Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I only just found this thread. If the job I am (hopefully) being offered soon has a salary range of $xx,xxx and $zz,zzz and I'd be ok with the mid-range of $yy,yyy how hard should I swing for the fences? I don't want to say Z when I'd take Y, but I don't want to leave money on the table either.

(Also thanks for the moving expenses reminder. I want to ask about that, but won't let it become a deal breaker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How do you know the salary range? If it's not through some sort of official channel, I'd ask for like, Z + 10%, there's a good chance they'll take you for Z since it's in their range and you might even get more.

The institution has a published salary grid. I fit a certain row based on the job I am applying for and that row has 9 columns from $xx,xxx through to $zz,zzz (technically $rr,rrr through $zz,zzz I suppose, but you get the point) and there is no column beyond $zz,zzz unless I move down another row (which I'm not even certain exists).

Thanks all. Here is hoping that the second interview I just finished will necessitate me taking part in negotiations when I get offered the job.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 11, 2016