Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I disagree with people saying it's unethical - companies won't hesitate to lie and say things like "we'll plan on giving you a salary bump/promotion at the 6 months mark"

There is a fine line between a lie and a fleeting promise; a plan does not have to materialize, and so 'planning' to give you a raise and 'giving' you a raise are different things. As someone said, if you don't think this 'plan' will materialize, assign zero value and decide based on other factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008
Success story time (in part thanks to this thread).

My brother got an offer of X. I suggested he counter with X+15% and a USD 10k moving allowance to help with the move (moving across neighbouring countries). Only BATNA at the time was staying at home, no other offer on the table. We articulated the rationale (benchmark vs. market, move requires much cost etc). They accepted fully, no questions asked.

Nothing fancy or unusual but yet another example of ALWAYS NEGOTIATE.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Basically internal offers are a more nuanced, riskier game to play. The culture of where you work will dictate a lot of what you can and cannot do, and you know more about that than anyone posting in this thread does. (Probably)

Agreed. I want to echo the point around making sure you limit the back and forth - it can quickly turn from a healthy competition for talent into a united front against a difficult subordinate.

In my company, each role is evaluated by an independent rewards team (thus limiting the power a hiring manager has in terms of setting the 'rates') and the only way to really negotiate a raise with a 'lateral' move is to beef up the new position's JD - that way, it's an increase driven by higher level of responsibility and scope. So if this was playing out in my company and my current boss comes up with a counter-offer for certain title & scope, I would suggest a scope modification to boost the roles profile, obviously in line with what I perceive are the department's 'pain points'.