Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Droo posted:

I don't really have a personal opinion on your situation, but what people are trying to point out to you is that:

1. Just because you got a raise doesn't mean you are fairly compensated - you might be the $50k guy now getting $60k, not looking for that $125k job

I am not sure this applies to a union job with set pay levels across the industry (as he explains it). His specific personal situation matters to the discussion with him, but not to the big picture discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hoodwinker posted:

I think what people are trying to say is that he could potentially get a job at another company at a higher level, thus achieving higher pay.

Potentially. I don't know how the upper limit works but he also said this:

It's a minimum wage for each industry, as well as a lot of other benefits (or not) above the minimum standard set by the law. All companies are bound by this contract and can not underbid it.

So not sure how jumping jobs nets more money. I also don't know much about the way the unions work outside of the US.

E: also not saying don't go look for a new job. Just that the typical standard advice might not exactly with here

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is probably the most appropriate thread? I don't think we have an annual review thread: how to I get more money/title/etc. Not sure we have to be so rigid.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

It means you're contract labor and only get paid for the hours you work.

I am curious if he would even be an employee. If he is 1099 that offer gets worse by the second.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Drink and Fight posted:

Has anyone ever heard of strict pay bands in the private sector? My Company B apparently has those. I've never come across it outside government.

Yup. Everything below senior VP has a grade, pay band, and bonus target. I have an employee at the top of his pay band. He gets a tiny raise because I can't make it higher in the system. He knows why. All the grades and pay bands are published on our Intranet.

Investor owned, traded on the Nasdaq.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 14, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^lol yes

Dik Hz posted:

Every time I've heard about them, it's only applied to individual contributors or junior employees. It's largely a ploy to try to pay below market rate.

Edit: To provide more context:

I'm in STEM and a fresh grad can get ~$45-55k in my field. It's 6-12 months to train them and find out if they're useful. Another 2-4 years to learn the soft skills and how the business works. If they successfully do do that, they're worth $65-85k. Pay bands are designed to keep those people at the $50k level. FWIW, most people don't leave and just accept being underpaid.

What type of STEM and where? My engineers out of school will be a minimum $65k. That is crazy low. I can barely find people to take it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I was paid an annual bonus of $18,000 to lead a project which ended up saving the company $1.5M annually. Now, with the project ending, the department has indicated it would no longer like to pay me that bonus, which had been incorporated into my base salary.

My wife does not want to leave the area, and because of a non-compete (which has been viciously enforced by courts as recently as the last 12 months) the closest jobs I can take are > 50 miles away from my home. Short of blowing my life up, how do I convince my employer not to cut my pay $18,000?

So they basically want you to do the same job and take a $18k pay cut?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hoodwinker posted:

I just sort of slide right by it and don't even acknowledge it.

Them: "I'm sorry, policy dictates we can't do that."
Me: "Well, I'm still going to need $X to proceed."

This is good advice but also you kind of need to know when pay bands or other policies are not going to be waived by HR. A 10000 employee company is less likely than a 50. It will also depend on the grade and your experience. 5 years exp I am not even going to go to HR. 15 years and someone I really need I will try.

Ultimately if I am stuck in the band and you walk I just move on. No hard feelings, no big deal.

Certain people you will break the rules for. Many you will not though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jordan7hm posted:

Pay bands are relevant insofar as they will affect future compensation. If the company is telling you straight up that your future compensation is going to be limited, plan for that actually being the case.

They may bend or break the internal rules for a good external candidate but the odds of them doing it for an employee is a lot lower.

The odds are zero in my experience.

The other thing is pay bands can be fair. Not always just some low numbers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Once they give you a number you kind of have to give them a number on the counter. Just saying "more" is really unhelpful.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$27k and more PTO... Light the match.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm going to reiterate how the process worked: I emailed back and forth with overall company recruiter (who has an email with that company), had a phone interview, seemed to go well. He then moved me over to the talent acquisition lead for the local company (who has an email for that company). We talked, he told me more about the company culture, and corrected me about where the company moved (which would suggest he at least knows that much about it), and then told me the next step is talking to two of the people working in the specialty I'd be expected to enter into. I hear nothing back for a couple of weeks, he emails me apologizing for the delay and saying they'll get in touch with me the next week, then nothing, then I get this email from the overall company recruiter which implies the local process stalled or failed. Are there red flags here I missed?

Nope, we use internal recruiters all the time. Some suck but you have to deal with them to get to me for jobs.

