Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Gin_Rummy posted:

That is certainly a possibility, but I would hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to spend like $1500 on a person just to interview them and then say gently caress it when they don't get a lowball number.

I don't want to add to what are clearly high stress levels for you, but just because somebody runs a business doesn't make them smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Deadite posted:

Well what happened was I received two internal job offers, and then my current team realized I was serious about leaving and offered me heaven and earth to stay. Except according to HR policies the team I am on is not allowed to offer me anything after I've applied to another job, I'm just supposed to select one of the jobs I applied for.

Then me, my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss all got the same lecture about how this process works, because the company does not like it when teams compete against eachother for employees.

That is such bullshit. They're making sure you get paid the absolute minimum amount of money possible as a reward for your loyalty rather than taking your skills to a competitor and telling the company to sit and spin.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

So it has now been a full week since I was given the promise of an offer and I didn't get a reply to my email used to attempt to initiate salary negotiations nor my "hey, you never replied, is this even still a thing?" email. Should I just assume they didn't want to negotiate at all, or is this still a normal thing for HR departments? :raise:

Have you tried calling the HR contact?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I'm wondering what people think the liabilities for revealing some information of a competing offer during negotiations are.

If you hand them the offer letter they can be lovely and try to tank your alternatives by doing something bizarre with the company issuing the competing offer, but discussing other offers and their compensation packages grounds the discussion in the reality of the labor market.

You could redact the name of the competitor on the offer letter, but I think the real answer is that if you're afraid your current employer might pull something like this, you'd be a fool to stay with them anyway, even for more money.