Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Long read ahead:

I've read through this thread as I've always been horrible at negotiations and I'm getting into a situation where it may become beneficial.

I started at company A (pharma trial management) about a year and a half ago telling them what I made at my previous job (~55k). I was told $60k was the max they offer for starting as entry level here, which they gave me. They offer the typical benefits package (health insurance, 401k, etc). I love the job, the company treats me well. There are several large companies like mine and mine is known to pay on the low end, but they have a great training program, so I took the $60k to get a start.

People in my job are in high demand. I got this job from networking on LinkedIn (thank you linked in thread) and I still have a profile there. A week doesn't go by where I don't get several calls/emails from industry recruiters. After I got a lovely raise this April (from only being there 6 months), I decided to follow up with a recruiter who had been emailing me for a large, well established competitor, company B.

She said they'd need to wait for me to get about 18 months experience in my current position. They offer essentially the same job and benefits which includes fringe travel benefits that I have at company A. I didn't tell her what I made, but knowing my employer pays low, she said they'd be looking to start me between 80-85k.

I recently got promoted with company A with raise to $73k ($12k raise). My manager said that was more than expected, but my metrics were fantastic for someone who had only been there a year.

I told all this to the recruiter at company B (without the pay increase part) who keeps in touch with me. I assume company B wanted to wait for me to get experience to bring me in at the 2nd level (which I was just promoted to), I checked on Glassdoor and their average for the 2nd level position is ~$85k, whereas company A is ~$75k, fitting with the idea that they pay lower.

Should I be granted interviews with company B and land an offer, I'll definitely ask for more than $85k to feel them out. I'm comfortable with company A, know the rules and my managers are fantastic so it'll take alot for me to want to make the switch.

If I am granted an offer by company B, what's the best way to inform my employer? Do I tell them that I was offered $X salary or $more than I'm getting now? If I read correctly, it's best to only do this once and either accept if they counter or move on to company B and face the uncertainty (but embrace the higher pay), correct? People jump ship constantly in this line of work, with companies offering $10-20k bonuses frequently for people with experience, so I'm sure they won't be blindsided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks Jeffrey. Good plan and I'll keep that in mind. Should I even attempt to inform company A of company B's offer? Or only do that to tell them I'm leaving (if I choose to).

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the responses. In a couple months when I've got my necessary time in, I'll see if company B is still interested. I'll use this info and probably take the offer outright if given the higher pay. In this business, people tend to bounce from company to company when they're not getting what they want with assignments and pay, so I don't want to burn any bridges if I do go with company B's offer. It's pretty funny talking to colleagues who literally go from company to company every couple of years to boost salary and get bonuses. If I've got the opportunity, might as well jump on the bandwagon!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What is the experience like negotiating with a headhunter/recruiter? I had previously mentioned my current situation in this thread. I've been recently promoted at my current job and when I added my new title on LinkedIn, I got 4 messages and about 10 phone calls within the last week, which were completely unsolicited. One call stated their client is paying up to $95k. It's tempting, as I make ~$20k less now.

I haven't called back yet, but I assume these are contract jobs that don't provide health insurance (which I need), and I have great insurance now ($58/mo for great health/dental/vision), so I'd have to take that into effect. Do recruiters typically give an offered salary amount out in an intro call?

e: Is there any way to read reviews of how a recruiting firm is? Everything I find is reviews of working for the recruiter, not the 'recruitees' review of the process.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 11, 2016

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

creatine posted:

I looked at some staffing. Places but they pay even worse around here. I'm in Boston and the two I inquired at said they don't pay entry level people any higher than $15/hr and don't offer benefits.

I interviewed with several research places in Boston back in 2010. Nobody wanted to pay more than $30k for a research tech, except Harvard. They paid $37k, so I took it.

Sounds like pay hasn't increased in 6 years, which is sad.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Are promotions generally only 12%? I got promoted in November and got a 20% raise.

On that topic, what are typical % raises for promotions? Obviously they can vary widely, with outliers at both ends, but a general % range?

e: of course, you should negotiate, but if you didn't and just said 'ok, I'll take the promotion', what would be typical for that?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2017

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is fascinating to me - what industry do you work in that does not exist in the US?

