Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Hello, I have read through the OP and I have one question. What about when you're interviewing for a different position at the same company? I may have an opportunity to interview for a different position in the same department I currently work. They already know my current pay so that chip is off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Not sure where else to post this, but here seems as good as any. Has anyone ever been told they were "afraid to take a step back to take a step forward"? First off, how do you interpret that? How much of a red flag is that?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

That's how I read it, thanks for confirming. I asked around and most people I talked to had never heard of that before.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Mambo No. 5 posted:

That's how I read it, thanks for confirming. I asked around and most people I talked to had never heard of that before.

I also received some feedback recently about my "poor" interview performance. In this instance, "poor" means that I'm not saying yes to absolutely every question I'm being asked. I was given context for the feedback from a third party, who appreciates my honesty. I'm becoming more and more convinced that I need to move on from this organization, despite being told that my efforts have been noticed by the former CEO and the shareholders (no one else received this message at end of year to my knowledge). Sorry if this comes off as venty, I'm frustrated by circumstances and anxious about finding a new job. I am very thankful for finding this thread and all of the advice in the OP.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Eric the Mauve posted:

Interviewing for internal promotions is usually a massive waste of time and energy that is better spent seeking a different employer. In your case, having already done it for a while you've established it is definitely a waste.

e: If it's known around your current company that you were in the former CEO's favor then the new CEO is probably going to view you as "[ex-CEO]'s guy" and never let you meaningfully advance

I don't think it carries that much weight, we only have something like 60 employees in this hemisphere. I shook the guy's hand once, whereas I've had a beer and dinner with the new CEO.

You're right though, this whole experience has taught me that I'm wasting my time.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I have found myself in an odd position. I got a call back for a job that I had written off as not being selected. What could this mean? We left off by dipping our toes into negotiations but I never agreed to anything, just said that "doesn't sound bad." I'm having trouble getting a clear read on the job though as the posting has two different titles and they weren't explicit during the interview. The number they mentioned last time is low for one job but high for the other, so my question is should I ask for clarity or negotiate like it's the higher paid job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I got clarification and it turns out that they're above market for the lower paying position. Not far enough above market to beat my current job. The interviewer was cool about it and thanked me for coming to the interview. I thanked him for his time, then we just chatted for about 10 minutes. He gave me his card and said to reach out in six months when they have the operation up and running, saying that by then they will know what new positions they will need to create.