Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm not quite at the offer and negotiation stage, but I've done 3 interviews with a company for a software engineer role and am about to enter what I believe is the final panel interview next week.

I was contacted today by the recruiter and she went over the company's benefits verbally on the phone. The benefits sounded pretty good, certainly better than what I'm receiving now and more than what has been advertised at many other companies that I have applied to. Of course until I see the benefits in writing in an offer I won't actually assume these are the benefits I am getting, but I also don't think she was lying to me or anything either. I got her to confirm that all of the benefits would be given to me in writing if we reached the offer stage.

She also asked for my desired salary. I told her I'd prefer not to say at this point, at which point she responded by saying "is it within the range of salaries provided by the job posting?" She then went on to say that they just wanted to make sure if things continued to go well that we were in the same ballpark when it comes to salary and that we wouldn't just hit a standstill during the offer stage.

I didn't exactly know how to answer this question. The truth is given the benefits package described to me verbally and what I have learned about the role so far I would be willing to accept pretty much anywhere in the range given in the advertisement (there was a $13k difference between the top and bottom of the range). Of course I would like near the top of the range, so I did not divulge the fact that I would actually take the lower end of the range. I ended up saying something to the effect of "I'm confident that we will be able to find common ground for compensation if we reach the offer stage." Was this a reasonable response?

I asked in the interview thread whether advertised salary ranges are typically firm ranges from the employer's point of view or just a starting point for negotiations and I was told that usually these ranges are accurate though there are always exceptions. Just thinking ahead a bit if the final interview goes well and we reach the offer stage, is there any reason not to ask for the top of the range or even a little bit above? (after they hopefully put a number on the table first of course)

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I killed an interview at Company A on Friday and they are currently checking references. They’ve mentioned they feel like I’d be a great match and I think I’ll be getting an offer shortly, perhaps as early as Monday or Tuesday. No numbers are currently on the table, though they did ask for an expected salary (to which I declined to say).

I also have a 4th (and final) round interview with Company B on Tuesday. Of the positions I’ve interviewed for this is the one I’m most interested in, but I’m less sure that I’m going to get an offer because I still have the last interview.

Just thinking ahead a bit: if I get an offer from Company A before the last interview from Company B how do I proceed? Obviously I’d tell Company A that I’m thrilled to be made an offer and that I need to take a little time to think it over. I’d probably also counter any offer they made me unless it blew me away. But how long do companies typically expect a response by (while allowing for time to negotiate)? And do I let Company B know that I’ve been made an offer by another company after the last interview, provided I think it went well?

This is just uncharted territory for me and I’m looking to be prepared.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

Tell A you are in the final stages of another interview and want to compare offers, so you will need time.

Tell B you have another offer and (politely) request if it's possible to expedite decision making.

This will help you in both situations.

Thanks this was what I was going to do but I wanted to make sure there wouldn’t be any unintended negative consequences.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How much money would it take for you to return to office full time if the office is 15-20 minutes away?

I’m trying to figure out the dollar value of remote vs. in person work.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The commute would be 15-20 minutes and only a few traffic signals. Rarely if ever traffic to extend the commute. My kids’ daycare is on the way so realistically the commute is only adding 10-15 minutes. Say 15 minutes.

The office is a shared office with closed door with 2-3 other people in my team. It has windows. I have no idea if I will like these people.

No restaurants in walking distance. It’s in an industrial/commercial park. I’d have to drive to get lunch a few minutes away.

I don’t drink coffee but they have free tea and snacks which I would take advantage of.

It’s a pretty strict in-office job. I think they’d be fine if I stayed home if my kids were sick or I had a doctors appointment or whatever, but certainly not because I just felt like working from home that day.

This job has an advertised salary about $25k higher than other remote jobs I’ve been looking at which is why I decided to keep going with the process. But now that I think about it more I feel like I’d need…at least $40k more? Maybe more? I just don’t know how to put some of the intangible things into dollars. Like I can calculate gas and vehicle wear and tear and food and build that into a cost. But I can’t calculate how much it’s worth to be able to just poo poo in my own toilet or wear gym shorts to my job or have my own office with no one bothering me.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I think it depends on your living situation too

Do you have a house with a private office? Probably would need double my salary to consider it, and even then I'd have an exit plan within three years

Are you living in a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment with a baby, saving for a house? Probably would settle for a lot less money

Any traditional office that's enforcing a strict 9-5 M-F for "culture" reasons in 2023 is probably an awful place to work though. Even tiny (like, 6-20 ppl) bootstrappy start ups I'm talking to are only 3 days a week in office, with 4 "recommended" and generally Mondays or Fridays WFH

House with a private office.

I've thought a lot about the last paragraph. Nothing about the interview process has raised any red flags and it does seem like employees really like the company based on Linkedin research into employee tenures and just the vibe I got meeting some of the staff, but there is something off about a company requiring in-person especially for their computer touchers.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I think I’m going to settle on $50k as the cost to get me to work in an office job.

I just received an offer from the in-person job this evening (Company A from my earlier posts) and I’m like 75% confident I’m getting one from a remote one (Company B) by the end of the week since I believe I killed the final interview with the VP of IT. Even ignoring the remote vs in person aspects I like Company B a bit more.

So assuming I do get an offer from B I’m thinking A will need to beat B by like $60k. Possible but improbable. Still, it should be a fun negotiation!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Company A (in-person job) made me an offer earlier in the week for $135k, and Company B (remote) just made me another offer for $118k.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread Company A would need to beat Company B's offer by $60k in order for me to take that position due to the in-person aspect of the job at A and the fact that I like the fit at B a little more.