Non-corrupt government?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I work remotely and have worked remotely in some regard since 2005, so this is what I do that works for me: If someone wants you to move to a higher COL area to work with them give them a choice between compensating you more for COL differences, or working with you to work remotely so the COL of where they choose to work doesn't affect you.

In general you're absolutely right that you want to focus on what you can bring to the table and not on your own needs when negotiating. I think that COL is different because they are imposing costs on your life both in and outside of work by requiring you show up to a physical location on a day to day basis. Your compensation should reflect that imposition: if it's important they need to cover the cost, if it's not important then they need to work with you to avoid the cost.

This is a good question as my wife and I are debating a possible move from Florida to the SF Bay Area in CA. There's a huge COL difference. My job is working from home and traveling, so essentially it doesn't matter where I work. Should I expect my employer to understand that when I bring up a possible move, or in general do people have to fight for a raise to move to a higher COL area even though I'd be doing the same job?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Does anyone have experience negotiating a package deal with you and your spouse with a potential employer? I know a few people that have done it.

Basically, I'm in a very desirable career, with several head hunters/recruiters contacting me weekly. My wife is in the same business (clinical research) but she works in MIS, on the IT side of it, doing data management, working on the systems that these companies that are contacting me use.

I have one recruiter that's been pursuing me for a year and I'd like to suggest that maybe I'd be more interested if she'd be offered one of the many jobs they have listed that she's qualified for.

Has anyone done this before? Any recommendations, specifically, I'd like to know when to bring it up.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

At my current employer there are 4 tiers in my current position. 1, 2, Sr 1 and Sr 2. I've been talking to a recruiter for a competitor for the same basic job. They only have 3 tiers - 1, 2 and Senior.

I didn't give them my current salary, but my employer is known for paying the lowest in the business as we take on less experienced people and train them. Their bonuses are approximately the same. I'm a level 2 currently and the prospective employer told me their level 1 starts about 20k more than I started at as a 1. Their level 1 is still about 5-10k more than my current salary as a level 2 and their level 2 maxes at about 35k more than I'm making now.

I'm not sure if I want to pursue this new job, if it is offered, but if they do offer a job, I'd like to ask my current employer for more $ based on a strong work history with many successes. Would it make sense to ask my current employer to match my level 2 pay to the competitor's level 2 pay even if the tiers don't match?

The one thing I'm not sure about is that I may (of course, not guaranteed) be promoted to Sr 1 at my current job in November or April. This would most likely bring me in line with the level 2 pay at the competitor, but if I ask for a competing pay increase now from my current job and I was promoted, I assume I'd get a lower raise for the promotion. If that happens, should I then ask for more $ for the raise at promotion time, or leave it as it is?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I had a phone screener with a large company that I want to work for in a similar role. I've been in this role for about 2 years. The current compensation question came up and I deflected it as suggested. She was fine with that. I'd never done that before, I always volunteered it right away like a dummy, so thanks thread for the confidence!

I really don't want to give out my current info because, based on glassdoor and a friend that works there, the total compensation (stock & bonus) is about 50k more than I make now. Plus a pension which I don't already have.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I spoke to a recruiter for a competitor and had a few questions.

I'm currently on track for promotion to Sr level in April (not guaranteed, of course). This would bring my pay up to ~$85-90k not including an extra $10k in unspent per diems.

The competitor I spoke to won't allow me to come in as a senior with under 3 years experience. That pay range on glass door is 110-117k. They would have to bring me in as a level 2 and don't do per diems. I told the recruiter I'd want 90-110k. This is to offset the loss of per diem and the fact that I'd be switching companies. Can I tell them that the reason I want more than normal is to offset the unspent per diems and that I don't spend my per diems and keep anything unspent? They're all under the GSA per diem rate - I just don't splurge on the road.

Their only level 2 salary on glass door is from 82-89k, so I'd be asking a premium over this. She already told me she couldn't do 110k, but would I be ok at 90k. I told her that I'd consider what they come up with.

