Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

big trivia FAIL posted:

It's low for my area, but I have a brain problem where I refuse to take a mortgage on more than 2x my gross. My first house was carried at 120 after down payment, and my current one is 209 after. Saying it's exaggerated still means that if it WERE that, and we scope down to 450, I'd still need to earn 225K. That's insane. How do people live like that? Do you not buy cars, groceries, fix poo poo that goes wrong, have kids, save any money?? We save, through retirement and rainy day, about 1300 per month, and I'm itching to double that with paying off the cars and student loans. I have 2 kids and 2 car notes, my wife doesn't work. I'm 34. HOW DO YALL LIVE??

In poverty-like housing conditions or finance situations

or

1.5-2 hour commute with 10,000 of your closest friends.

You get to chose.

on topic: I received a $5,000 annual increase to my current jobs salary when I was hired a few months back just by asking for it. Highly recommend, would ask again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

a dingus posted:

Thanks dudes. I updated my resume today at work and started looking at places to work in Reno where I'd like to move.

I work for a large company and I know most people don't make any money staying in the same position long but even if I move somewhere internal I feel like I'll be leaving $ on the table.

Just be careful about doing things like that at work. No reason why you can't do it at home. Finding a new job can take a while (and it can be super fast too), you don't need to give your employer a reason to axe you before you're ready to move on.

Maybe it's just my lovely company but there's stuff in the employee handbook that forbids job searching at work.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

bamhand posted:

I think the bonuses and the extra hours more or less make it a wash. So it'd be 130-135% of my current salary in exchange for +125% more hours. Basically my hourly rate would be roughly the same but with more work.

I did exactly this and the extra time I spend at work absolutely wasn't worth it.

I'm salaried at 50/wk minimum in my contract for your reference. Also I travel 70% so that might be part of my discouragement.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Dik Hz posted:

They oftentimes have non-poach agreements. But, given you were unemployed, it's unlikely to apply even if they have one. Doubly so if they fired or laid you off. Also, initiating a law suit against a current or recently former employee will result in a lot of damage to morale so it's not a thing reasonable companies take lightly. It might be worth the piece of mind to consult a local employment attorney and just lay out the scenario and ask her advice. A consult would probably be in the $100-$200 range.

This can also be state dependent.

In Mass a law was recently passed that limited how you could enforce a non-compete and provided some employee protections in the cases of layoffs/firing. Not a lawyer at all but something to keep in mind.

If there's concern, you should get a consult as mentioned above, but it seems to me that whatever non-compete your employer had would only be enforceable with a direct competitor and I doubt your customers would be classified as such.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think it'd be a little cowardly to accept merely his current pay rate for the time off - this is his hard-earned vacation accrued over years. Charge them 1.5x at least. :getin:

You and this company is not going to be a long term relationship - the writing is on the wall. Either view this as a smash-and-grab where you get as much as possible right now, or accept losing it forever.

Yeah agreed.

Just ask for everything and negotiate from there. Don't be the one to tell yourself no.

I'd also do the math and see what you're at on a hypothetical hourly rate to put things in perspective. If you're getting 10-15% more but putting in 30% more work than another place, it's a trash deal and you're not being fairly compensated even though your paycheck is higher.

Maybe you need that to make ends meet but for me, an extra 10% of my salary is not worth going from 40 to 50 hours a week (25% increase in worked time).

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

pumped up for school posted:

That's why I stayed so long. The mismanagement stuff I didn't see while I was in the trenches.

The "losing your PTO" memo was a bigger airhorn I guess. I'm not the only one who is looking for a job.

When I was in my 20s and 30s I never wanted to do govt science. They drag poo poo out forever, spend a ton of money do it, then conclude with "we need more money for additional tests." A lot of my work is contracted by the us government, and when I get the review comments it just seems sad. Hard to explain.

Now I'm terrified my retirement plan is to die at my desk and my view has changed.

Why do you have to go into government science? I have no idea what field you're in but there are probably tons of relevant/tangential options out there. I doubt that the government and your little outfit are the only people doing the research you want.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Muscular Typist posted:

Hi thread, this is a cross-post from the Corporate thread regarding a job application that has progressed to the negotiation stage.

I work for Company A as a pharmaceutical scientist. I make $75k and have been at the company for 5 years. I have a MS in Biology and skill sets X, Y and Z. My (ex-) boss quit 6 months ago to join Company B across the country (from CA to MA). He posted a position one level senior to mine, asking for skill sets X, Y and Z along with a BS (+5 yrs experience), MS (+2 yrs), or PhD (+1 yr). I had grown to be pretty good friends with ex-boss (he is a good dude) and shot him a text that I was interested and he fast-tracked me into an interview. He also told me in confidence that the midpoint for the position is $110k and that the work/life balance has been much better for him than Company A. Salary/CoL balance and work/life balance are my two main gripes with working at Company A and led me to agree to the interview.

1) I make enough money to live decently in CA and will be okay if this offer doesn't work out.
2) I enjoy the nerdy science poo poo I do at my job and have cool coworkers.
3) Management seems to recognize me and have risen me up the ranks (4 promotions from $28/hr -> $31/hr -> $68k -> $75k), although this was largely due to ex-boss who is gone now.
4) The weather is nice.

I won't touch on the negotiation stuff but I will say that you're likely going to be able to make a huge jump moving to any other company at this point.

I would be surprised if you weren't able to get a 25k raise in your current area to be honest, but I don't know CA that well. Just assuming San Diego / SF / whatever pharma location you're in operates similarly to MA. Start applying to more jobs locally if salary is important to you as well. Management is giving you raises but it seems to me you are underpaid a bit given your experience.

I like Cambridge but the weather can suck at times if you don't do winter sports or something.

Also if you do get moved, try to negotiate for them to cover moving expenses.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I'd get an offer first and see if it's worth changing for.

They might be moving fast but it'll still take a bit of time to draft an offer, have you ask for an extra 10k/year, them revise the offer and then you tell them you want to give your previous employer 2-4 weeks notice to wrap up projects.

You'll know whether or not your part time proposal is in the cards before you have to give notice.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Staggy posted:

Hey, just want to say thanks for the advice in the OP. I recently applied for an internal opportunity at my current employer (basically going from temp to permanent) and couldn't figure out what sort of salary to expect/aim for.

As it turned out (and after reading the OP) all I had to say in response to the dreaded "so what sort of salary would you be looking for" question was "That's a good question and would depend on the broader benefits package". The interviewer from HR immediately started going through bonus eligibility, PTO, etc., including their desired salary range. That let me casually mention that the top of that range was where I was looking.

They followed up by offering me the job with a salary about £4k even higher so I have no idea what happened there. Maybe I got played, who cares?

Congrats!

I don't think you got played. If you're happy with the outcome that's a win. The higher salary, the benefits, and not being a temp anymore are all fantastic improvements.

You're in a better position now as well since you now have a data point for what this company is willing to give you for the work you're doing. This will help you in future negotiations since you'll have a better idea of what salary to expect/aim for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I mean you're not going to get away from it in certain industries. Leaving a job paying 100k/year and taking a job at 60k with 40k shares is probably a bad idea (financially).

If it's great for your career and you don't mind the pay cut go for it. But you can't look at those shares and value them at anything but 0. They're worth nothing until they're worth something, and in a lot of industries they could turn back into nothing overnight.

Edit: rationale really depends on person, their goals, etc. It's possible to get a raise and then get equity on top.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 25, 2021