I let both companies know I had another offer and that I'm considering both offers over the weekend.

But how do I proceed from here? Who would you contact first with a counter-offer? Or does it matter? Industry average for my position in my area is between $110k and $130k so if I only had B's offer I think I'd counter with $135-140k and go from there (a 15-20% counter). But do I also counter A with a seemingly outlandish $195-200k at the same time (60k more than the 135-140k from my counter to B)?

I'm just not sure about the ideal order of actions.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

A is probably just going to sever when you ask for $200 but there's no downside to doing so anyway. Here you can confidently tell them the truth: I have another offer that's fully remote which is very attractive to me, so to consider an in person role I would need $200K.

If possible I'd have arranged things if possible to submit my counter to B a couple days before A, just as a hedge against the very unlikely possibility B suddenly severs. Even there though it's clear your skills are in demand, so even if B were to vanish I still would rather keep looking than accept a soul crushing commute for $145K or whatever.

I like this plan. I think I’m going to submit $140k as my counteroffer to B on Monday morning and go from there. I’d be thrilled if they accept $140k, but if not when I get a final offer from B I’ll ask for the moon from A.

Yeah when I started the interview process with A the $25k higher advertised salary than similar jobs made me interested enough to consider in-person work. Of course after thinking about it more and discussing it in this thread it seems like $50k is closer to my number to work in-person. I certainly don’t think I wasted time because if nothing else the interview practice has been very helpful. But it does seem like there was never really a chance I’d take the job at A. Unless they give me $200k of course…

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am confident I am the best candidate for the job and I will deliver immense value. I will be happy to sign an offer today if it is $X.

Quoted from way earlier in the thread. I’m planning on using this as the counter-offer to B:

quote:

Dear [recruiter name],

I hope you had a great weekend!

Thank you again for extending an employment offer to me last week. I am confident that I am the best candidate for the software engineer position and I will deliver immense value to [company name]. I will be happy to sign an offer today for a base salary of $140,000.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Mind_Taker

This look good?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You probably want to throw in some soft stuff about how you're really excited to begin coding grindr for maoists or whatever.

I also did not really intend that as a verbatim thing, immense value is a kind of joke phrase.

Dear [recruiter name],

I hope you had a great weekend!

Thank you again for extending an employment offer to me last week. I am confident that my COBOL skills will help you develop grindr for maoists. I will be delightedto sign an offer today for a base salary of $140,000.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Mind_Taker

Thanks!

Edit: I will be using "grindr for maoists" verbatim in my email

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Negotiation update: Company B only upped their offer to $120k from $118k but they offered 5 additional days of PTO annually. They explained that 120k was the top of their budget. Maybe a lie, but their advertised top end of the range was 116k so it’s plausible I guess and the extra PTO was something they offered even without me asking in order to make up for it. I told them I’d like to take one more evening to consider their counteroffer and they agreed. $120k is right at the median for similar roles in my area and the benefits at Company B are better than most (even before the 5 extra days PTO), so I’d be happy to accept the offer as is.

Meanwhile I let Company A know that I’d need $185k to accept their offer (I added $65k instead of the original $60k because of the additional 5 days of PTO offered by Company B). I am currently awaiting their response to tell me to get hosed. Once they tell me to get hosed I'm going to accept B's offer. Unless...

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 28, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah that's a win, congrats.

I'm curious: if Company A did come back tomorrow agreeing to pay you $185,000, would you feel good taking that offer and turning Company B down?

I feel like I pretty carefully arrived at my number so I think I’d be happy turning B down and going with A. Both titles were equivalent and the roles were similar so I feel like both would be equally attractive on a resume for my next job. The extra money would come in handy since I have kids and I’d love to be able to help them out as much as possible later on in life. On the other hand maybe I’d hate in-person even more than I’d expect? Impossible for me to tell right now I guess.

Either way as expected I just got told there’s no way they can approach $185k so they wished me well. I’m planning on signing B’s offer tomorrow morning. They have to update one small item on the offer letter tomorrow morning otherwise I’d have just signed it. (I wanted to start a week later than they offered originally and they forgot to edit that into the updated offer). Once it’s officially signed I’ll let everyone know!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like I pretty carefully arrived at my number so I think I’d be happy turning B down and going with A. Both titles were equivalent and the roles were similar so I feel like both would be equally attractive on a resume for my next job. The extra money would come in handy since I have kids and I’d love to be able to help them out as much as possible later on in life. On the other hand maybe I’d hate in-person even more than I’d expect? Impossible for me to tell right now I guess.

Either way as expected I just got told there’s no way they can approach $185k so they wished me well. I’m planning on signing B’s offer tomorrow morning. They have to update one small item on the offer letter tomorrow morning otherwise I’d have just signed it. (I wanted to start a week later than they offered originally and they forgot to edit that into the updated offer). Once it’s officially signed I’ll let everyone know!

And signed!

Thanks again to everyone in this thread for their help. While they didn't increase their salary much from their initial offer I think that extra PTO is going to be worth a lot. Also $2k more isn't nothing. I think not naming a number and not forcing myself to land inside of their advertised range also earned me quite a bit.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I asked for $22k more and I "only" got $2k more and some more PTO.

You should do the same they won't pull the offer. And in the incredibly small chance they do you are absolutely better off continuing your job search than working for a poo poo company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

8k more PER YEAR is a massive return for like...an hour of work negotiating tops?

Awesome job!