Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If I got an offer with unlimited PTO, in my counter I would state how much I will be taking. Not binding but at least sets the expectation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^I agree that you should be nice but it all comes down to dollars at this point. The company wants you and you are at least close on pay if you are making a counter.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you get an offer with unlimited PTO you should significantly raise your salary ask, because absent very reliable information to the contrary, you have to assume "unlimited PTO" will actually work out to mean "very little PTO and only when it's convenient for management".

You are surely correct. I have never worked in the unlimited PTO world. It seems like a bunch of crap.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

you say no, you can't share it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sounds like you submit your counter to company A tomorrow morning. Do you have that all figured out?

You haven't even started the negotiation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hell yeah!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They almost certainly will say no as during open enrollment you can enroll. Maybe the insurance is better and you decide to change your mind. I have typically not seen this request go anywhere.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

leper khan posted:

I've heard of cases where they bill 3-4x.

2.5-3.5x the employees hourly is extremely common in engineering consulting.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Had a meeting last Friday that I thought was a second interview and they asked me how I liked the offer... I was like what offer? Recruiters are real dumb as no one sent it to me. I turned down the offer today. Lower base and lower bonus. I told them I didn't want to waste anyone's time with a counter.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

Yep, a counter is the next step. 15% of my bare minimum if EVERYTHING is equal, so if you like your current job I'd want more than 15%. I don't quite parse how much more the stock is, but that does help. I'd probably counter more like 125% of your current salary.

Usually internal transfer are much more rigid. Maybe he can get 5% more but I assume he knows the bands and where the pay should fall.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is a nice reminder for the thread that the best new job negotiation is no negotiation because the job has a union.

Management got no union my man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Those 5 days of PTO are worth at least $10k imo. Great win.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

81sidewinder posted:

Never understood the thought to pull an offer. You'd almost never pull an offer in so many other facets of negotiations, why is it so common in hiring?

I have done it. Our of offer was $97k with a posted range of $85-$105k. He countered with $142k. I was just like thanks for your time, we are going to go another direction.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eric the Mauve posted:

In that case that's what he was communicating to you, in so many words.

I would say he was delusional. I floated it to 4 of our consultants and they were laughing. But if he got it somewhere else that is great for him.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Trauts posted:

How would a salaried position (IT technician) be handled overtime wise?

You will have to ask. My first engineering job I got paid OT if I had to work even though I was salary. My next engineering job... not so much. Different than IT but I think you just need to ask.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

leper khan posted:

It's a no-win situation unfortunately. But that's how its gone for me recently as well.

Same here. I found that my employer values me way more than the competition. All the offers this year came in lower than I make, less 401k match, less bonus, and less PTO. On the bright side it makes me feel better about my current role and they apparently want me around since I just got a pretty nice out of cycle bonus.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Colorado also requires pay to be included in the job posting. Some companies put a large range but most seem to give a reasonable range.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

redreader posted:

I'm in Colorado and the top of the pay range for this job and most similar jobs is 24k less than what I was getting before. I have no reason to think they'll go 24k above their range magically without me mentioning my previous salary, but I doubt they'll do it even then. I suppose I just have to get a job and carry on applying for jobs that are offering more.

Fwiw our postings (also in Denver here) do not post the top of the range. We post the range for the bottom 2/3rds. Hiring into the top 1/3 is tough but doable for the right person and a good manager who pushes HR. So there might be room above the posted salary but maybe not 24k worth.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Granted we are just one company but I have heard from others that the practice is similar at their work. Others I know have tried to go above the range though and been told the range is firm. So I can't say for sure it is an available option but I know people play games with postings. It still meets the letter of the law but may not be helpful.

Like Lockback mentioned you may need to get the money conversation out there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I understand what you're saying but some benefits are in fact negotiable, notably PTO.

I'll tell people if asked in an interview but it's caveated with "this is not actual benefits documentation, this is what is currently in place today to my knowledge offhand"

This has been my experience. If a place holds to n"ew employee only gets 15 days" when you have 20 years experience that sucks. But you can get around it for sure at a good place.

The 401k match will never change though. Can be a big deal breaker.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah this requires a plan amendment, you can't really negotiate this on an individual basis due to various rules for discrimination testing. I mean, it's maybe theoretically possible if the company is very literally willing to say "we do not give a single gently caress how much it costs and are willing to give more money to everyone in the company to accommodate you."

While I've read enough horror stories about "anonymous" surveys, this is sometimes the point of them - what benefits are the employees not happy with and where can we effectively spend our money to improve them? If everyone is like "1% match sucks my dudes" then there's at least ammo to make that argument to finance.

Totally with you on this one. I have been talking to a company that interests me but I know the 401k match is not great (although I have seen worse). If they pay enough it can work out if the plan is good. We will see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

4 10s is still a much better schedule than 5 8s

In my experience it turns into 4 10s plus a 4 or maybe more. If they whole office does it and is basically shut down on that off day though it is probably better.

4-10s in an office environment I have found is basically the same productivity as 4-8s. For me personally I know when I get past hour 9 I am basically getting so little done unless I take like an hour break.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lmao. I was looking at that like... What got autocorrected.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well played by her. But I'd keep my resume state of the art if I were her. She has them over a barrel now, and smartly turned her leverage into money, but they may get right to work mitigating that and then looking for someone cheaper for the long term. Unless this is outside the US and in a jurisdiction where "permanency" is contractual and not just a pinky promise.

I wouldn't be too worried. She was on a contract and was going to go to another contact (but better) and then got offered a full time position. Getting rid of her would be very strange now that she's is full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just finished ~8 months of being strung along. I am only half heartedly looking to leave so not a huge deal. Ultimately they said they were apprehensive about upsetting my current employer since they want to get work with them. I guess at least I got 2 very nice dinners out of it.