Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if this is the correct thread but, I'm out of work, was laid off a month ago. I'm doing interviews now and one place is intent on hiring ASAP, like by the 15th. I think I might do pretty well and get an offer, but it's for a lot less than my previous role, and the role isn't as good (qa/sdet contract with an emphasis on qa at the new place, vs sdet permanent for more money at my older job).

My question is, how bad and dumb would it be to get the new job, keep on interviewing, and possibly leave the job within a couple of months or even weeks?

I feel like I could get 20-30k more elsewhere if I carry on applying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you!

I realise this is putting the cart before the horse, I may not get an offer at all but I want to know what's up. The other question is: do I have to tell people/put on my resume that I worked at the contracting company and left it? It may be better to leave it off my resume if I leave it within a month or two, but I'm not sure if that's 'allowed'?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
If I'm happy with my previous salary and would like it again at the next job, and it's a bit high (it was a california salary, I'm in CO now) would it be a bad idea to say it when I'm asked what I was last paid?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yes because there’s a chance that could’ve been willing to offer you more, and when you say that you’re not setting a minimum for their offer like you think you are, you’re setting a maximum.

I'm in Colorado and the top of the pay range for this job and most similar jobs is 24k less than what I was getting before. I have no reason to think they'll go 24k above their range magically without me mentioning my previous salary, but I doubt they'll do it even then. I suppose I just have to get a job and carry on applying for jobs that are offering more.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

spwrozek posted:

Fwiw our postings (also in Denver here) do not post the top of the range. We post the range for the bottom 2/3rds. Hiring into the top 1/3 is tough but doable for the right person and a good manager who pushes HR. So there might be room above the posted salary but maybe not 24k worth.

I had no idea! Thanks for letting me know. This is the kind of thing that I'd never find out without being told. I suppose it makes sense but I'd literally never heard that before. If the pay range is 30k the top third would be an extra 15k, so that's good enough.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm out of work in tech and have been since November. I just got a 'not an offer' offer, from the recruiter who is not at an agency, he works for the actual company. He called me and said "you're going to get an offer and this is what we're sort of thinking of" Note, I blew away all of the interviewers as far as I can tell, in my three rounds of interviews (about an hour each).

Previously he said the role was for mid level but I'm obviously a senior, and the salary is X and they'd try to get it bumped up by 20k but that would mean a lot of approvals, all the way up the chain. Today they said "we're going to give you an offer, remember this is a mid level role, and the salary is, IDK what I previously said but it's X+5k. Remember there's a bonus every year of 15%! But you're a senior and this is mid level, so, yeah, we don't want to give you something bad"

I asked, when does the bonus happen and how often does it happen. he said it's annually at the end of q1 and if I started this month 'obviously I wouldn't get it', so I made some sad noises and said, "look, honestly my salary at my last job was X + 24k. But just make me a good offer!"

I have no other irons in the fire right now and I'm hoping that they don't get turned off or whatever? IDK? At this point I will accept pretty much anything since I don't actually have a job, and I hope I didn't make them think that if they offer me a job I'll leave as soon as I get a higher salary. But yeah if they offer me a really low salary (like X+5k) I will in fact be doing that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jordan7hm posted:

Do you work in an industry where leaving this job after a month would burn too many bridges? If not accept the job regardless and keep looking for something better. Don’t even put the new job on your resume.

It's tech so not really. I'd piss off my friend who got me the job, but the tech market is so bad right now that I think I just need to take what I get and like it. I suspect that even if I keep looking I won't find anything soon.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

I'm out of work in tech and have been since November. I just got a 'not an offer' offer, from the recruiter who is not at an agency, he works for the actual company. He called me and said "you're going to get an offer and this is what we're sort of thinking of" Note, I blew away all of the interviewers as far as I can tell, in my three rounds of interviews (about an hour each).

Previously he said the role was for mid level but I'm obviously a senior, and the salary is X and they'd try to get it bumped up by 20k but that would mean a lot of approvals, all the way up the chain. Today they said "we're going to give you an offer, remember this is a mid level role, and the salary is, IDK what I previously said but it's X+5k. Remember there's a bonus every year of 15%! But you're a senior and this is mid level, so, yeah, we don't want to give you something bad"

I asked, when does the bonus happen and how often does it happen. he said it's annually at the end of q1 and if I started this month 'obviously I wouldn't get it', so I made some sad noises and said, "look, honestly my salary at my last job was X + 24k. But just make me a good offer!"

I have no other irons in the fire right now and I'm hoping that they don't get turned off or whatever? IDK? At this point I will accept pretty much anything since I don't actually have a job, and I hope I didn't make them think that if they offer me a job I'll leave as soon as I get a higher salary. But yeah if they offer me a really low salary (like X+5k) I will in fact be doing that.

The phone call was on Thursday afternoon saying "we're going to give you an offer!". My friend at the company said that on Friday during standup, my future (?) manager said he was talking to the recruiter about my offer, and to tell me that 'they're going to extend an offer to me'. It's Monday afternoon and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm wondering if this is still a normal amount of time to be waiting. They haven't interviewed anyone else for the job, and I feel like I should be relaxing saying 'I'm about to get an offer' but instead I'm not. Is this a normal amount of time to be waiting? I'm sure it is, I just feel like it's not.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

marumaru posted:

i do: i got an offer 1.5yr after a [single] interview with this one company
i had to go a search in my email to see if it was just some weaksauce spam.

We all got laid off on Nov 1 2023. One guy from QA had joined in the start of 2023. The week we got laid off, he got a call from a place he'd interviewed at in January saying that they want him and he doesn't have to interview again. He started a couple of days later!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

Ok, I heard back. They had approval for $X for the role and are trying to get me more money than $X. They submitted the request to get the position altered to be a better one with more money, and it's currently waiting for approval.

I suppose this could go either way now: I get the job with more money than they originally offered, or they get refused in which case ???? Either they'll offer me the original amount or they'll decide I'm too senior for the position. It could still blow up in my face!
edit: also the finance team is on a business trip for the week so the approval (or denial?) is taking longer than expected but my future manager is following up with them every day.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 28, 2024

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I could live with just getting the original amount of money, and in fact I have no job and no prospects apart from this one so I'm actually desperate. I would accept that offer in a heartbeat if they said 'well that's that and we can't change it', it's just that I TRIED for a better offer and it seems like it's working. My main worry is that if they can't get the better offer together they may not want to give me the original offer. I suppose I want to know how to counteract that, or if that's a stupid thing to be afraid of, or ???

edit: it's a pretty good setup already. fully remote!

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 28, 2024

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I got a call saying that the increase is approved and I'll get my job offer today or tomorrow. They bumped me up to senior and matched my old salary that I mentioned, but there's also a substantial bonus every year that apparently everyone at the company gets, or doesn't get. Mine would have been like 10% but is now 25%. My old job didn't have that so I suppose I'm sort of glad I got laid off, like I normally end up saying. Thanks for all of your help everyone.