The random people on LinkedIn are usually worthless. Although I would guess in my industry right now they actually could get you a job since we have a huge shortage of engineers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Goodpancakes posted:

Typically the government Union job has strict pay bands and offerings. You can negotiate, but it's usually within the pay band ( correct me if I'm wrong here ).

For instance you could be offered a job for "Engineering Whatever" and they have Ranges A-D paying 4000 a month at the start of A to 10,000 at the start of D. You probably can't negotiate for more then the bands, but you could negotiate yourself from A into D if you can prove you meet the standards for D.

Also the job and budget may only allow for grades A and B so even if you are qualified for D it is a no go.

This is exactly how it works at my work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m not handling negotiations so much now because I moved to a pure P&L ownership role, but I had a typical case pop up the other day that a colleague asked me to look at, and I’m sharing a few details in case it’s of interest.

One of our suppliers is doing an acceptably good job for us, at an acceptable rate.

As we expand into new cities, one of their competitors has won some of our business from our local managers by offering us a much better rate. Service levels appear so far to be equivalent. The nature of the goods being supplied is not such that we need to pick just one supplier.

We believe we are a material customer of the first supplier, but not the second.

It’s coming up to time to review our contract with the first supplier.

I would normally advise my colleagues to try to keep a friendly relationship with, and give business to, both suppliers so as to promote competition going forwards. I would also suggest them to push for better terms from the first on renewal to bring them into line with market. Obviously assume that we have done our homework on both suppliers and understand the assumptions that they have about how much business we will give them etc.

My question: has anyone here had a different approach to a similar situation (eg, seek to extract even better terms by picking just one supplier)? To me it seems like you would always have less leverage and get a worse deal that way, but maybe it’s sometimes worth it?

This is what our supply chain had done. We went from 7 consultants to 2, a region based construction contract with only one provider per, so material goes through one company (several approved vendors though that they can order from). Our SC claims a lot of savings and efficiencies. Some are true and some are not.

There was a lot of completion for the contacts ($700M-$1B cap expend per year).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

Being sole-sourced is a potentially existential threat to your business. If you completely shut off a supplier, you'll pay the rear end in a top hat tax to bring them back in. Your instincts are 100% correct. Keep both lines open in a 70-30 model and shift as necessary.

I don't handle such negotiations, but I've seen it a couple times where a new supplier offers a low rate as a loss leader hoping you'll gently caress up the relationship with your current supplier so they can raise rates later.

It depends on how much you do a year. The suppliers who do not get an MSA with us still come by every six months maintaining relationships so when the RFP comes out in a few years they are in a good bid position.

If the OP goes to one supplier it sould be a 3-5 year deal with locked in rates with specific escalators.

I would still probably have 2 suppliers though if I was in his shoes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jordan7hm posted:

Are you willing to lose the job entirely?

Because normally gently caress any company that will punish you for negotiating, but in this case if I was hiring you I’d be extremely put off by you trying to reopen negotiations at this stage and would probably pull the offer.

e: if 25k is the median salary, ask yourself if you, in your position of desperately needing a job and being pitched as an apprentice, should be paid above the median.

Pretty much this. I basically said this ship has sailed in the engineering thread. Take the job. Work hard and learn for 1-2 years and then go somewhere else.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sure. But I don't know why I am going to pay you the market rate (average) when you are right out of school for the position.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would just take it. You need a job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean it seems pretty obvious to me you need to buy another car? In which case there's a whole subforum for that.

Agree. Buy something for under $5k and be done with it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BallsBallsBalls posted:

I should be looking at getting an offer letter at some point this coming week for a new position that I had applied and interviewed for. I'm in a unique situation in that I come with my own health insurance that will undoubtedly be better and cheaper than anything this small-ish company can offer. When it comes down to negotiating the salary, should I leverage this? And if so, what's the best way to do it?

You can try. But you can also say "I don't need health insurance" and then take it or take it in the open enrollment. I would never consider that as a chip to trade as a hiring manager.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

Ask a Manager has a great letter today from a person who negotiated their initial job offer compared to their peers. It's a perfect example of why you should always negotiate.

(emphasis mine)

Sure fine story and all and could those other people for more out of school? Apparently yes. I will say what was their situation though? Did they have parents as a back up? Another job offer? Savings? They might have needed a job. I think the real point is change places to get real raises.

Also you are not the same as your peers. I have two guys that were about at the same pay, same grade, one just got 3.3% and the other 1.5% raise based on merit. I love when people know what everyone makes. You can see where you are and how you are valued, if you think it is crap then you leave. Rare thing though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He actually doesn't know that. In the article it says it is "likely they didn't negotiate". It is very possible he has better bosses for award good work.

