Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm not sure this is the best thread for this, but it's semi-negotiation related and I didn't want to start my own thread for such a small question.

In early September, I signed a contingent offer as a Sr. Developer with a consulting company (Company A). The offer was contingent on my approval by the client Company A is starting a new project with. I finally had an interview with the client, and it seems that things will move forward now. Company A told me I'd receive a revised non-contingent offer shortly that I will need to sign to finalize my employment.

Meanwhile, since the interview with the client took so long to setup, I continued interviewing elsewhere. A manager from my previous company (who I really enjoyed working with) offered me a role on his team at Company B as a Lead Developer. This role would give me a lot more career opportunity and would be working with people from my previous company that I enjoyed working with. (Long story short: we were all laid off, and a handful of people all went to Company B. I didn't think Company B was hiring for my role, so I didn't explore it as an opportunity. Turns out I was wrong.)

Company B's offer is slightly stronger, but I am mostly leaning towards taking it because I'll get to work with people that I really enjoyed working with again and will have more responsibility / career opportunity. I feel like a jerk having signed the contingent offer from Company A so long ago with the intent of joining their team back then, but I read the contingent offer I signed, and I'm not breaking a contract or anything by not accepting the official offer when it comes.

I guess my question is: would I be in the wrong for taking the offer from Company B even though I signed a contingent offer from Company A a month ago (but haven't actually started employment there yet)?

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks all. I had assumed that'd be the answer. It's very hard for me to take emotions out of the job search when I feel empathetic to companies trying to find good talent. However, I need to do what's best for me, my family, and my career, and that should take priority over potentially burning a bridge. Thanks again!

On a side note, I did use some of the negotiation tactics in this thread, and the offer at Company B is a 15% salary increase + one week more vacation than the company I was laid off from, so that brings the conversation back to the purpose of the thread. :)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

If I see a job posting that has a salary range and the high end of that range is 10k less than what I'd target, is it still worth interviewing for the job? Or is that not worth my time since they probably won't go higher than their high end? I'd imagine the benefits for this company are slightly better than my current benefits, so that would certainly play into a decision.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I recently talked to a recruiter about a position in another state that I'd be very interested in. I am in no way interested in moving, however. Is it a waste of time going through the process with the intention of countering any offer I were to receive with "I'll take $X,000 less if I can work remotely"? Or should I be up-front about my "no-moving" policy and definitely ruin any chances I'd have at interviewing?

I'm in software, and have a lot of experience working remotely, so it's not a hard thing to imagine someone doing. And based on the salary range the recruiter gave me, I could afford to make that X reduction pretty high.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I emailed the recruiter about my unwillingness to move and will not plan to use that in negotiations in the future.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I'm a Software Engineering Manager in a smaller city in the midwest. I'm fortunate that I work for a company that recognizes my value and pays me accordingly. Being involved in hiring at my company, and talking to colleagues at other companies involved in hiring in our area, I know the market pretty well. This puts me in an interesting position in that I know I make 50k above average for my position in my area.

I enjoy my job and know how lucky I am, so I'm never actively looking. But if an interesting opportunity crosses my path, I'll take a look at it and see what happens. Since I'm not actively job hunting, I usually don't make it past the 2nd round since I'm not one to prepare for technical challenges, and there are so many BS 2nd round technical challenges in software nowadays. I chalk it up to interview practice.

All that being said, I've made it to the offer stage of an interesting opportunity that would be for the same position I have today. I've stalled long enough that they're really trying to force my hand on naming a number. The benefits comparison to my current job puts me at needing at least 15k to "break even" (no 401k match, no bonus potential, and worse insurance at the new place). If not for the genuine interest I have in the opportunity, I'd probably refuse outright at the benefits package alone.

Knowing the market, I'm guessing if I get them to make the first move, they'll come with a competitive offer for our area, but it will still be significantly lower than what I'd want to see, so negotiating up will be challenging. Do I name a ridiculous number and see how bad they want me? Do I hold out for them to make the first move and see if I'm mistaken in what is competitive for our market? If they did meet an extravagant number, would that put me in a bad position that I'm immediately on the chopping block while they find a cheaper replacement with me as their stop-gap?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks all for helping direct me towards a solid approach. I just got more info from them that they don't offer a bonus potential (I'm at 7.5% right now, and while I've only been here 3 years, I've gotten the full amount every year). If I include the lack of bonus potential, my break even is even larger, but I don't normally include bonus in any calculations since it's never guaranteed.

They do offer equity (unsure on the details of that yet), which is something I don't have today, but it's a privately held company that I doubt would ever be bought out or go public anytime soon, so that benefit is counted as a big $0 on my calculations sheet.

I'm going to tell them essentially what you all said, ask for a large increase well above what I'd be willing to accept, and be gobsmacked if they accept (or even get close to what my true minimum is).

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 30, 2020

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

As an update, I anchored high (50% raise), and they came back extremely low (7% raise) as their upper limit. After I declined, the recruiter indignantly told me that if I want that high of a salary, I need to start looking outside of our area. I reminded him that I'm not looking - they were the ones to reach out to me, and wished him the best of luck in his search.

Anyways, thanks for the guidance Goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

My wife is easing back into the workforce after being out of it as a full-time mom for 6 years. Through her sister-in-law, she landed a part-time, remote project manager role at a small town design firm. She'll be an independent contractor.

I don't have any market knowledge for the area, but to me, pay is secondary to the experience she'll be gaining to add back into her resume for the job after this. Would standard negotiation tactics still apply here? (i.e. get the owner to name an hourly rate first and go from there.)