I'd also be leaving about $2k of non-vested 401k money on the table. Should I bring this up as well?

My options would be to take this new, comparable, job for 90k with the possibility for promotion to senior sometime later with 110k+ or take a promotion to senior with the current company as soon as April to 85-90k with additional ~10k in per diems with the eventual promotion to senior 2 later (3+ years away).

Or a third option, take the offer to my current employer, see if they'll pay me more now and maybe still get a promotion as soon as April, but probably not as much $.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can anyone debate the benefit or lack of it from going from an employer that has a UHC PPO that I pay very little for (something like $20 bi weekly) vs a prospective employer that only offers an HSA and HRA options that would be about $120 bi weekly? I've always had PPOs, so I was unsure of even getting beyond the interview if this is a bad idea.

FWIW, I have a chronic condition that requires daily medication, but that's about it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

They only offer HSA and HRA and no other healthcare benefits?

If so, that means:

- You get to keep what goes in your HSA forever. It is yours.
- Your employer keeps whatever is in your HRA at the end of the year that you didn't spend. This better not come out of your paycheck!
- You need to go buy your own insurance on an exchange to fulfill the ACA individual mandate.
- If your healthcare expenses exceed your HSA and HRA balances, you get to join the large percentage of Americans in significant medical debt!

Sounds like a bad option to me. I'd hard pass.

This was my assessment as well, thanks for confirming.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife was pretty much topped out at her current position in healthcare IT and had no room for progression. She interviewed at the other big hospital here for a similar role, but it’s more in line with what she wants to do and will give her good experience to roll that into something more lucrative in the future. She had a great interview and we knew a few people on this inside and high up in finance.

She was offered about 10k less than she currently makes for this job and considered it as it was a stepping stone to something better. We discussed and she held out for a little more. They ended up offering her about 2k (about 11k more than the first offer) more than she makes now, which she thought was on the extremely high end of what the market is paying.

Always ask for more, especially in this job market!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

asur posted:

Why can't you just tell the potential employee the range you're willing to pay and let them decide if they want to move forward in the process?

I mean, not that I disagree, but I imagine the exchange would go like this every single time:

“We can offer 80-100k”
“Ok, well I’ll need 100k then and won’t take less”

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My dude, starting managers at McDonald's make $48,000 what are you doing you have an "MBA in finance" this isn't even that hard.

Yeah, I thought $50k was low for that type of management experience. I mean, I know Indiana sucks rear end, but I didn’t know it sucked that bad. Right out of college, my brother managed a warehouse for a major soft drink manufacturer in the middle of bumfuck, PA and he made a lot more than 50k. Goddamn. Get the MBA and GTFO that job.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What’s the best way to ask for reassignment of a project?

Last year I was assigned a project that I really enjoyed working on, and it showed. I exceeded all my metrics and earned a performance excellence award for my work on that project. As a result, I got a nice bonus and was promoted to senior level with a 20% pay increase effective 4/1.

Once that project completed, I rolled onto another project that has stalled and I’ve sat at home (I work remote and typically travel the east coast) for 3 months doing nothing and complaining to my manager that I have nothing to do. It’s still slow and I’ve hinted that I want to work on another project that keeps me busy with lots of travel. I’ve also outright asked to be re-assigned to another therapeutic area which is hard to break into, but there’s a constant need. I had asked for a hard timeline and was told “we’ll see how the progression goes on your current project”, which sounds like carrot dangling to me. The current project would run until 11/2019, so I really don’t want to spend the next 18 months working on a project that I won’t enjoy.

I’m impatient and there are several issues that make the current project less desirable for me to work on, however, many people in my position would really want to work on this one (max 40 hours/week, less travel, more nights at home, etc). Turnover within my industry is high because there are often sign on bonuses and people will bounce from company to company and back again for bonuses. I have constantly have recruiters asking if I’m interested. I’d like to stay at my current company, but not if they’re going to keep me on projects that I don’t want to work on.

