Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I love everything about my current job. I just need more money because I want to buy a condo and everything in this area is stupid expensive.

I work for a well-endowed museum and I have a trendy tech title - Digital Asset Manager - but no tech background nor programming skills. I am in the final stages of implementing a database, at which point I will have super desirable experience that can translate to both the corporate and non-profit sectors.

I admit I don't have a good BATNA here. My boss is fantastic and I have a lot of autonomy at my work, both of which I would be hard-pressed to find elsewhere. My work isn't revenue-generating but I support most departments and have worked hard to become indispensable and widely beloved for doing a job no one else wants to.

Performance review season is in March. My database will be operational and hopefully a big success by then. How do I start now to sow the seeds for a substantial raise?

I make mid-50s and would like an extra $15k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Question here: how do you know your database implementation is reliable, scalable, proper protected from data loss, etc if you have no tech background? If you haven't demonstrable gained those skills I'm not sure how this experience translates into much of anything, as there are plenty of tools to just make a "database" that take little more than some MS Office experience.

If you've skipped over some training or methodology you've used to do this project your answer as to BATNA is going to be much different.
Sure, I'll clarify this a bit. After a long research and user listening tour period, I contracted us with an enterprise DAMS vendor that has many other cultural sector clients. We host on their cloud so they do that maintenance (which is good since we have 3 IT people onsite total). I meanwhile project managed the rest of the implementation: organized the metadata schema, folder structure, initial asset delivery (over 100,000, which will grow), user groups, permissions, and request forms. I will plan all the training sessions, do an internal campaign to promote the thing (buy in is very important), and act as general admin in the future (adding/deactivating users, making sure people don't upload fool garbage, checking the analytics.

This is my museum's first DAMS, and this will bring us to the back of the curve. Most places are in the process of getting their second generation DAMS now. But because it's new and cool to my place, I am hoping that people will see its value. The social media people, for example, are quivering in anticipation of all the neat stuff they can post, without having to beg curators for content.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

I'm not sure what that is, but it sure doesn't sound like a database in the usual technical sense. Maybe some sort of hosted CMS.
The point is that lots of places have DAMS and want people to implement or run them.

The question is how do I leverage this into a raise when I don't want to leave my current, very good position?