Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Eric the Mauve posted:

With third party recruiters I honestly think it's best to just give an extremely high "sticker price" number, and when they say "The company can't possibly go that high" you say "Sorry to hear that, bye" and hang up.

The upside to this strategy is that all but the most hopelessly slopsucking recruiters will stop calling you, and once in a great while you might get surprised when someone agrees to your astronomical demand (likely because you're currently more dramatically underpaid than you realize)

e: Also it's good "confidently saying a very high number" practice for when you need to do it in a real interview/offer negotiation

This is exactly what I do for pushy people who won't give you a band first, and this post matches my experience. They either gently caress off, or every now and then you get lucky. My baseline for pushy people is a $10-15k raise from where I am now, and say I want to move up from that so you can always 'settle' and be okay.

The one thing to keep in mind is if a prospective employer does a background check that returns your income history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Yeah it very much varies state by state. NJ has exceptions if you volunteer it, if your employer has a presence in another state, if it's part of their 3rd party background check, they can't use it against you (lol). It's just something to consider.

And yeah, it was more an example than about the numbers. I use different amounts depending on the type of job, where it is, etc

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

m0therfux0r posted:

Quadruple that for pushy people. That's like a totally normal pay increase for a new job. If you think that's a really high salary for a recruiter demanding a number, you've been screwing yourself.

I mean I lie and add about 15 to my current salary. And then Ask for a 10-15 raise to change jobs. It varies a bit because I’m looking for a few different job titles and occasionally contract work for the right price (even higher) but generally this is recurved well.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

On the other hand fully exhausting your maternity leave / disability / etc and then starting a new job is about the greatest middle finger to a lovely employer you can give, so, if you can line up something while you can interview under the radar and push out the start date to just after you've fully sucked ever last benefit out of your current employer, that'd get you pretty even.

watched a friend do this, it was great.

For those stupid applications that won't let you submit without a salary number, better odds of getting a call back and getting what I want by just slugging in zero or putting something stupidly high? I can't find salary info for this position in particular.