Is there an acceptable way to ask for re-assignment by hinting that I’m looking elsewhere and entertaining offers from other companies?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Putting someone on a project wherein they aren't doing anything for months at a time and ignoring their requests for something to do is a pretty standard way megacorps let people know their services are no longer needed. Most likely they want you finding another job and the sooner the better. It's either that or it's just a fantastically hosed up organization, in which case you will want to find another job and the sooner the better.

Thanks, yeah, I’ve been looking and talking to a few recruiters, so I’ll keep doing that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Just letting the people stagnate until they get fed up and want to go elsewhere? Why give me a promotion and a raise then? The corporate world confuses me so much sometimes.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zauper posted:

Agreed. I didn't mean to make it sound like you're signing a three year contract or something. You should always be open to new opportunities, but you also need to recognize that it takes to, generally, to demonstrate value and if you never do that, your ceiling will be functionally capped.

If I'm hiring a product manager and someone has 10 years experience but never more than 18 months at a job, I'm going to be skeptical of their ability to manage the life cycle of a product over time, with all of the P&L implications.

When I'm hiring someone to manage member growth for us, there's no world in which we weren't hiring someone who has achieved viral growth before and sustained it for a period of time, since we would be looking for a proven track record of success. Someone like the example above is unlikely to get an interview as a result.

I’m assuming they know that people bounce around because they want more pay, but does it go without saying that when asked why you moved from company to company every three years, you shouldn’t tell a hiring manager it’s because the companies offered lovely pay increases each year?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FWIW, I don’t like Texas, but I’ve liked Houston every time I’ve had to go there for work. I’ve thought about moving there myself.

Advice from this thread is good for negotiating, but when it comes to moving, you should probably visit your new prospective city and judge for yourself.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Has anyone worked with Lancesoft before? I guess they’re recruiting for a “big pharma” senior role and they contacted me. I’ve been talking to some corporate recruiters for a senior level job, but they all work for the company I’m interviewing with.

This seems like it’s a headhunter/outside recruiter. Is there anything I should know about them to negotiate effectively? Once recruited by one of these firms, do you work for the recruiter (like an agency job), or would they be placing me in a job with the “big pharma” co? I’m awaiting confirmation of an interview with another company as well, do I tell them this?

Sorry about the dumb questions, I’ve not worked with an actual recruiting company before and want to know what to expect before I put my foot in my mouth.

e: I’ve found if I google the job posting, there are several recruiters/consulting firms looking for this same job description and I’ve located the name of the pharma co that has the job offered. Would I lose out by applying to that company’s job posting instead of going through a recruiter?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 24, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thank you thread for the good advice. In December last year, I encouraged my wife to hold out for more than the $83k she was offered. They countered with $93k and she accepted.

I also just accepted an offer following the advice in this thread. I’m currently at $90k, was offered $105k for a lateral move at another employer. I balked, asked for $110k-$115k and provided justification. They countered with $110k plus $2000 signing bonus, which I accepted.

In all my years of working, I’ve never negotiated and just accepted what I was given. Thank you for giving me the info I needed to ask for what I believe I’m worth! In short:

m0therfux0r posted:

Never don't negotiate

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I know the consensus is to not accept the counteroffer. I had recently gotten a promotion to a senior role at $90k at my current job. I accepted a new job in the same title doing the same thing for a competitor at $110k.

When I gave my notice, my current employer asked if there was anything they could do to keep me. I haven’t responded yet. I don’t think it’s a good idea based on the advice ITT, however, my current manager is probably the best I’ve ever had and actively goes to bat for me for promotions and changes that I request. I can’t really complain too much about my current job, I just want a gig that will keep me busy and the new one will obviously pay me more. I don’t know if the current job would match pay to compensate, but I wondered if I should even ask.

Am I being stupid?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Good points, thank you for the info and advice. Yeah, really the only reason I’d stay is the familiarity with the systems, my manager and if they increased my pay, but managers can can anytime and I can get used to the rest, plus I’m already getting more pay at the new company.

