Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I would probably take the job and then immediately hunt for something that works for your current situation better.

This is your best option and should be the default option for anyone risking unemployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

It is an odd world where "this person is critical to our operations" is combined with "let's do absolutely nothing to make them happy". Yet, apparently, it works the majority of the time. I guess you just have to keep repeating how grateful they should be to have a job at all.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

That is an excellent point and I should probably be more open to the idea "the other person in the conversation is blatantly lying" if I went to get much better at this negotiation thing.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I'm not American and our pension system works differently, so forgive my ignorance; what is a vesting period? Does your money disappear in the void if you leave before the end of it? Do you get it paid out in cash instead of bothering with the 401k? What is the point of it anyway, from the company's perspective; they either give you the money or they don't, why would they care if it goes directly to your bank account or to your 401k?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

quote:

"I'm looking for a position with a Bay Area competitive salary at the senior level, commensurate with my experience. I'm looking for $XXX".

This sounds fine. You can always try to go with the "it is against company policy to reveal my compensation" line.

Alternatively, if you are really feeling ballsy there's always "No."

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

It is irrelevant to you how much they budgeted for the position. That excuse is the corporate equivalent of "I have 7 mouths to feed!"

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Think of it in the sense of

"I'd really like to work for you, but as it stands right now the compensation offered is not enough for me to come aboard. If the salary could be increased to $X [or $X+Y if you don't mind negotiating here] then I'm in."

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Some regions in the US are making it illegal to ask for a salary history. I think NYC is the only one that has actually banned it so far.

If you want, it seems like a good opportunity to practice true assertiveness. Don't give weasel answers, just say "No. This is not information I will share."

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Nothing is ever real until you have it explicitly in writing and signed*.

I feel so bad for you. Beg your old/current job back asap.

*I've already verbally and via email accepted a job but I'm not going to quit my current one (or even hint at it) until I sign something.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

fantastic in plastic posted:

:11tea: "What would you like as a target salary?"
:kiddo: "lol, a million bucks. Are we negotiating an employment offer?"

Literally* this if you are otherwise secure and comfortable in your current employment.

*Without the 'lol'.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Perhaps more importantly, don't employers have to disclose the budgeted amount for the position?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm surprised they offered him a cent more than what he asked for, myself.

If you offer a pittance more the employee will believe they are super valued and screw themselves in the future with raise negotiations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

that hiring you would be a mistake because you'd be gone to a better company inside of 6 months, and they're probably right.

Maybe in this thread, but everyone I know in real life calms down a lot after they get their job and job searching gets put on the lowest of priorities until they are laid off or the frustration builds up over years for more money.

I'm also guilty of that.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

You are more or less right. If you are overpaid for your job title, you can spin that in just being really good and revealing your salary works in your favour.

The real guideline is not 'never reveal your current pay' but 'never reveal your current pay if that puts you in a weaker bargaining position'.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Kudaros posted:

Any advice on scenarios in which they call and make an offer?

Other pertinent details: I have no other offers or interviews at this point. I am coming from a PhD where I was making 24k. My funding has ended and I am currently making 0k, but this isn't an emergency. The job would likely land me just shy of six figures in a low cost of living city. My previous plan involved a postdoc that fell through and would have payed slightly less in a very high cost of living city. I have numerous other applications for positions that are appropriate, but no pending interviews. I am not strictly geographically bound, but it would be to my major advantage to stay in this city for another year or two.

If they call you accept you doofus.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

I didn't ask for this directly, but you're right that I have no leverage in this really. Also, my mentor sent me a message saying, "You won't get a raise/promotion for this. Sorry."

Bummer.

Time for a new job.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

m0therfux0r posted:

Dunno if it's the same for Switzerland, but there have been multiple times where I've seen people I worked with be promised a higher salary when they complete [x] undergrad/grad degree and then it mysteriously "not being able to happen" or "bad timing" when they actually complete their program.

In most developed countries (US seems to be the primary exception), all job contracts are on paper. Even for McJobs you sign quite a bit of paperwork. This would be part of the paperwork and not left to goodwill.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

m0therfux0r posted:

However, the HR person setting up the interview refused to schedule it without me giving them a salary for my last full-time job. I tried saying I was contracted not to tell her, asked if she could put "1" or "negotiable" in the field, all that stuff. She claimed that it was to make sure I didn't want way more than the position payed,

The confrontational though satisfying tactic if they staunchly refuse to play is to tell them to go first. If they're afraid you'll fall outside the range, let them name the number and you'll decide.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

PBS posted:

Right to blow of a 3rd party recruiter

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

ask the recruiter if this is negotiable if I were offered a position?

As someone else has already mentioned; if you are negotiating, you don't ask things. You tell things. Because the answer to your 'question' is 'no it is not negotiable' while if you tell them you often find out that it is.

Sock The Great posted:

I currently get 25 days.

The minimum I would accept is 20 days

Should I share either of those pieces of information?

Nope.

Ask for 30.