When we go through raises each year I see all my peers numbers (12 of us) that they give out. Budget was about 2.4% thus year. Some of them "differentiate" by having a spread of 2.2% to 2.6%. my spread this year was 1.2% to 4.6%.

I agree negotiate, especially if you have a batna. Most of the time you don't out of school though. And who you work for from there matters, also matters that you do good work.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should ask for all of that stuff. They may just day "this is our final offer" but you also may get more. They may say that you are "special" and give you a relocation package, your experience may get you more PTO.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The temporary, person is out we need someone to pick up the slack is not a huge deal to me. This happens when people retire, change jobs, have a baby, etc. Hopefully you get a bigger bonus for that time as some recognition.

Now that the person is leaving permanently you get to find out the real deal. I would ask if they are expecting you to do two jobs. If they are not honest or will not say, staet looking around. If they say yes, tell them you are going to schedule a time in two weeks to discuss compensation for completing two jobs and start looking for new jobs.

You should really start looking for new jobs like everyone says regardless. You need leverage.

V also good advice

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 12, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Network your rear end off. Or form your choice of company entity and take some of the $300 Billion with a B dollars for small businesses that were part of the third relief wave. It’s like thirty year cheap or free money, mostly loans, but super easy, like two hours or less same day approval.

So yes, it sucks. Many companies and industries will change forever, if they survive. Each and every one of you individuals will be okay. Even if you don’t see it right now.

Your business has to exist as of February 15th so that will not work.

Things are very unknown. For a lot of low earners you will make more money for the next 4 months if you are laid off. Then we will see what happens. I know we are still hiring. It will really depend on what industry you are in and where you work though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My hope is that the crash course in remote work will open up avenues to some types of workers that weren't around earlier; no more need for relocation to jump ship to a company in another state/country.

I think you will see more remote work locally but not sure it will translate to long distance remote. I think you will see HR push back to go from operating in 1 state to 4 or 5 if you made that switch. I know plenty of companies do it and maybe there will be more tools available but it does get tricky. How do local laws apply, does the insurance transfer to that state, etc. I hope I am wrong though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are several companies (professional employer organizations) that provide HR services as a co-employers for smaller businesses who are already well situated to deal with this.

I totally agree with you. But whether companies want to deal with it or not is the question.

Only one example but even though we operate in 10 states wr will not allow people to be based in states we are not currently in. Maybe that will change, maybe not. We have tried to keep people who had to move away before with no luck. We have 15,000 employees though.

Like I said I am hopeful but I wouldn't be surprised to not see that much change from a long distance perspective.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Dang, there was a lot of fine print I missed.

It is pretty hard to navigate it all. This is only of the better summaries I have seen. My partner has been working all week on what to do for her business, crazy stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusin...tm_source=share

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just because he can work doesn't mean the business is pulling the same revenue.

You can say it is lovely to cut 10% pay but you would have to know the cash flow situation.

My entire company of 13k people is working still. We are pushing out hundreds of millions of dollars of investment since revenue has cratered. I expect no bonus, no raise, no 401k match this year. But hey, I am still getting paid.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You can easily live on 65k as a single person in Denver. Get a roommate and you can live even better. Where in the city is the job? You can easily bike all year. Transit is pretty decent but kind of expensive (work may provide an eco pass). The median household income in Denver is only $68k. I have never lived in Tennessee but Denver is a pretty cool place to live.

No relocation kind of sucks but you will have to decide if it is right for you. Only 3 years into your HR career, 65k seems pretty good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My general approach is to read the message and see what they say. If they are not VERY specific about my skills and how they apply to the position I just ignore it (sometimes I respond sarcastically).

I will get people who send me stuff for roles I haven't done in over 3 years. It is like come on man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

In general if all things are equal I'd probably say its usually a half-step back to take a lateral position like that. You lose some seniority on the team and if the vent people are irritated by the move you've just gotten a bad reputation with management that is closely related. That all depends on the people involved and company culture, of course..

This is possible but I have found at larger organizations laterals can improve your overall standing in the entire organization. If you want to move up in some places that can be valuable. It will depend on the company though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Re: the value of lateral moves - since we all have pretty different ideas about how to value them that they are probably not too valuable a priori, and the original poster should look closely at what the other benefits will be.

