Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A few things:

A lot of jobs I apply to are online form submissions that have a required field for prior/current salary. I presume if I put zero there it gets rejected. As such I inflate it for total compensation in my mind, because I worked really low hours so basically figure the lowish pay was worth more since anywhere else would have higher hours. Is putting in $1 like others recommended not going to get it punted when a human sees it?

Alternatively, a lot of job postings say to email with a salary requirement. Again, I start pretty high on this and say " plus benefits ". Is there a better way to phrase things?
In the one interview I had lately I was asked point blank the salary I was seeking, so I said it and essentially got laughed at for it being too high, they didn't even counter. I suppose I could just repeatedly dodge the question but it seems silly to try that- it's two parties going " you first " "no you"

And anecdotally, my wife gave the salary range answer when interviewing for the job she has, and they gave her the top of the range. Makes no sense.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Thanks, I'll give that phrase and others a shot. Unfortunately, the longer I go unemployed the more I'm willing to work anywhere, including places that would reject me for the $1 thing.