People often hop in between these competitors, so I’ll give the new company 2 years so i can keep the signing bonus and if I don’t like it then, I’ll look around again.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How long did it take you to get this superior offer? How likely is it that you can get another similar offer in a relatively short time frame?
I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter on 4/11 and accepted the offer on 5/1. Through LinkedIn, I get about 2-3 requests per week for screener interviews, so I wouldn’t be worried about getting additional requests.

quote:

Generally, yes, don't take counteroffers. Some mitigating factors that would lead to taking one:

- Other measurable dimensions than your salary are better where you are than at your new place.
- Your role is difficult to fill, so you have some lead time and will know when they've found your replacement.
- You are financially prepared to be fired with a good emergency fund.
- You have an unusually good relationship with your current manager.

The new company offers only 15 PTO days instead of the 22 I get now, but I don’t use about 7 per year and cash them out anyway. My role isn’t hard to fill, people hop from company to company pretty regularly. My wife and I have a good amount saved for an emergency fund (~3-6months) and I do have a good relationship with my manager.

quote:

Basically, if you can eat getting fired, if you can find another job quickly, if getting fired is a low probability, and if staying is economically advantageous, then it might make sense to stay. Your null hypothesis should be go.

I could probably weather all of the above with no issues, but I haven’t asked about increased pay. I know they can do it, it’s just a matter of will they. I still think I’d be better off just accepting the new offer and coming back to my current employer in a few years for more money if I don’t like the new place. People do it all the time and it’s brought up frequently on the company wide monthly conference calls in frustration - ie why let us go to a competitor only to bring us right back a couple years later with a big signing bonus and >30% increase in pay to do the same job.

Thanks

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, good suggestions again, thanks. I discussed it with my wife and our neighbor who is a corporate controller with a large hospital and reviewed some websites along with the advice in this thread and I’m going with the new offer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

If they came back with take it or leave it I would just leave it. The commute is about 15 minutes longer, and the hours are less flexible than my current job. That extra time with my wife and kids is more than worth the 2k per year.

Once I have the remaining details on the payroll deduction for the HMO/HSA I will counter. With what I know now the minimum I would accept is $85,000, if the HSA/HMO premium is more than I pay now, then that just gets tacked on top.

I recently was offered less than what I wanted for a position and emailed the recruiter back stating that I would be paying a significant amount more for insurance and I couldn’t accept less than offer+$5k. They responded that I gave a good justification and gave me offer+$5k and added a $2k signon bonus, so I say go for it and give them your justification.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zauper posted:

Ask for it on day 1.

You can also game it - ESI runs the whole month. Last day July 2 gets all of July covered; eligible August 1?

Yeah, my last day was June 1st and my old employer covered insurance until June 30th until my new employer began coverage on July 1st.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

rscott posted:

The WSJ of all places had an article showing that workers get basically double the raise by going to a new company over staying with the one you're currently at long term, it's kind of disgusting how much it depresses your long term earnings

“Never don’t be job searching” is the new “Never don’t negotiate”

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I will have to have my wife read the last page as she works in a semi software development capacity and is constantly telling me she has no experience with that specific thing, she can’t apply and won’t talk to any recruiters about it. I tried to tell her it’s her (10 years) of experience and MS degree that matters and her problem solving capability, the fact that she can learn new things quickly, not the fact that you haven’t worked with that specific product. She’s paid well at her current employer, but could make so much more elsewhere in a job that would challenge her more.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I have a feeling you’ll be told to jump ship, which is what I would do. If your mom knows the boss is frugal and they’re willing to bump you now, will you ever get another bump?

I also work in clinical research. Are you going to one of the CROs?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Yes, Novella (part of IQVIA).

I actually really doubt they'd let me go, since I'm the InForm expert and the company would instantly lose a lot of collective knowledge.

Gotcha. I’m at one of the other CROs, but I’m on the clinical management side. The industry is pretty incestuous and there’s plenty of CROs. If you get your info on LinkedIn, you’d be surprised how often you get contacted by recruiters, always with jumps in pay. I’m more familiar with the ones that use Medidata though, I’ve not used Inform. Good luck, whatever you choose. You’ll never want to give up working remote if you get the opportunity.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I applied for an internal transfer after getting the O.K. from my current boss. It’d be a lateral transfer going from a general medicine business unit to an oncology one, which is specialized and can be very lucrative. People don’t typically go right into this oncology work, they either have worked in oncology before, or they get lucky after getting some experience and transfer into one of these roles.