Agreed. I should have been more clear that I was talking in general and not to the OP specifically. It will depend on the role, the company, the leadership, etc.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I usually close my interviews with "what questions do you have for us?" and "is there anything else you want to cover that we didn't?". We also can only ask the candidates the exact same questions and have to follow a whole slew of HR rules. So those are my catch all Q's at the end. Honestly by that part though I know if you are good or a dummy. I am not sure how anything from the OP would "work". Maybe I am to rigid as an engineer in interview processes...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My dad went through that back in 2000 ish. He is saying it was anywhere from 3-9 months (depending on position/level) pay to stay until you lost your job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't mention company B or C, just say the second part. "I am excited for the opportunity to work here. If you can do $X annual salary instead I'll be happy to sign the paperwork today."

I agree with this.

Also I would do this all in writing from here on out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm just beginning what I feel could be either a very short, or very long, negotiating process for a job within an organization I'm currently employed.

Some pertinent facts:

1) Company is a medium-sized electric utility co-op. It's almost impossible to be fired, or laid off, from this employer. Job security is unreal.
2) Current job role is a union represented position with no supervision duties, with an hourly wage that is eligible for overtime
3) Prospective job is a non-represented position with light supervision and mentoring duties, and much greater professional responsibility. It is a salaried position.
4) Both jobs are in the same department
5) I am being actively groomed by the current department manager to assume his position in the near future after a well known organizational change occurs (acquisition of another utility). This position I'm being offered is considered a stepping stone before the succession plan is enacted. Apparently this succession plan has been signed off by the COO of the co-op. I'm a well-known entity in my field within my geographic location.
6) All parties are highly aware of my current rate of pay given that it's a negotiated wage with the union
7) I'm also being paid a higher wage classification in my union position than is typical given my qualifications and my managers desire to retain me as an employee

I interviewed for the non-represented job last week with my manager and his manager, and was verbally offered the position. There are no other candidates for the job. I've had verbal discussions about salary after the interview, wherein I did not name a figure. I kept things vague and let him (manager) do most of the talking. He told me how HR sets salary bands for each position grade, and generally try to assign all new hires to the midpoint based on research provided by the hiring manager. I emphasized that based on my qualifications I should be well compensated above the mid point, and he agreed and said he'd work with HR.

Cue almost a week later and finally receive an offer letter. The proposed pay is not even a 1% bump from my current rate when annualized. The offer letter verbiage indicates this rate of pay is above the mid-point for this pay band "in recognition of your significant experience..." etc etc. I was also informed on the sly that this offered pay is higher than what the other person employed in this position makes; that statement is patently false as I am close friends with the other engineer and this offered salary is exactly what he makes. I will also be expected to mentor and tutor said engineer and act as the technical authority in this department.

My BATNA is to tell management to pound sand and to stay within my good union classification. I'm not entirely worried about workplace reprisals from management as I'm in a strong union (IBEW). Their BATNA is to then close the door to future progression within the company.

What's my play here? My first instinct is to sit down with my manager, inform his as a courtesy that this offer letter is not attractive and that I will be working with HR to have my concerns addressed. Pay-wise I'd accept 5% more than what they offered, so I suppose I should counter with something like 10% more and see what they come back with?

I also think this "stepping-stone" position might be a complete waste of time and it might be better to hold fast where I'm at until the management job - which is the position the company really intends to sit me in long term - is opened up.

Jumping in kind of late here but...

First, I am not surprised at all that there is no pay bump. I have never seen a topped out union guy go up in salary with a move to salary at a utility. Just doesn't happen based on skill set, negotiation (by the union), pay band restrictions, etc.
Second, Are your grades and pay bands posted to your intranet? I haven't work at or with a utility yet that the information isn't completely available.
Third, My experience (all of it at electric utilities) is that HR will not hire you in in the upper band. Maybe if you are gods gift to the world, maybe if they haven't been able to fill the position, but honestly it will not happen. The goal will be to put you right at the middle or below it. So find out those bands (someone you know will know).
Fourth, I would ask for more money. if you came in at the mid point of the middle band then you probably have 7-10% of room.

Curious who you work for and who is buying you if you want to share. Also you distribution or transmission?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One problem with organizations with high job security is that pay structures tend to be very rigid. You lose nothing by negotiating, and I think you have a compelling case that you would make the same money to do more work.

If it's like other organizations I work with that have a clear union/non-union split, you won't be able to advance unless you take this role, so consider that as well. It sounds like that might be the case since you mention being topped out within the union.

Completely true of electric/gas utilities. When your rates and return are regulated you have to set ground rules, just how it goes.

spf3million posted:

Anecdotally, my company has a mix of union operators and non-union management. The first non-union management position that a union operator could step into is almost always at a lower salary than they were making in the union. Makes it hard to fill those front line supervisor positions but those who do take that initial step down in pay have a much higher ceiling for future advancement.

