Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Really glad I learned about this thread from the monthly cross-site update thing. I’ve been thinking a lot about applying to positions outside of my company, which is the company I began my career with and have been with since. But they are taking advantage of me. I first started in the role that I’m in now about a year and a half ago, and in that time almost the entire department, including every person in management, has changed out such that I am one of the most senior people there, in terms of time in role. I have taken on additional responsibilities outside of my role, and also been covering one and a half open positions for the past four months. And yet, I am still in the most junior position in my department.

I had my mid-year review today. My manager praised me from beginning to end and said he considered me to be the “cornerstone” of our department. This year my accounts grew by 50% more than the company average, which translates to nearly $30m. That isn’t all on me, not by a long shot, but I play an important role in facilitating (and occasionally engendering) that growth.

My manager told me he’s “fighting hard” to have me promoted, which is the same thing he said six months ago.

My only apprehension with seeking opportunity elsewhere is that I am still fairly new in this role, with less than two years under my belt, and my previous roles at the company were in a different sector so I don’t have other relevant history to build my resume. I worked my way up from the bottom to get to a position that I wouldn’t be qualified for based on an outside recruiter looking at my educational background and work history. I guess that and, other than the pay issue (which is primary,) I am satisfied with the company culture, location, management and benefits here.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FMguru posted:

Agreed that OP is being fed a line and being strung along. I suspect they've fallen into that category that overachievers sometimes get dumped into - you're doing the job of two or three people, so why would they promote you? In your current position you are providing tremendous value to the company, saving them the expense of hiring a whole extra employee or two, and they have no incentive to change that, not when they can continually make placative noises (budgets are tight...next cycle...we're waiting for authorization from HR...yadda yadda yadda) and reap the windfall that you doing multiple jobs for one salary is providing the company.

Time to start planning your exit.

Yes, this is absolutely what is happening. My disposition is such that I will always work as hard as possible, so I need to be in a position where the compensation is appropriate for that.

When I was early in this role, someone in another department tried to poach me and give me a promotion and I declined it because I felt an obligation to the people that hired me, a sentiment that my then-managers echoed. Then they all left for other teams! That is to say that internal moves are also a possibility, and I have some contacts in various areas that I could lean on for that, but at this point I think my company sees me as a cheap asset and treats me as such.

I think what I’m going to do is try to put a resume together, maybe look into a resume prep service or something, and start trying to develop a career path while I wait things out at my current job so I can collect the year-end bonus and round out two years in my current role. Then I’ll start applying to external opportunities. In between now and then, I can apply to internal openings both to potentially improve my position here and signal to my current managers that I’m not satisfied.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yes, this is absolutely what is happening. My disposition is such that I will always work as hard as possible, so I need to be in a position where the compensation is appropriate for that.

When I was early in this role, someone in another department tried to poach me and give me a promotion and I declined it because I felt an obligation to the people that hired me, a sentiment that my then-managers echoed. Then they all left for other teams! That is to say that internal moves are also a possibility, and I have some contacts in various areas that I could lean on for that, but at this point I think my company sees me as a cheap asset and treats me as such.

I think what I’m going to do is try to put a resume together, maybe look into a resume prep service or something, and start trying to develop a career path while I wait things out at my current job so I can collect the year-end bonus and round out two years in my current role. Then I’ll start applying to external opportunities. In between now and then, I can apply to internal openings both to potentially improve my position here and signal to my current managers that I’m not satisfied.

Update on this: they approached me today and offered a promotion (with the company standard 14% raise.) Probably because I told them in no uncertain terms at my mid-year review that I had previously received offers from other teams within the company.

Doesn’t change things that much, I still need to get a LinkedIn together, update my resume and start doing some field research. As part of that process, I discovered that the person who I initially replaced in this role (and my former direct report) is now the director of a similar department at another company, so there’s contact #1 made!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I absolutely struggle to control my time in my job. I regularly work 50-60 hour weeks, and in an average workday I would say I get 3 hours of actual work done, spend 2-3 hours in meetings of varying levels of salience, and spend 3-4 hours fielding inane calls and emails, solving problems for people who aren’t my reports in either direction, and filing endless redundant manual reports. It’s bad!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

In thread-adjacent news, yesterday I had a discussion with my previous manager about a new (internal) opportunity. I told her that making a role change next quarter could be challenging because I was running point on a major project, and she (correctly) told me that there is never a good point to vacate a position, that the department would try to hold me in this role as long as possible, and that I needed to look out for myself first of all.

Funny thing is, when she was my manager hardly a year ago she told me the exact opposite when another team was trying to hire me!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sheesh, I didn’t even consider the possibility of negotiating at an annual review.

Though I did something similar at my current job in making amply clear that I would not continue in my role if they did not adjust my seniority to a level reflective of my responsibilities, so when my review this year did come around, that does explain why they took a defensive posture of “you already did pretty well this year, what more could you want” and offered a marginal raise that I was comfortable accepting.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

If you can get a four day work week I don’t know that I would give that up for any amount of money once I’d cleared $100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Congratulations, that’s life changing.