I don’t have particular oncology experience specific to this field, however, all my current tasks would be the same as the new ones, it would just be in a more demanding therapeutic area. I don’t know if this is pertinent info, but I’ve been told that I am in for promotion in November to grade 4 of 4 and I’m currently grade 3. The posting I applied to was grade 4.

Since I travel frequently for work, I have a lot of free time in hotels. Last year I got a side gig doing some work which is about 10 hours per week and doesn’t compete for my normal 40 hours per week. I did not tell my current employer I was doing this, so they are not aware of it. It is work with oncology though, so I have read through the protocols and have gotten a good idea of the typical structure of the clinical trials. It isn’t something that “competes” with my current job either - it’s different from what I do now.

Should I bring up the side gig that has given me a thorough understanding of oncology? Or would it better that I not mention it since they don’t currently know about it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the advice ITT.

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol please never tell your current employer about anything you do outside of your actual job description

I hadn’t planned on it, but it might have made me a better candidate :v:. We’ll see what happens - if I don’t get it, no big deal. There will be future opportunities with my employer or others.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Guinness posted:

It sucks BUT you can play this to your advantage as justification when asking for a bump in salary, RSUs, or larger signing bonus.

Yeah, I went from 22 days of PTO to a company with 15 days PTO, but they also give a fully paid Xmas week, which I’d always put some of the 22 days towards at my old company.

After reading this thread, I learned to always be negotiating, so even though I had almost the same amount of PTO, I asked for a higher base salary anyway. They offered $105k and I countered with $110k, which the recruiter immediately accepted. Of course, that means I probably didn’t ask for enough, but I was at $90k for the same title and the previous company, so I took it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I did a 90minute commute in to Boston by train when I lived up there. I wouldn’t do it again, but I got a lot of reading done and if it’s a resume booster, it’s not the worst thing in the world.

If it’s by car, ask for more money and then move closer.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ehh, just like anything in life, a job with travel is better for some, less for others based on your individual situation. Pretty much everything KYOON said up there is relevant.

I’m going to be 40 and I travel ~80% for work. The other 20%, I work remotely. I love it and I could never go back to a regular job. I do get stir crazy if I’m home too long, but I am married and my wife doesn’t mind as we got together when we were in our mid 30s.

Regarding it not being healthy - that’s a personal problem. I still keep up with my exercise regimen when I’m on the road (cardio and weights) and I eat properly. With status, you end up getting a lot of free alcohol, so just stay disciplined with booze and expense account dinners and you’ll be fine. I’m the healthiest I’ve ever been and I travel constantly, but it’s because I’m disciplined.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

People are built differently and responses are not always in our control.

Agreed, I can’t really argue with that. If you’re traveling a lot for work, as in your general life, you should try to maintain a healthy eating/exercise habit/don’t drink tons of alcohol. With a load of travel, you’re right, it can get pretty difficult at times, especially when you get status and you’re getting access to free food and booze all the time.

I suppose it depends on your job too. If I was working all day and having to cram travel in there, that can get pretty stressful and may lead to more eating/drinking easily portable, unhealthy foods. I’m lucky in that I really am only working maybe 2 days onsite per week and I can gently caress off and leave whenever I want so I’m not trying to beat rush hour.

It’s not really a binary thing is I guess what I’m trying to say - it’s not great or horrible. It can be either, both, or in between, but it’s what you make of it based on your personality, body type, food preference, etc, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Reading that has got me wondering. For the people that actually are hiring managers, what do you do with someone who you’ve done the legwork to being in for an interview and you want them for the position and they drop a ridiculously high salary requirement on you?

Do you drop them immediately and laugh about how foolish their ask was? Do you tell them you only budgeted for half of what they’re asking for and try to negotiate from there? Do you keep looking for someone with a similar skill set that will take a lower rate? Do you re-evaluate the budget for that role?