We run into this all the time (I work at one of the 5 biggest utilities in the US). Most of the time the union guys only leave for management because they have families and can't be on the road or on call as much.

Lockback posted:

^^That, though I think in the situation your describing I'd expect it'd be tighter since this role sounds like its first-line management. Additionally, with a range there is usually a mark where they say "You cannot come into this role above this line", usually 120% of midpoint.So if they say they are already 7% above, they probably still have room but not a ton.

For comparison, new person coming into a role is usually supposed to be somewhere between 80-90% of midpoint.

Yeah the bands most likely (in my utility experience) are much tighter at that level. I don't have my works pay chart handy but my supervisor is basically topped out in the upper 1/3 and at $100K, a new supervisor is making $80K in the bottom 1/3. The mid is probably around $87K. It will all vary some but I have found most utilities to be very similar in how the operate and pay.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anti-Hero posted:

As I understand it, there are increasing numbers of salary grades on the non-union side of the company. Each position has a single salary grade assigned to it, and that grade has a single range. There is no chance of multiple salary grades being an option for a single position.

The information on the salary grades are not available, or at least not readily and I haven't dug much on our intranet. It's definitely not advertised. My manager, whom I'm guessing is a grade 15, claims to not know the ranges for each grade.

As to your question about who I work for, we are super small peanuts if you work for a top 5 national utility. I live in Alaska, and we are the largest utility. We are also the one's doing the acquiring of a separate utility. We are transmission, distribution, AND generation (pretty common for utilities to provide all 3 up here). Google searching should fill in the details.

On the first point what they normally do is break the range into 1/3's. Say the range is 106 - 130 with the 118 mid you mentioned. If you have no experience in the role HR will try to bring you in at 106-114, If you are experienced and ready to dive in 114-122, then top third of 124 -130, which HR is very reluctant to put people in (got to have that carrot out there!). If the middle is 118k then you are probably pretty close to the top of what they will do for you at 126K. I would push for $130K though and ask about the Pension thing.

Your manager is 99% positive a liar on the pay bands though. You have to know these things for budgets, pay raises, etc.

You are right though easy to figure out based on your clues. With the COL up there the may seems pretty low. I was offered a job up the road at MEA that was a high position than I have now and less pay (way less after COL adjustments).

I think you can squeeze out a bit more though so good luck on that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

A better answer is "I'd have to see the total benefits package to give a firm answer on that question." The recruiter isn't the person you're negotiating with, so don't worry too much about giving them vague platitudes. If the number is close to what you'd except, you can tack on "but we're not that far apart" without ruining your ability to negotiate later.

I know guys that make $100k/year on $26-27 an hour when you add in overtime and the cost of good health insurance. I also know people who make $30k a year on $26-27 an hour.

I don't think this applies when it is a contract job as the OP stated.

I agree with Xguard86, they are basically offering a job at $27. So you either accept that name or name a higher number. I don't see how you can play the game in this case, especially for a temp, contract job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Chalets the Baka posted:

However, interviews have finally started to pick up for me again, and I may finally have an offer coming this week with what seems to be a much healthier and relaxed employer, but I have a couple issues I'm not sure how to address. The first is that I'm thoroughly and completely burned out - I can't stress how burned out I am. I don't know if I'm even capable of doing a good job at a new place, or that I'll have the motivation to try. For years now I have wanted to quit and take a self-imposed sabbatical to earn some industry certifications and "find myself" - I have aggressively saved a couple years worth of "gently caress you money" to do this with - but I've been afraid of the consequences/career suicide in doing so. If the offer I get is too low, I may not accept and opt for the sabbatical. How badly would I be kneecapping my potential with this option? I have almost a decade of experience working in IT systems administration.

The second issue is, assuming the offer is a healthy one, what's the best way to break the ice on the negotiation? I've gone through this thread but what I've seen assumes verbal negotiation - I'm assuming it'll arrive over email, and I don't think I've negotiated an offer over email before. It's been almost 3 years so I'm a little rusty, and knowing some good ice breakers might help.

For the first one you could maybe negotiate a later start date. Say you quit your lovely place (honestly sounds like you plan on doing this if you take this job or not, so I would probably quit tomorrow) well tomorrow, maybe you could start in January. That give you a few months to recoup.

Over email is great. Just lay out your requests in an email and send them off. I am sure if you post it here plenty of people will provide good comments.