Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well the reason I was so concerned was because no number has been thrown out by either party. All I have right now is a "hey, we are going to offer you! What's your asking price?" and then radio silence since I bounced the "say a number" ball right back at them.

A good practice is to fake it until you make it on not giving a poo poo whether they come back to you. Maybe they never will because they only want people who lowball themselves, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tots posted:

What's your current salary?

Thank you for your interest. If you could share the salary range the client is targeting, I can confirm whether it's possible to move forward, would that work?

Added snark bonus (don't do this): A client's targeted salary range is one of the main points I expect recruiters to know.

This assumes you are in a job-seekers market, if there are a bunch of qualified people otherwise lining up for the position, you have much less leverage.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LochNessMonster posted:

I wouldn't talk to the director unless you negotiate with him directly.

Yes, DO NOT do this. You will come off looking weak as a kitten and they will remember that come next salary review time. To be entirely honest, you are being paid peanuts. By salary definition, you are at the level where you're not trusted in any sort of meaningful capacity. I know people who work entirely off of checklists and have zero autonomy who are being paid more. If you get some self-respect and have faith in your abilities, you will be kicking yourself for how you're acting right now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steampunk Hitler posted:

For what it's worth, I've found Glassdoor to be entirely unreliable if you're in any kind of high skill position. I've been significantly above what Glassdoor says in every company I've worked for or gotten an offer in the last 3 years.

Interesting, I've found it to be fairly reliable and matching other sources, but I've generally worked for large corporations. The more data points reporting, the better, of course.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Got an excellent offer, negotiated it up very slightly. Now I get to freak out about how I handled it while waiting to hear back.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

savesthedayrocks posted:

Sanity check please. Someone in my network referred me to come work at a company with them. I’m currently middle management, and the job title was vague about who I’d manage. I applied anyways, and got a response to fill out an assessment. Here’s where the red flags pile up:

1) Required question what salary range I needed.
2) In the about me section it repeated the question but in free form text, but added the salary for the position which is far too low to negotiate what I want.
3) Asked me to fill out previous jobs with ending pay.

So I’m not going to continue with the process since the job isn’t what I’m looking for. Do I send the recruiter an email saying thanks for the time, but based on the assessment we are too far apart to continue? Even if they had a position closer to what I’m doing I don’t know that I’d go through this form.

Tell the recruiter the posted salary of $X is too low for consideration and move on. Worst case you annoyed a recruiter (the horrors!), best case you get put on an A-list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Biomute posted:

The response I did get is both encouraging and puzzling. Basically they're saying that because of their focus on developing the skills of their consultants, and allowing them free time to hone their skills instead of spending every hour of the week doing billable work, they're not able to pay as much as other places. Their argument is that this makes them a better place to work, and more suited to my needs. I agree with them about this, it is why I went to them first, although similar freedoms and systems are not entirely uncommon elsewhere in the industry. They also say they have a good pension plan etc.
Their main argument for the sum in their offer is that they consider me to have a single year of experience, and that it would be hard to sell the non-relevant experience between my studies and my current work to potential customers. In his words it's about how they're going to present me to others, not how much the company itself values my potential.

gently caress that, every non-bullshit company has a focus on developing dev skills. I can get 8k a person every year for anyone on my team to go to whatever conferences or training they can make a business case for. This is not an argument for accepting a lower salary.

quote:

They finish by saying that I could probably get what I'm asking (or more!) somewhere else, but that I'd have to put up with doing what I'm being told to bill. I don't understand what they mean by this. I am a pro and I do the job. I'm guessing they are alluding to there not being as much (or any) time for self-studies or in-house projects and they just wrote it weird. They say they hope their improved offer is good enough. I read that as a hint that any further negotiations are impossible, but my guess from this thread is that it is not. It's hard to know just what to ask for and how hard to press, because the people at the top in this field make money hand over fist, and while you don't have much bargaining power without experience, even a little bit makes you a very valuable commodity. Some of my friends are have less education than me, and maybe an extra year of experience and would not be satisfied with what I'm asking for.

So, what next? I don't really want to settle for their second offer, because while it possibly is an improvement in work environment the earning potential of a job change can be very big, and I'd feel like I squandered an opportunity if my salary only went up what it would basically do naturally at my current job. Do I just lower my initial demand a little bit, say, by the same amount that they are reminding me their yearly pension plan is worth? Any good arguments?

If this is a business that will be selling you as a consultant, it's time to break out your sales skills. You don't get to the top of that business by being great technically, you get there by being good enough technically and having killer sales and interpersonal skills. Is that the career path you want?