Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I would like to solicit some unusual negotiation advice in advance of when I may need it.

How should one approach requests for modifications to the offered contract that fall outside of traditional compensation? Specifically, I'm hoping to have it explicitly stated (whenever I find a job) that I retain IP rights to anything developed outside of the company and that is not derivative or related work. (I am comfortable with a company keeping IP rights to anything I develop in-house if that's standard and taken into consideration with their compensation.)

Details: I am applying primarily to positions where I would be doing a lot of code development for large-volume data analysis/visualization/processing in a business environment, but would like to be able to continue developing electronic research/medical equipment (and the corresponding user interfaces) related to my doctoral research. These two things should be completely separable (while there are software components to both, they are quite separate fields), but I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on how to request that without harming leverage on traditional compensation.

Edit: \/ Thanks. \/

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Dik Hz posted:

Were you the guy who asked this same question a week ago in another thread? I can't remember. Anyway, I'll repeat my advice in case you're not. Keep a lab notebook/journal of your own projects and work. The company can't go after anything that's not work-related, and if you can show via your notebook that your ideas were invented on your own time, you will be golden. This is the primary reason for lab notebooks, even at large companies, btw.

Also, suing a former employee is the nuclear option. Imagine how bad it would be for morale at a company to go after anything that wasn't a slam-dunk win for the company.

(I think that was someone else.) That's a good idea with the notebooks. I'd definitely be keeping all records separate from any work related computers or other materials, but I should probably keep a more formal notebook than the legal pad I've been using for the past year or so. Thanks.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
I'm nearing decision time between two positions, and this thread has been quite helpful.

I managed to avoid naming a salary at the interview for a government post-doc and have been offered more than $10K more than I was expecting for the position based on glassdoor. I also managed to avoid giving any actual numbers at an interview with a private company earlier today, despite the fact that I talked one-on-one with the CEO for several hours, and it sounds like I'll have a formal offer from them soon. It would appear that I'll be in a very good BANTA position, and I was able to keep a cool head through all of this despite the desperation from long-term unemployment because of this thread.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
Update: Ugh. The recruiter I've been talking to about this position for over a month e-mailed me earlier (post interview) and explicitly asked, "Give me a range please." Suggestions for handling that?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

swenblack posted:

I'm going to assume this is the private company you mentioned a couple posts ago. Is it the company's recruiter or a third party recruiter? If it's a third party recruiter, just press her for the offer. If it's a company recruiter, give the top number of your range +$5k as your salary requirement. Either way, tell them you're excited to work with $company but you have another offer you plan on accepting and need their best offer immediately.

Third party recruiter. Thanks for the suggestion.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
I had a phone interview followed by a lengthy in-person interview with the CEO of a small privately held company recently for a data scientist position. I'm heading back there again in the morning because the CEO wants to discuss terms for an employment offer. I was told to come with expectations in mind for base salary, insurance, PTO, training, performance incentives and equity/profit sharing. From what I can gather, I'm either one of two candidates or the only remaining candidate.

I'm fresh out of grad school and I have no clue what to ask for. :eng99: I'm used to living below the poverty line as a TA, so I'm in a bit over my head.

BATNA: I have an offer for a postdoc at a government research facility doing research directly related to my graduate work in a geographic area I'd prefer. The stipend offer for the postdoc is about $4K under the area median for data science positions, a training and travel budget that's quite generous, 24 days/year PTO, but no benefits. I'm still waiting for the final contract to review, but I was told I'd maintain majority IP rights and profitable patents are a possibility. I actually think I'd enjoy the postdoc more, but I'm sure there's some TCO that would get me into the data science position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
Atlanta and PhD in Psychology with an unusual specialty. The stipend offer I have for the postdoc (other area) already beats average pay for a data scientist here.

I actually really like the company model and business plan, and to my understanding it's currently all held by the CEO and CTO with small quantities of equity probably held by a few other employees. They're planning on conservatively seeking outside funding soon, to my understanding.

I guess the big thing that would be helpful to have a rough guideline for tomorrow morning is what value health insurance and PTO at when weighing those against salary, bonuses, and equity.