the work if she wants to be Retail focused. It sounds like her skills translate very well into Business Strategy as well. With querying data and report building, you can filter for more technical positions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

General Business Analyst at a large corp sounds about right.

Just make sure in terms of coaching responsibility that what she needs to do is clearly defined. If it's just training, that's one thing. If it's mentorship, that's another. If she's at all responsible for the performance of the people she is "coaching" that is yet another thing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK, I think the fault is me here - by coaching I meant "coaching how to get your VBA in Excel to stop calculating percentages above 100%, and definitely not 1,000,000,000% due to a glitch in the raw data provider" and not "how to meet your metrics and be a good corporate soldier"

Further crunching on those titles puts the new salary into a better spot - we'll still sleep on it but might try to get some extra PTO if there's any residual uncertainty about the bucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
20% increase on an already too-low salary sounds like a lowball, but it's rare for an employer to budge on an internal promotion. If she's happy where she is, great! But she could probably get paid a lot more elsewhere by shopping her newly enhanced resume around in six months or so (albeit possibly with a longer commute, etc.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah defo go for it within reason, the PTO idea is a good one - but your BATNA is pretty weak.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Anyone have any tips I can pass along to my girlfriend for a nurse manager position she is applying for? She has been working as an RN at a hospital for 5 years and is going to apply for a nurse manager role internally. I'm unsure how the negotiation process will work. As it is a public university hospital, all salaries are public and searchable in a database. Obviously we should have as much data as we can on what people make currently in that role, but I imagine she will be limited in her negotiation leverage as she currently works there. The pay band is listed publicly and lists the minimum, median zone low, median zone high, and max salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Javes posted:

Anyone have any tips I can pass along to my girlfriend for a nurse manager position she is applying for? She has been working as an RN at a hospital for 5 years and is going to apply for a nurse manager role internally. I'm unsure how the negotiation process will work. As it is a public university hospital, all salaries are public and searchable in a database. Obviously we should have as much data as we can on what people make currently in that role, but I imagine she will be limited in her negotiation leverage as she currently works there. The pay band is listed publicly and lists the minimum, median zone low, median zone high, and max salary.

Assuming she has no management experience expect the offer to be near the bottom of the band. Try to negotiate to median zone low. This is my experience with places that have defined and published bands. If the job for minimum to median low is too much for the money then don't go for it. If she wants to further move up then accept it might be a sacrifice.